Warning and advice about LCS Utility Investigation Civil Enforcement Debt Recoveries

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    edited 7 May 2011 at 4:09PM
    Hellow-widelats. LCS asked me to send in the letter from the council to prove that I moved out of my old address on 6th December 2009. And they said when the letter comes they will drop the case.And so on Tuesday 3rd April 2011 I did sent them a copy of the letter from the council. That says that they,the council moved me out of my old address on 6th Dec 2009 and into my new and present address. And the letter from the council goes on to say that I do not live at that,(my old address) and have not since 6th Dec 2009. And so I could not have accured any bill at my old address between those dates 7th Dec 2009 to 18th July 2010.

I see no wrong in sending proof in the form of the letter from the council like they asked. As it cannot harm me. Because LCS cannot take any money from me unless I give them my bank details.Which of course I won't. And this was just a simple letter from the council as proof that I am telling the truth and that I did move out on 6th Dec 2009 and I have not lived there since. Therefore I am not responsible for the gas and electricity between those dates 7th Dec 2009 to 18th July 2010.

And I did speak to LCS on the phone,I presume a customer service advisor. And he said they got my letter from the council that I sent to them. And they will not be pursuing me for the debt. But I told them to put it in writing to me that the case is closed,because I still don't trust them.

But it is not over yet as I still have to put my complaint in writing to British Gas to Bob of the complaints department. Because it was British Gas's error that caused me all of this hassle in the first place. So I have every right to complain.

But regarding that bill LCS want me to pay. You are right,LCS should not go targeting innocent people like me and you. Who do not owe any money. Obviously somebody has used the gas and electric at my old address since I moved out. But it is not me because I moved out on 6th Dec 2009 and so I am not responsible for any bills at that address after that date. And I don't see why I should have to pay someone else's utility bill. Which is in effect what they are trying to make me do.

You could drop them a letter from your old landlord or council that proves that you were not living at your old address at the dates they said. And if they did take me to court I can more than prove that I was not living at that address. I am on benefits and I have a social worker who was actively involved with the council in my move from the old address to this one. So I can more than prove that I was not living at my old address and have not since 6th Dec 2009.

But if LCS do take action against me or if you do get a court summons we must get a solicitor or lawyer or go to Citizens Advice Bureau for further help in this matter. As we cannot deal with it alone.I have not told my social worker about LCS but I think that I should tell her. And show her the letters in case,they do take it further.

But according to the telephone conversation with LCS today,they said they have dropped the case against me. I hope they are telling me the truth. And I have already made a complaint to British Gas about this matter and the way I have been treated on the telephone. I now just have to put it in writing,which I will. I suggest you complain also. Barbara.
  • Widelats
    Widelats Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Hi Barbara, i didn't have to complain, when i stated i want to see proof that i owe this money, their head of complaints contacted me and said there will be no further action, and did give me a full apology.

I have not heard from LCS again, but British Gas have now made another big mistake, they rejected my switch request again and have sent me a brand new bill. I had already given them final readings and had confirmation that my accounts with them were closed - now the new bill, i find their mistakes to be unbelievably amateur.

Glad you got yours sorted out, its awful when they make these mistakes. I would like to know what British Gas say to you regarding your complaint too, they have not replied to this new issue yet of the new bill.
    Owed out = lots. :cool:
  • System
    Community Admin
    edited 7 May 2011 at 10:26PM
    Hello again widelats. I don't consider myself to be out of the woods yet until I get confirmation in writing from LCS or British Gas,that I will not be billed for my previous address. But it does seem that British gas are willing to close my case. And LCS told me on the phone that they got my letter from the council and will not be pursuing me for the debt. They said some thing about contacting the council to find out who moved in after me. But as long as they do not bill me for the debt which I do not owe. I don't care.

But I am worried that LCS are lying to me and are just saying they are not going to take action against me.When they are. So just telling me that they made a mistake and are not going to take action against me for the debt is not enough. I want them to put it to me in writing that they will not take action against me.

The problem is that when I phone customer services in British Gas.Each customer service adviser tells me a different story as to why my account at my old address was left open. Which confuses me further.

I am also worried that if LCS did take me to court. Even though it is likely that they won't win as you say. I am worried that I will have to pay for the court costs or costs of taking me to court. Even if the case gets thrown out of court. And I am on benefits and so I do not want to pay court costs,for some thing that is not my fault. Barbara.
  • System
    Community Admin
    UPDATE-readers of this thread will be happy to know that I got a phone call from the complaints department of British Gas. And they have confirmed that I will not be billed for my old address,as they are satisfied that I am not responsible for the fuel there between those dates,because I moved out before those dates. I also spoke to LCS, and they too told me they got my letter from the council, and so they are satisfied that I am not responsible for the debt.And so they too have closed my case. So my problem has been resolved.Barbara.
  • pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,239
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I had a letter from this lot today. Addressed to my address (door number 246) with the name of the guy who lives at door number 264. In the body of the letter they get his address correct.

I did call them to point out their mistake but having read this thread I wonder if the woman I spoke to was even listening.

I hope they don't turn up while my other half is here. He takes no prisoners.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • Widelats
    Widelats Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    pimento wrote: »
    I had a letter from this lot today. Addressed to my address (door number 246) with the name of the guy who lives at door number 264. In the body of the letter they get his address correct.

I did call them to point out their mistake but having read this thread I wonder if the woman I spoke to was even listening.

I hope they don't turn up while my other half is here. He takes no prisoners.

Neither do i, not only have i cleared this false debt, i have also cleared my genuine british gas bills of hundreds of ££££'s, worth complaining to brit gas head office.

Good luck with your new letter :D
    Owed out = lots. :cool:
  • geoffky
    geoffky Posts: 6,835 Forumite
    why oh why do people talk to these scumbags...remember you do not have to prove anything..stop speaking to them as they then think they have you on the hook.
    It is nice to see the value of your house going up'' Why ?
    Unless you are planning to sell up and not live anywhere, I can;t see the advantage.
    If you are planning to upsize the new house will cost more.
    If you are planning to downsize your new house will cost more than it should
    If you are trying to buy your first house its almost impossible.
  • khaoz
    khaoz Posts: 1 Newbie
    Hey, I had the same letter from LCS today.

Apparently I owe money to London Gas. Anybody even heard of them?
  • girlingreen
    girlingreen Posts: 24
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi, I'm up to the card saying 'It is our intention to call your address'
    How likely is it that they will? I have never ever been registered to pay for power with this property and regardless we have never had British Gas as our provider. I came on here thinking it was a complete scam but it looks as if they are actually a debt recovery company... Should I contact my power supplier?
  • khaoz wrote: »
    Hey, I had the same letter from LCS today.

Apparently I owe money to London Gas. Anybody even heard of them?

I also have received letters (although not my address but the address where my dad and grandparents live) saying I owe money to London Gas for dates that I WAS living in the property they claim owes the money.

However, I have never heard of London Gas (neither has google by the looks of things) and am sure the gas was supplied by EDF. Does anybody know if they are linked or are parent/sister companies or something?

What should I do now? I have already made the mistake of calling them because my dad forwarded the letters to me and was concerned. If I continue to ignore them my nan will keep getting letters and it is bothering her already
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback