Help on item breaking - looking for advice

Options
Recently sold a gold stoned ring - sold without sizing and clearly showing and stating some tarnish due to poor storage. I tried the ring in a few times including for the photos. Buyer contacted me about 8 hours after receipt saying that it has snapped across the back and including a photo. She wants me to consider a partial refund to get it fixed - up to half of what she paid.
Honestly can't decide what to do - any advice?
If I leave it to ebay - what's likely to happen? If I take the ring back, I'm getting much less than it's now worth.

Any help please.

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,300 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    tell her to send it back , get it fixed at your expense
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,199 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Browntoa wrote: »
    tell her to send it back , get it fixed at your expense

I agree, take control of the situation . A gold ring shouldn't break like that, although the metal is a softer one it should still be able to withstand normal wear.

Ask buyer to open a SNAD case, once case is open send a label for the return (it will all be explained in the request console) once item is back click on refund and close case. Then take the ring to a jeweller for advice about either fixing it or scrapping it, if the repairs are expensive then scrapping it might make more sense
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Tealblue
    Tealblue Posts: 929 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    For me, much would depend on the ring's value.

Given the buyer seems to have opened a sensible dialogue with you, ask her if she would be willing to get a written quote to have the ring fixed and say you'd be happy to pay up to [£x]. If it's a valuable ring, that would at least save you the cost of having to pay insured and tracked postage to have it returned to you/sent back to her.

If the quote is any more than £x, say you will take the ring back and refund her. Then get it fixed and you can sell again, presumably at a decent price.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What gold was it, and had the ring been resized?

I had an antique ring of 18ct gold which had been resized - (probably poorly). Wore it for a while then actually caught the ring on something in the garden which broke the ring and nearly took my finger off!.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure