Car insurance rip off

PLEASE HELP
My son is being completely ripped off with his car insurance,
he is 24 and NEVER caused an accident but was in an incident caused by some one else hitting his wing mirror with their caravan. The caravan owner reported the incident to his insurance but never claimed any damages as it was his fault. My son didn't report it and he just replaced the wing mirror.
firstly, he had two vehicles, one car (3 years no claims) and a van (1 year no claims) it was the vans wing mirror that was damaged.
He recently sold the van and the car and bought a new car.
went to insure it and being 24 years old claimed 4 years no claims. when i told him he can not combine the 2 vehicles he immediately phoned the insurance company and told them of his error. All was ok, but then they brought up the ongoing claim outstanding. 4 months and the man has never claimed, clearly he repaired his caravan as a he knew it was his fault as my son was stationary at the time. sadly no photos were taken at the time.
Now the insurance company are claiming he has undisclosed details on his insurance and now has for THE REST OF HIS LIFE has to admit that he LIED about his NCB and that he was at fault until the open accident case is closed, which could take YEARS.
This has resulted in his insurance premium DOUBLING and this will carry on for the rest of his life.
we have tried the insurance ombudsman but they don't seam too have an answer.
To be honest, i'm 57 and i had absolutely no idea that if you report an accident to your insurance company but Nothing was ever claimed then you are in default if you do not state this on your insurance renewal.
It absolutely ludicrous for these youngsters as he is a straight and honest young man and this could jeopardize his credit rating and clearly his car insurance.
PLEASE HELP WE ARE AT OUR WITS END WITH THIS.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Just to confirm - he lied about his NCD and failed to disclose an accident?

I'm not sure how anyone but your son is at fault here.
  • rudekid48
    rudekid48 Posts: 2,382 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Where's the "rip off"?

He claimed the wrong NCB and didn't declare an accident...
    All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    No rip off.

He is supposed to declare any incidents, whether his fault or not.
    He needs to learn to read terms and conditions,
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    edited 13 July 2017 at 11:26PM
    Whoever told him this must be disclosed for the rest of his life has misled him

Unless they cancelled the policy (cancellations by an Insurer are on your record for ever) then he only must disclose the incident for up to the next 5 years (depends on the length of history asked for)

You misunderstand credit rating - any problem like this won't go on his credit record. His insurance won't be doubling for the rest of his life over this incident.
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Did the Insurers actually cancel the policy?
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    your son has to take responsibility and actually read his own T+C, he must declare any accident.
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    deepspace wrote: »
    PLEASE HELP
    My son is being completely ripped off with his car insurance,
    he is 24 and NEVER caused an accident but was in an incident caused by some one else hitting his wing mirror with their caravan. The caravan owner reported the incident to his insurance but never claimed any damages as it was his fault. My son didn't report it and he just replaced the wing mirror.
    firstly, he had two vehicles, one car (3 years no claims) and a van (1 year no claims) it was the vans wing mirror that was damaged.
    He recently sold the van and the car and bought a new car.
    went to insure it and being 24 years old claimed 4 years no claims. when i told him he can not combine the 2 vehicles he immediately phoned the insurance company and told them of his error. All was ok, but then they brought up the ongoing claim outstanding. 4 months and the man has never claimed, clearly he repaired his caravan as a he knew it was his fault as my son was stationary at the time. sadly no photos were taken at the time.
    Now the insurance company are claiming he has undisclosed details on his insurance and now has for THE REST OF HIS LIFE has to admit that he LIED about his NCB and that he was at fault until the open accident case is closed, which could take YEARS.
    This has resulted in his insurance premium DOUBLING and this will carry on for the rest of his life.
    we have tried the insurance ombudsman but they don't seam too have an answer.
    To be honest, i'm 57 and i had absolutely no idea that if you report an accident to your insurance company but Nothing was ever claimed then you are in default if you do not state this on your insurance renewal.
    It absolutely ludicrous for these youngsters as he is a straight and honest young man and this could jeopardize his credit rating and clearly his car insurance.
    PLEASE HELP WE ARE AT OUR WITS END WITH THIS.

OP can I ask who or where you got some of this misinformation from ?

For examlle his credit rating wont be affected.

Yes he lied, maybe not intentional but he still lied.
  • stugib
    stugib Posts: 2,602 Forumite
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    Yes he lied, maybe not intentional but he still lied.
    An unintentional lie? An oxymoron surely?

To lie there has to be some intent to deceive or be deliberate telling of an untruth.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure