From debt to freedom...

Options

Comments

• Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    Had a really busy week since leaving DD at uni. She seems to be settling well and making new friends. Her lectures start next week so she'll have more of an idea of a timetable.

Yesterday was payday so I've paid £40 off the credit card. Now that the loan has gone and TCs restored I can start to use my wages to make payments to my family for the car. The double glazing payment goes out on Monday so will try and make an extra payment to start bringing the capital down. I've done a menu plan for the week:-
    Sat - Fish potions and oven chips
    Sun - Roast chicken
    Mon - Sweet and sour chicken with noodles.
    Tues - Lasagne
    Wed - DD's birthday so going out for a meal. I find celebrating on neutral ground less stressful.
    Thurs- Mixed grill
    Fri - pasties, requested by DS1,

Have got all ingredients in except the meat which I'll pick up on Tuesday.
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    I've also decided to double the s/o to my postal savings account aka the emergency fund. I was paying in £25 as that was all I could do. Now that the loan is gone I'll redirect some of that money to build up the emergency fund, particularly important after recent depletions.
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,036 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    It's lovely to see things looking so positive! I know when DD went off to Uni, her best friend and I sat over a cuppa and commiserated with each other for hours! However, DD had a fabulous time and so did we when we visited. The little ones must find it a big adventure, too.

Meanwhile... you are forging ahead with the repayments! Well done :).
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    Thank you for the encouragement Cherryfudge:)

Had a productive day yesterday. I spent a fair amount of time in the kitchen and made chocolate blueberry muffins, vanilla muffins, banana loaf and a carrot cake. Being away last weekend meant I hadn't quite caught up with myself on the housework / baking. Hopefully this will keep the tins replenished for a while!

Can't quite believe it's October already. I do love September and October for the lovely colours all around. Off to pick the last of the calendulas to brighten up the kitchen!
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    A bit of a wet and chilly day today,so a bit difficult to get the washing dry. I gave in this afternoon and got a fire lit so the washing is slowly drying on the airer.

DD3 and I harvested 5 pounds of Bramley apples from the tree in the garden and made an extra large apple amber...a perfect autumn pudding!
  • missymoo81
    missymoo81 Posts: 7,695 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hey honeysucklelou, thought I'd come on over, well done on paying off the loan! Gives you a little bit of wiggle room. Another one here who struggled drying the washing! So annoying isn't it! I'm waiting for it to be colder so the woodburner can be lit and the washing can actually dry! Have a lovely day.
  • MeandO
    MeandO Posts: 2,902 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Glad to hear things are looking up for you at the moment HSL and that things are a bit easier with the tax credits and loan gone. Your baking and fruit picking sounds just wonderful. Life's simple pleasures really are the most rewarding.
    Hope you have a lovely week ahead xx
    Mortgage @ 03/2019: £125K, Now: £66,970
    Mortgage OP's 2024: £738.03/£2000 Total OP’s: £8948.59
    SAVINGS: EF: £6523.98/£15,000
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    :hello:Thanks for dropping by Missy Moo.

Thank you for your kind wishes MeandO.:)

Not being under such huge financial pressure has certainly made a difference, but also taught me so much. All the D/DS and S/Os have gone out today so I'm thankful that the monthly bills are paid. I have DD3's school trip to London to pay for next but should be able to clear that by the end of the week. I've paid in chunks to make it more manageable for myself.

The toddler has not been terribly well this evening so I'm hoping that it's something that will pass with a good night's sleep.
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    Thankfully the toddler's health picked up after a good night's sleep. I was very glad to see him back to his energetic self!

Today is DD3's birthday so we went out for a meal (less stress and it means the ex and I can both mark the occasion with her, even if at opposite ends of the table.) I had budgeted £100 for the birthday. The ex did pay for half of the meal, which was a positive. It was really odd to be celebrating a birthday without DD1 with us but at least she was able to chat with DD3 by phone this evening.
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    I've had such a lovely day at work...one of those days where things flowed well and exceeded all expectations! I've had a NSD too which Is always a good thing.

On Tuesday I was able to finish paying for DD3's school trip. She is off to London in December, so glad that is all paid for and out of the way. I have a day off tomorrow so hoping to catch up on house and garden and potter with the toddler.

DS and I were walking near the allotment and spotted two deer grazing in a nearby field. It was so beautiful, we were stood there for a few minutes just watching them. I've never seen deer there before...a really special moment.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family