CCJ without my knowledge...HELP please!

Fading_Star
Fading_Star Posts: 22 Forumite
edited 7 March 2011 at 3:50PM in Debt-free wannabe
Hi everyone, I'm really hoping that someone can help me with this, I'm so scared!
I stupidly got into two catalogue debts back when I was a teenager. When I went off to Uni I stopped answering the letters, and they eventually stopped writing so I stupidly thought that I was off the hook. One catalogue had an original balance of something like £150, but went up to £500 with late charges etc. The second one had a balance of £100, but went up to something like £223 with charges.
I recently was contacted by Bryan Carter solicitors, demanding payment. I agreed to pay, and they would only accept a minimum of £30 a month. I can't really afford that as I'm currently caring full time for a relative and on a very low income.
After reading advice from here, I wrote to them asking to see the CCA. I also gave them an income and expenditure rundown and told them I could not afford the £30 a month, and offered to pay half that until I could afford more. They told me today that I had a county court judgement! Apparently the claim form was sent in May last year to my home address.....I received nothing! They said that the court had ordered me to pay £50 a month, and that they were doing me a favour in allowing me to pay £20 on the debt with the CCJ. I was given the case number and told to ring the court. I'm just gobsmacked as it's the first I've heard of it! What should I do? Any advice gratefully received.

Comments

• nottoolate
    nottoolate Posts: 1,359 Forumite
    was the ccj granted before or after you made the cca request?
  • Fading_Star
    Fading_Star Posts: 22 Forumite
    nottoolate wrote: »
    was the ccj granted before or after you made the cca request?

After....the CCJ was apparently made in May last year, but at that time, I wasn't even receiving letters from Bryan Carter! I certainly didn't receive a claim form/anything regarding a CCJ (I'd def know if I did cos it would've scared the life out of me!:P) The first thing I heard regarding making payment was late last year, and I made the CCA request about a month ago.
  • king100
    king100 Posts: 1,565 Forumite
    Hi everyone, I'm really hoping that someone can help me with this, I'm so scared!
    I stupidly got into two catalogue debts back when I was a teenager. When I went off to Uni I stopped answering the letters, and they eventually stopped writing so I stupidly thought that I was off the hook. One catalogue had an original balance of something like £150, but went up to £500 with late charges etc. The second one had a balance of £100, but went up to something like £223 with charges.
    I recently was contacted by Bryan Carter solicitors, demanding payment. I agreed to pay, and they would only accept a minimum of £30 a month. I can't really afford that as I'm currently caring full time for a relative and on a very low income.
    After reading advice from here, I wrote to them asking to see the CCA. I also gave them an income and expenditure rundown and told them I could not afford the £30 a month, and offered to pay half that until I could afford more. They told me today that I had a county court judgement! Apparently the claim form was sent in May last year to my home address.....I received nothing! They said that the court had ordered me to pay £50 a month, and that they were doing me a favour in allowing me to pay £20 on the debt with the CCJ. I was given the case number and told to ring the court. I'm just gobsmacked as it's the first I've heard of it! What should I do? Any advice gratefully received.

These guys are the bottom of the pit, they generally buy debts that are unenforecable or SB.

Check your credit file to see if you have a CCJ on it.

Do that 1st.

See if BC are telling the truth, which I would be surprised if they are.

How can the court order £50 a month, they would need you to fill out an income and expense form to make this decision.

Do not call them again, write to them, keep everything in writing.

Personally knowing of these guys from other forums they are the blind leading the blind.
    I all have learnt is from others on many sites.
    Seek legal help if unsure.
    Dont pay Private Parking tickets - they are mere invoices.

PRESS THANKS
    }
  • Hi,

Last year I kept recieving letters from Bryan Carter solicitors, claiming I owed Tiscali £129. I immediately contacted Tiscali, who said that I owe them nothing. My account was cancelled in 2009 but I could still log on to their website, to check online statements. Bryan Carter took me to court and got a ccj issued against me. In January I was contacted by a court baliff, to collect on the ccj. I produced six months worth of statements, showing that I owed nothing. A week later the baliff contacted me again, to tell me Bryan Carter would not accept these as proof. Even the baliff said that common sense should prevail, as a statement is issued by the company I supposedly owe money to.

I have now recieved a letter from Bryan Carter, which says that Dispite numerous attempts by the baliff, he has not been able to contact me, which is untrue. Now they are telling me I could go to prison for not paying my debt (which I do not owe). Can they get away with this sort of bullying? The whole situation is making me ill and I have had to take time off work as a result.
  • Kinger - Are you sure that the debt wasnt passed to Bryan Carter and that Tiscali are giving you the correct info ?

Check your credit report and see whats listed on there.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure