PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Bookworm's Thread 2017

Options

Comments

• Serendipitious
    Serendipitious Posts: 6,446 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    This week's library returns:

image-medium

Annie's mother is a serial killer. The only way she can make it stop is to hand her in to the police. But out of sight is not out of mind. As her mother's trial looms, the secrets of her past won't let Annie sleep, even with a new foster family and name - Milly. A fresh start. Now, surely, she can be whoever she wants to be. But Milly's mother is a serial killer. And blood is thicker than water. Good me, bad me. She is, after all, her mother's daughter...

image-medium

A marine engineer who tumbles off a cliff path on a windy night. A burglary where everything taken was returned by the thief. The suicide of a man in love with life. An accident, a mystery, an unexplained tragedy. And nothing at all to connect them. Until, that is, Detective Constable Fiona Griffiths, searching for something - anything - to take her mind off the tedious job of evidence-cataloguing she's been assigned to, starts to wonder if all three incidents are not quite what they seem.

image-medium

When he was 12 years old, Adam Ryan went playing in the woods with his two friends. He never saw them again. Their bodies were never found, Adam himself was discovered with his back pressed against a tree and his shoes filled with blood. Now he is a detective working on the murder of a girl at the exact site of his childhood trauma.

image-medium

She loves her husband. She's obsessed by a stranger. She's a devoted mother. She's prepared to lose everything. She knows what she's doing. She's out of control. She's innocent. She's guilty as sin. She's living two lives. She might lose both.
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

• Syman
    Syman Posts: 2,616 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    29437949.jpg
    just finished this. Well worth a read.
    "Everyone knows a couple like Jack and Grace: he has looks and wealth, she has charm and elegance. You'd like to get to know Grace better. But it's difficult, because you realize Jack and Grace are never apart. Some might call this true love.

Picture this: a dinner party at their perfect home, the conversation and wine flowing. They appear to be in their element while entertaining. And Grace's friends are eager to reciprocate with lunch the following week. Grace wants to go, but knows she never will. Her friends call—so why doesn't Grace ever answer the phone? And how can she cook such elaborate meals but remain so slim?"
    Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today!:mad:
    Cos if you do it today and like it...You can do it again tomorrow.. :p

Bookworm's Thread 2019 reading Challenge total :- 1/60
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Just finished Book 24:

518gpbpJvUL._SL300_.jpg

9.5/10 - what an amazing book! Not for everyone, but offered me good explanations for what is seen to be very unusual behaviour. I feel somewhat validated by science!
    Syman wrote: »
    "Everyone knows a couple like Jack and Grace: he has looks and wealth, she has charm and elegance. You'd like to get to know Grace better. But it's difficult, because you realize Jack and Grace are never apart. Some might call this true love.

Picture this: a dinner party at their perfect home, the conversation and wine flowing. They appear to be in their element while entertaining. And Grace's friends are eager to reciprocate with lunch the following week. Grace wants to go, but knows she never will. Her friends call—so why doesn't Grace ever answer the phone? And how can she cook such elaborate meals but remain so slim?"
    Sounds like C4s "Humans" - is this a figment of virtual reality? :D
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Hobsons_Choice
    Hobsons_Choice Posts: 1,123 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just finished "The Watchmaker of Filigree Street".
    Really enjoyed it, though it's a bit different from the novels I usually read.
    A very unusual tale and I think I need someone to fully explain the ending to me!
    Normal people worry me.
  • Serendipitious
    Options
    9781408870310.jpg

Helen and Ellie are identical twins – like two peas in a pod, everyone says.

The girls know this isn't true, though: Helen is the leader and Ellie the follower.

Until they decide to swap places: just for fun, and just for one day.

But Ellie refuses to swap back...
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

• Serendipitious
    Options
    Driving along the other day, the song Jimmy Mack came on the radio and the lines 'He calls me on the phone - about three times a day' really made me smile.

These days the norm could easily be 10 times with texts in between. Then I went to the library and this was on display so I got it:

30962055.jpg

I read it in two days - it's full of fascinating insights regarding the delights and dangers of technology.

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options

30962055.jpg

I read it in two days - it's full of fascinating insights regarding the delights and dangers of technology.
    Just my kind of thing and brand new I see, thanks! Duly P'inned :D
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Tess Gerristen's Dead Again is a very good read. Intriguing.

I'm struggling with our latest book group choice, Pat Barker's Life Class. Not difficult, but hackneyed.

I do suspect it was my nomination, too.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Serendipitious
    Options
    pollypenny wrote: »
    Tess Gerristen's Dead Again is a very good read. Intriguing.

I'm struggling with our latest book group choice, Pat Barker's Life Class. Not difficult, but hackneyed.

I do suspect it was my nomination, too.

I struggled with her Regeneration, it put me off reading her again.

• Syman
    Syman Posts: 2,616 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    finished "The Girl in The Blue Coat" WW2 YA novel set in Amsterdam and based around the German transportation of Jews.
    Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today!:mad:
    Cos if you do it today and like it...You can do it again tomorrow.. :p

Bookworm's Thread 2019 reading Challenge total :- 1/60
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills