Add your feedback on energy supplier Iresa

Comments

• I initiated my switch from EON on 14 January when my DD was set up. Since then I was asked to provide meter readings but when I tried to do this online I found out that the meters have not been set up online. So I emailed the readings. There is no communication from them. I have spent over 4 hours in total on the phone without getting through. It starts with "you are caller number 45" and after 50 minutes, "you are caller number 20". I then give up and so on. I have so far sent about 14 messages to them via their website and by email but to no avail. They had taken 2 DDs and were about to take a third one when I stopped the DD and claimed back the two DDs under DD indemnity scheme. I then asked Affect Energy (who, by the way, have given me a superb service) to switch. After nearly 3 months IRESA had not asked EON for the gas switch. EON tell me that electricity switch has taken place. So Affect Energy were successful in getting the switch of gas from EON but IRESA objected to the switch of Electricity because they claim that I owe them. I have asked them to present me with a bill which I will pay immediately but there is no response whatsoever. So I don't know what to do. I have lodged a complaint on 17 March. If I do not hear by 17 May then I shall take my complaint to the ombudsman. Any advice offered on this forum will be gratefully appreciated.
  • wavelets
    wavelets Posts: 1,164
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 8 April 2017 at 11:19AM
    I initiated my switch from EON on 14 January when my DD was set up. Since then I was asked to provide meter readings but when I tried to do this online I found out that the meters have not been set up online. So I emailed the readings. There is no communication from them. I have spent over 4 hours in total on the phone without getting through. It starts with "you are caller number 45" and after 50 minutes, "you are caller number 20". I then give up and so on. I have so far sent about 14 messages to them via their website and by email but to no avail. They had taken 2 DDs and were about to take a third one when I stopped the DD and claimed back the two DDs under DD indemnity scheme. I then asked Affect Energy (who, by the way, have given me a superb service) to switch. After nearly 3 months IRESA had not asked EON for the gas switch. EON tell me that electricity switch has taken place. So Affect Energy were successful in getting the switch of gas from EON but IRESA objected to the switch of Electricity because they claim that I owe them. I have asked them to present me with a bill which I will pay immediately but there is no response whatsoever. So I don't know what to do. I have lodged a complaint on 17 March. If I do not hear by 17 May then I shall take my complaint to the ombudsman. Any advice offered on this forum will be gratefully appreciated.

The ombudsman will sort matters out for you if it gets to that stage.
    From waht you have posted, it does sound as though you are/were in breach of contract with Iresa ;)

However, movimng on with this stoy, suppliers are not permitted to object to you switching unless you are in debt to them.
    i.e. 28 days after an amount has been formally demanded.
    With Iresa, you presumably agreed to pay monthly by DD, so you would not have got a deamnd anyway ... and the time limits don't add up even if you had.

What evidence have you got from Iresa that they stopped you switching based on an existing debt? Hearsay? Verbal communication (I thought you were complaining you could not get therough on the phone?) Or do you have something in writing?
    If so, please post a copy here and I will be able to advise further :)
  • wavelets
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Ok, now for a more balanced approach

I applied to switch to Iresa.

They confirmed my application within 24 hrs. It gave full details of timings.

Now that the cooling off poeriod has expired, I have received notification of my first DD collection (in accordance with the Iresa terms I agreed to)

They have also set up my online account.

They have also re-iterated when the switch will hopefully occur (another couple of weeks yet)

They have not yet set up my online account to accept meter readings ... but presumably they won't need to for another couple of weeks.
    In the event they fail to do so by the appropriate time, I could either email the meter readings, or better still, send them a message via the oline messaging I see they have already set up with my online account.
    (but I suspect, based on the fact everything else has happened as they have said todate, there won't be any issues)

Looks like some competitors are really upset about the low prices Iresa can offer (presumably because they don't waste loads of money on expensive call centre staff) and are on here to try and put consumers off.

But canny MSEers know a good deal when they see one :money:
  • wavelets
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    brewerdave wrote: »
    Don't know when IRESA started to pick up customers on their initial 1 yr fixes ......but it is certainly going to stretch them still further as people start to migrate away later this year (or try to!)

Why would people migrate away?

Yes prices have increased since their first offerings but so have almost every other supplier. They are still often very cheap (and I suspect if they were good for someone previously, they will still be good for them now)

Even MSE says they are cheap!
    (but questions how long the tariff can continue, because it is so cheap - so if you want it, get it whilst you can :))
  • Here's the email from IRESA:

Termination Objection
    Latest Update:
    The termination request we have received from Affect Energy Ltd has been objected. This is due to a remaining balance on your account. If you would like to change supplier you may do so without any exit fees but we must be notified and the remaining balance must be cleared before we will allow another supplier to take over. In order to pay this amount, we request that you set up a new direct debit so that the amount can be cleared. This has to be completed via a telephone call with ourselves, our contact number is 0115 727 0982.
    Kind Regards
    Lottie
    You can follow the full message trail in your online account. Please contact us on 01157270982 for any concerns or questions.

Kind Regards,
    Iresa Customer Support Team

There is no charge whatsoever on my account. So how can I clear an unknown debt. Please read my original post carefully. I have explained. I am not in breach of contract but IRESA is!
  • wavelets
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 8 April 2017 at 11:49AM
    Here's the email from IRESA:

Termination Objection
    Latest Update:
    The termination request we have received from Affect Energy Ltd has been objected. This is due to a remaining balance on your account. If you would like to change supplier you may do so without any exit fees but we must be notified and the remaining balance must be cleared before we will allow another supplier to take over. In order to pay this amount, we request that you set up a new direct debit so that the amount can be cleared. This has to be completed via a telephone call with ourselves, our contact number is 0115 727 0982.
    Kind Regards
    Lottie
    You can follow the full message trail in your online account. Please contact us on 01157270982 for any concerns or questions.

Kind Regards,
    Iresa Customer Support Team

There is no charge whatsoever on my account. So how can I clear an unknown debt. Please read my original post carefully. I have explained. I am not in breach of contract but IRESA is!

I beg to differ. You do not seem to have a live direct debit mandate in place.

You could end up paying a small fortune for that reason alone.

And that is probably why a bill (a demand) exists rather than a statement (which is not a demand for payment)

Read the Iresa terms you agreed to .

If you wish to dispute the amount Iresa say you owe, then I suggest you follow the Iresa complaints procedure
    You can find details here:
    http://www.iresa.co.uk/complaints-procedure/

As MSEer dogshome often posts regarding any supplier, best to put your complaint in writing (not email) headed COMPLAINT.

In my experience, I would also suggest you post that complaint using Royal Mail's signed for service, as unless you can prove the supplier has received the complaint, the ombudsman will allow another 8 weeks before they will start to consider it (you'll need to go back to the ombudsman service after those 8 weeks have passed) ... and only then will it enter the ombudsmans queue which will probably mean another 3-4 months before they investigate it.
  • Bearandbull
    Bearandbull Posts: 13 Forumite
    Many thanks for the tips on complaint procedure. I have just sent this:
    "Dear IRESA

I lodged a complaint through your website after logging into my account on 17 March 2017. I have not yet had a reply. You are objecting to my electricity switch to Affect Energy because you allege that I have a debt. I cannot see any charge in my account. So where is this debt? I have repeatedly asked you to present me with a bill which I shall pay immediately if it is correct but to no avail. I shall refer this complaint to the energy ombudsman, 8 weeks from 17 March, if you have not resolved the issue by then. I cannot get through to you because there is always a long wait. So why don't you call me?"
  • MCGONIS
    MCGONIS Posts: 699 Forumite
    My request through "self service" on their website asking them to increase my direct debit is still open and the direct debit has not been changed. The request was made on 22/02/2017. NOT HAPPY WITH IRESA.
  • PaschalFun
    PaschalFun Posts: 241 Forumite
    MCGONIS wrote: »
    My request through "self service" on their website asking them to increase my direct debit is still open and the direct debit has not been changed. The request was made on 22/02/2017. NOT HAPPY WITH IRESA.

Disgusting :mad:

And they pay 4% on credit balances ... that's even better than Tesco!!! :eek:

You need to follow the suppliers complaint procedure, and then they will have up to 8 weeks to respond. In the meantime, put any extra payments you wish to make into a savings account of your own.

I don't Iresa intend to be a savings bank
    4.14 Our interest credits are linked to your energy usage and so you promise that you will not make payments into your account just to receive interest credits. If we think you are making payments into your account just to receive interest credits, we will refund the extra amounts to you and may withhold the interest credits on those amounts.

If you are not happy with your supplier, ditch & switch.
    Iresa make this easy for you as they do not have any early exit fees :)
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,499
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    wavelets wrote: »
    Why would people migrate away?

Yes prices have increased since their first offerings but so have almost every other supplier. They are still often very cheap (and I suspect if they were good for someone previously, they will still be good for them now)

Even MSE says they are cheap!
    (but questions how long the tariff can continue, because it is so cheap - so if you want it, get it whilst you can :))

...I think that all the unhappy posters after you, indicate WHY people are going to want to migrate -on paper,they may be cheapest - but this lack of communication will worry many.
    I calculate my "indebtedness" via a spreadsheet, so I'm happy to continue for my leccy supply -but a lot of customers prefer to know where they stand on current balance. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure