Grants available for homes improvements & energy efficiency

Comments

• Can someone tell me if there are any grants available that a single homeowner in full-time employment (nursing - NHS) can access to make urgent repairs to a property please? Part of my roof needs urgently replacing as it's heavily leaking and looks like it's about to collapse! Thanks.
  • phil24_7
    phil24_7 Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    KernowHayz wrote: »
    Can someone tell me if there are any grants available that a single homeowner in full-time employment (nursing - NHS) can access to make urgent repairs to a property please? Part of my roof needs urgently replacing as it's heavily leaking and looks like it's about to collapse! Thanks.

You would need a loan, probably secured against the house.
  • Could anyone advice me on any grants that help to insulate outside my home including a good finish on my outside walls I think I've Seen it done in panels then a Rendering and paint finish? I don't know what it's called but lots of terraced houses in my area are having this done!
  • Hi ,my husband and I are in our late sixties ,we both qualify for DLA ,our house is in dire need of new windows and a roof repair are there any grants for this? We are in Wales .
  • jlx45v
    jlx45v Posts: 11 Forumite
    I have just purchased a house in rural Wales. It has a Rayburn (coal fired) that is either on or off. Temperature is either 600 degrees or Zero degrees. More often than not, dependant on the direction of the wind, the temperature on the Rayburn does not get hot enough to cook on, let alone anything else! And yes, it has been serviced, the flu swept, we have been shown how to light it (although that seems to be a bigger chore than the actual romance of having the thing)

The Rayburn is the only source of hot water (not even an immersion heater is installed on the tank), there is a radiator in the bathroom that will only work when the cooker goes beyond 400 degrees (pointless, as the bathroom is next to the kitchen, so when the Rayburn is hot - so is the bathroom!), and a radiator in the bedroom (the same bedroom that houses the hot water tank, so pointless really because the radiator only works when the Rayburn is on, as does the back boiler that heats the water in the tank).

The Rayburn has to be fed coal every hour (or less, dependant on the wind direction) to keep it alight, and I do not have the time to sit in the kitchen waiting to put the next bucket of coal on, to ensure there is heating in two rooms from about 4pm to 8am the following morning!

We have no mains gas to the property, and as you can imagine, our electricity usage is sky high!

I want to know why I am not entitled to any help whatsoever.

I have worked full time for the last 32 years, never claimed benefits or subsidies etc etc, however, because I do not claim I cannot get help. I cant begin to tell you how frustrating it is to see if I qualify for a grant (or any help) for a boiler or solar panels and to discover I am not because I am not on a low enough income to claim a benefit of some kind or another!

With just me earning I can pay the bills, mortgage, car expenses etc, but it leaves little or no spare cash to put toward updating the property.

The house is a Welsh longhouse, built circa 1800, in need of rewiring (amongst other things), the walls are about 3ft thick.

I am not really interested in 'free money' at the expense of the tax payer, but having been a tax payer for the last 32 years I hoped that I could at least get some sort of help!

Can anyone please tell me if I have got the whole thing wrong and I am, in fact, able to get help? Preferably before I freeze to death :rotfl:
  • rob7475
    rob7475 Posts: 846 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    jlx45v wrote: »
    I have just purchased a house in rural Wales. It has a Rayburn (coal fired) that is either on or off. Temperature is either 600 degrees or Zero degrees. More often than not, dependant on the direction of the wind, the temperature on the Rayburn does not get hot enough to cook on, let alone anything else! And yes, it has been serviced, the flu swept, we have been shown how to light it (although that seems to be a bigger chore than the actual romance of having the thing)

The Rayburn is the only source of hot water (not even an immersion heater is installed on the tank), there is a radiator in the bathroom that will only work when the cooker goes beyond 400 degrees (pointless, as the bathroom is next to the kitchen, so when the Rayburn is hot - so is the bathroom!), and a radiator in the bedroom (the same bedroom that houses the hot water tank, so pointless really because the radiator only works when the Rayburn is on, as does the back boiler that heats the water in the tank).

The Rayburn has to be fed coal every hour (or less, dependant on the wind direction) to keep it alight, and I do not have the time to sit in the kitchen waiting to put the next bucket of coal on, to ensure there is heating in two rooms from about 4pm to 8am the following morning!

We have no mains gas to the property, and as you can imagine, our electricity usage is sky high!

I want to know why I am not entitled to any help whatsoever.

I have worked full time for the last 32 years, never claimed benefits or subsidies etc etc, however, because I do not claim I cannot get help. I cant begin to tell you how frustrating it is to see if I qualify for a grant (or any help) for a boiler or solar panels and to discover I am not because I am not on a low enough income to claim a benefit of some kind or another!

With just me earning I can pay the bills, mortgage, car expenses etc, but it leaves little or no spare cash to put toward updating the property.

The house is a Welsh longhouse, built circa 1800, in need of rewiring (amongst other things), the walls are about 3ft thick.

I am not really interested in 'free money' at the expense of the tax payer, but having been a tax payer for the last 32 years I hoped that I could at least get some sort of help!

Can anyone please tell me if I have got the whole thing wrong and I am, in fact, able to get help? Preferably before I freeze to death :rotfl:

I'm not sure if this is a serious post or not?

Basically, you've bought a house, and now want to spend taxpayers money on getting the heating sorted - is that right?

It's bad enough that certain people on benefits are getting these handouts for boilers, windows etc. Yet they still afford their booze and fags.

I've also paid tax since I was 16. I own my own home and I don't expect other taxpayers to pay for maintenance on that home.

This country's fast becoming a joke. It's getting as though everyone wants something for nothing. If you can afford to buy your own house, you need to be able to afford the maintenance too. If that's not the case, you need to look at renting so the landlord takes the responsibility of maintaining the building.
  • hails14
    hails14 Posts: 55 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum. I have recently just bought my first flat in Glasgow.

I have noticed my windows are wooden and the handles are broken. There some of the windows don't open and there isn't a fire exit through any of the windows :shocked::sad:

I have been worried about this recently as my neighbour leaves his property for 3 weeks at a time.

There is also mould building around the inside of the windows.

I was wondering if there is any grants available to help me replace the windows to PVC and have efficient windows with a fire exit.

Thank you in advance.
  • Hi there,
    I would be very grateful if you send me the link for the grant/incentive for low-income people.
    I am 59 year and earn £708 a month including tax credit. My gas boiler is not working since October 2015. i must thank to NPOWER that they have completely wiped off my daily standing charge until August 2017.
    I have had insurance covered but I could not afford to service my boiler so the insurer did not fix it.
    I am already suffering from bad cold and I can prove that frm hospital report so please help.
    Kind regards
    Tapas Chatterjee
  • Is there anything for underfloor insulation?
  • happyhero
    happyhero Posts: 1,276 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Hi I live in a 4 bedroom house and we have 3 kids. We bought our house when I was earning better money although we still just about manage now to afford the bills and stay put. Because the house is a fair size we had one of those boilers by Worcestor Bosch installed that stand on the floor and are about the same size as a washing machine. That was what they calculated we needed at the time back in 2000.

We now qualify for a boiler grant but I have had 4 companies come out and assess and none will offer any boiler that size, they will offer only smaller popular sizes.

I wanted Worcestor Bosch again but realised quite quickly I may need to compromise and except a different make or model. But the engineer each time, when asked, confirmed that the replacement would not be as powerful as our existing one which is a combi with a small storeage tank to give it the power it has.

Some can supply Worcestor Bosch but not the right model. I want to go ahead and I am prepared to top up any grant. We could really do with the grant to allow us to manage the cost.

I realise now its pointless to keep calling in any more companies only to get the same answers so I am thinking could I not get to the people above these companies and get them to give me a grant to put the right boiler in with me topping it up. The energy companies dont seem to have the power (pardon the pun) to deviate from the basic stuff for a particular case.

I dont expect them to pay for it all we just want some help as we do qualify.

Is there anyone to contact at the top so to speak, its not happening with the energy companies?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback