Conservatory fitting issue

Options

Comments

• phil24_7
    phil24_7 Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    But yes, you are right, small claims is their only real course of action now.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    phil24_7 wrote: »
    Did you send them a letter saying 'In full and final settlement'?

If not then you have just paid some money towards the outstanding amount!
    We sent a very detailed letter showing how they had broken their own T&C and the logic behind our withholding £4k.

We added: "We shall continue to hold this money until either an arbitration judgement or a court has ordered its payment, because we do not believe that we owe you any more."

So, it's clear enough that we consider we've made a full and final payment.

• Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »

Now the GGF have gone silent. Our last submission to them wasn't acknowledged. Just before we sent it, they told us our case was unlikely to meet the criteria for submission to arbitration.

We replied that the only way forward for their member would then appear to be via the Small Claims route, where we would be very happy to meet them.

Which begs the question what is the point of GGF? One point is to con consumers into thinking conservatory purchase has some form of accreditation, and technical support. Basically to reassure consumers that whilst they are entering an unregulated minefield, there are worthy people with standards to uphold. However, the reality is GGF is a trade organisation which acts to protect its' members. Which is what you have found out.

The upside is you are happy with your financial position over all of this. But this is only a result of your mindset and perseverance. Perhaps 90%+ of consumers would have given in long ago and bowed down to the conservatory company. Which of course is exactly what the conservatory industry and the GGF want.

For years I have posted that conservatories are an unregulated minefield, There is nothing in your sorry saga which makes me change my stance.

But you are happy, so well done Dave.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    We sent a very detailed letter showing how they had broken their own T&C and the logic behind our withholding £4k.

We added: "We shall continue to hold this money until either an arbitration judgement or a court has ordered its payment, because we do not believe that we owe you any more."

So, it's clear enough that we consider we've made a full and final payment.

Well - let's hope thats that now Dave..fingers crossed. I've been following your conservatory saga - as I want a conservatory at some point.

I just hope you don't get caught on a "technicality" here. These blinkin' technicalities that sometimes cause things to go the wrong way. In this case the "technicality" that you clearly mean the money to be "in full and final settlement" and that's obvious - but you haven't used those exact words.
  • Davesnave
    Options
    I think the salient point here is that judges hearing small claims don't like their courts being used as a first resort. They're more likely to act favourably if there have been genuine attempts at a resolution via mediation and arbitration.

My wife and I have therefore jumped through the appropriate hoops to show that we're "reasonable people."

While I'm not 100% happy with the way things have turned-out, I'm content to leave the situation as it stands. There's plenty of other things to think about towards the end of our large refurbishment project.

Distractions like this just cause delay, stress and wear one down. It's time to move on.....
  • Furts
    Options
    Well - let's hope thats that now Dave..fingers crossed. I've been following your conservatory saga - as I want a conservatory at some point.

I think Dave has done brilliantly with his conservatory issues. But my alarm bells ring at the thought of you having a conservatory. Thinking of your recent paint problems, and every other issue you have experienced since moving West, I pose a question. Do you really expect to receive a satisfactory conservatory?

If you draw up a Specification on every aspect, then Project Manage/ Clerk Of Works the construction then you are in with a chance. Not a guaranteed chance because conservatory design and construction is largely smoke and mirrors. Dave has found this with his roof pitches, and box gutter fixing and sizing as typical examples.

If you want the dice loaded in your favour then opt for a sunroom.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Furts wrote: »
    I think Dave has done brilliantly with his conservatory issues. But my alarm bells ring at the thought of you having a conservatory. Thinking of your recent paint problems, and every other issue you have experienced since moving West, I pose a question. Do you really expect to receive a satisfactory conservatory?

If you draw up a Specification on every aspect, then Project Manage/ Clerk Of Works the construction then you are in with a chance. Not a guaranteed chance because conservatory design and construction is largely smoke and mirrors. Dave has found this with his roof pitches, and box gutter fixing and sizing as typical examples.

If you want the dice loaded in your favour then opt for a sunroom.

:rotfl:and I do see the point. What would you say was the basic difference between a sunroom and a conservatory? Quick google of "images sunrooms uk" and, on some of the pictures, a noticeable amount of the "walls" are brick instead of glass. Is that what you would say?
  • Furts
    Options
    :rotfl:and I do see the point. What would you say was the basic difference between a sunroom and a conservatory? Quick google of "images sunrooms uk" and, on some of the pictures, a noticeable amount of the "walls" are brick instead of glass. Is that what you would say?

The basic difference comes down to a simple concept that I regularly get off my chest. Conservatory work is entirely unregulated - anything goes and the Wild West rules apply. No sensible human being builds in plastic hollow profiles and glass units. Why? If we were factual and we should call these structures glasshouses and then pretended we were plants.

A sunroom will have walls, and proper foundations, and a proper insulated floor slab, and proper insulated walls and a proper insulated roof. Why? Because it is built to the principles of building and to comply with the Buildings Regulations. Conservatories are exempt from most of these concepts! Which is why one hears endless comments about condensation, leaks, over heating, poor ventilation and so on.
  • Davesnave
    Options
    Furts wrote: »

A sunroom will have walls, and proper foundations, and a proper insulated floor slab, and proper insulated walls....

I do have all of these on my conservatory, and plenty of ventilation.

It's the 'proper insulated roof' I didn't want, due to losing too much light.

I know there are ways around that....all too expensive. One cuts one's coat etc.

Money will have to decide, as I did, if the loss of light would be an issue for her.
  • Furts
    Options
    I do have all of these on my conservatory, and plenty of ventilation.

It's the 'proper insulated roof' I didn't want, due to losing too much light.

I know there are ways around that....all too expensive. One cuts one's coat etc.

Money will have to decide, as I did, if the loss of light would be an issue for her.

money is a switched on cookie. So I suspect a sunroom will meet the bill, but with adequate Velux to give light. Just be careful with the tile detail - large concrete interlocking do not go well with Velux on small roofs. Think of cut tiles and how they are fixed. Small plain tiles might fit the bill better.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure