joint/single PPI claim

Before I found this, I used a company to claim PPI :eek:. Only used company for old loans in my own name but banks have come direct to me with refund offer for joint loans with my partner. Question - he didn't sign/engage with the claims company so do I have to carry on using them for the joint refund or just for the refunds in my name?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    He can have his half of any redress, but you will pay the claims company out of your half.
  • Ah thanks for that - better than nothing and lesson learnt!
  • [Deleted User]
    Check that it is better than nothing. If they take over 50% if the redress, you will be out of pocket.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Check that it is better than nothing. If they take over 50% if the redress, you will be out of pocket.
    ??

The Claims Company will want around a third of the whole redress award (plus VAT)

The Op's partner will want his 50% of the whole redress.

Whatever is left belongs to the OP.

So I can't see the OP being "out-of-pocket"?
    so do I have to carry on using them for the joint refund or just for the refunds in my name?
    You'll have to check the contract you've signed with the Claim Company. It's very likely you've agreed for them to represent you in ALL of your PPI complaints..
  • [Deleted User]
    If it's a third, the OP will be fine. It's only if the total fee goes over 50% that the OP would be out of pocket (remembering to add VAT).
  • thanks - I've checked the small print - looks like I've agreed for the company to represent me in all claims so might have a struggle to wriggle out of anything if that means all PPI have been even party to. The company have now written asking for my partner's authority for them to act - presumably so they can tie up any confusion about fees. I don't think he should be liable for any fees to them but I guess they could just charge me the total fee for the whole of the joint refund. I'll give it a try and feedback if I get anywhere
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I don't think he should be liable for any fees
    He won't be. Only you are liable. It's your contract, not his.

Remember, The Claim Company will charge a percentage of the WHOLE redress.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure