Why do people buy expensive cars?

Options

Comments

• fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    That's sad. I thought you had an Austin A45! I was saying to my friend yesterday that vintage cars are the only ones​ that impress me anymore.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    bigadaj wrote: »
    It is a peculiarly British trait though.

No, it isn't.
    A recent Bbc piece on Brexit stated that the uk is seen as a rich vein of profit for car companies due to the preference for renting or lease deals and the larger turnover per head, they stated the average car in British roads is six years old, whereas it's ten years in Germany and nearly fifteen in Spain.

There are nearly 200 countries in the world, you have compared the average age of cars in Britain with just two of them and determined that buying flash cars to impress the neighbours is a peculiarly British trait.

Do you work for the Daily Mail?
  • Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    fred246 wrote: »
    That's sad. I thought you had an Austin A45! I was saying to my friend yesterday that vintage cars are the only ones​ that impress me anymore.
    It's not just me then who thinks that when I see "A45" :)
    And I'd agree about vintage cars, but I was talking to a bloke with a nice, well used vintage Riley sports car some time back, I said "That looks fun" and he said "Used to be, but not so much with the roads these days" :(

Surprises me how sort of defensive people are about their choices though. As I said in an earlier post; people have what they want, they don't need to justify their choices to anyone else. It's not a competition. . . Is it?
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    No, it isn't.

There are nearly 200 countries in the world, you have compared the average age of cars in Britain with just two of them and determined that buying flash cars to impress the neighbours is a peculiarly British trait.

Do you work for the Daily Mail?
    I think it really is a British trait. Perhaps us folks feel deprived what with rainy weather and home living space per person 30% or so less than say, the Germans have, the compensation is that shiny new motor.
  • palgrave
    palgrave Posts: 95 Forumite
    Options
    fred246 wrote: »
    I was talking to two of our poorly paid clerical workers about cars. Thinking I would give some useful financial advice I said "please don't tell me you're on one of those buy a new car every 3 years contracts". "We're not rich like you" they said. "We can't afford to run an old car. We can't afford a repair." I am still struggling with this concept of the rich all driving old cars while the poor have to have new.
    And that's the reason they're clerical workers on a low salary. They cannot understand simple concepts. In truth they probably just want a new car to show off to make up for their low quality of life
  • Tiddlywinks
    Tiddlywinks Posts: 5,777 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Yep - the judgemental codswallop just keeps on coming....
    :hello:
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,213 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Jackmydad wrote: »
    It's not just me then who thinks that when I see "A45" :)

Austin was also my first thought.

However, my second thought was that there never was an A45, and a quick Google seems to confirm that.
  • Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You're right by the look of it.
    I never had one, they were getting a bit long in the tooth by my first car days. I didn't have a car until I was 25 I always rode motorbikes before then (and after for a fair time)
    Dad had a new A40 in about 1958-9. I think he actually had two, a pale blue one, rapidly followed by a red one (Tartan red?) Might have been something wrong with the first one. I don't know and nobody left to ask now. Anyway I knew that was an A40, But I thought the later model was an A45.
    Dad didn't really like either, and traded it in for a 12 month old Mk 2 Zodiac.
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I had stupid cars when I was living in forces accommodation but then again I was only paying low rent and the cars were tax free. These days, I'd much rather use my money for something that is more likely to appreciate such as bricks & mortar than a car which will depreciate as soon as I drive it off the forecourt!

On hoof hearted's point, in my council estate there are BMW's and Mercedes from people who rent, it is their choice but i think its financially insane when they could otherwise save up a mortgage deposit to begin to get themselves out of the mire.

This reminds me of the time I asked my Dad as a child "why do people on the council estate have nicer cars than us?", to which he replied "because we have a nicer house than them Son".
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    buglawton wrote: »
    I think it really is a British trait. Perhaps us folks feel deprived what with rainy weather and home living space per person 30% or so less than say, the Germans have, the compensation is that shiny new motor.

It might be a British trait, but it certainly isn't unique to Britain.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure