Hiring a Car - How well insured am I

2»

Comments

• wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,610
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    sh856531 wrote: »
    What I can't get out of them is what would happen if I cause damage to a third party. The nightmare scenario would be badly hurting someone and causing them a lifetime of medical bills. That's the sort of horror scenario that standard comprehensive cover is designed to protect against but I can't for the life of me get Enterprise to say that they are protecting me against that.
    The insurance has to cover 3rd party costs. That is the law. The comprehensive bit of your car insurance covers claims you make against vehicles on your policy. All car insurance covers third party costs. You either get third party only (you can't claim for damages to your car on your policy) or comprehensive (third party cover plus you can claim on your policy for damage to your car)
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    wongataa wrote: »
    The insurance has to cover 3rd party costs. That is the law. The comprehensive bit of your car insurance covers claims you make against vehicles on your policy. All car insurance covers third party costs. You either get third party only (you can't claim for damages to your car on your policy) or comprehensive (third party cover plus you can claim on your policy for damage to your car)

Yes ... but that's not what this thread is about (as far as I can tell). The hire company may have insurance that covers all that, but that doesn't stop the hire company (or their insurer) chasing the hirer for the costs.
  • Nodding_Donkey
    Nodding_Donkey Posts: 2,738
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Q When is Comprehensive Car Insurance not comprehensive

A When it's provided by a hire company

Let's face it, in any other industry selling something called 'Collision Damage Waiver' that didn't do what it said on the tin would be fraud.
  • sh856531
    sh856531 Posts: 442
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Found the relevant section in Enterprise Terms and conditions.

It turns out that your are insured by Enterprises Fleet policy if
    - You don't have your own third party insurance
    - You didn't breach any terms and conditions on the hire agreement

Responsibility to third parties:
    Unless the words "3RD PARTY COVER INCLUDED" appear on the Rental Agreement Summary, if valid motor third party liability insurance is available on any basis to you, Additional Driver(s) or any other driver, and such insurance satisfies the Road Traffic Act 1988 (as amended by the Road Traffic Act 1991), Road Traffic (Northern Ireland) Order 1981 or any other legislation currently in force in any jurisdiction in which the Vehicle is operated during the rental period, that insurance is primary and our motor fleet insurance policy will not cover the use of the Vehicle by you, any Additional Driver(s) or any other driver (as the case may be). You are required to report the claim to your insurer and comply with the terms of any applicable insurance policy. You are required to disclose details of any such insurance to us or our insurer on demand. If such insurance is available to you, but does not cover the relevant third party claim, you agree that we or our insurers may handle the third party claim on your behalf through our motor fleet insurance policy, and that we will have the sole right to settle any claim as we or they may decide is necessary, and you assign any rights available to you under your insurance policy to us, which includes allowing us to make a claim under any policy in your name. You agree to fully cooperate with any claim that we or our insurer may make against your insurer in such circumstances. If the insurance available to you, Additional Driver(s) or any other driver (as the case may be) does not pay any third party the damages they are entitled to as a result of you, Additional Driver(s) or any other driver failing to comply with the terms and conditions of that policy, you will have to repay on demand all costs incurred by us or our insurers in settling and handling the claim.

However, if the words "3RD PARTY COVER INCLUDED" appear printed on the Rental Agreement Summary, or no valid third party liability insurance is available on any basis to you or any Additional Driver(s), and you and any Additional Driver(s) are in compliance with the terms and conditions of this Agreement, we agree that the use of the Vehicle by you and any Additional Driver(s) will be covered, subject to all terms, conditions, limitations, exceptions and exclusions, under our motor fleet insurance policy against claims from a third party alleging injury, death or damage to property, as required by the Road Traffic Act 1988 (as amended by the Road Traffic Act 1991), Road Traffic (Northern Ireland) Order 1981 or any other legislation currently in force in any jurisdiction in which you operate the Vehicle with our permission. You may request a copy of our policy from our registered office. The policy gives the insurer the sole right to settle any claim as they may decide is necessary. You agree to fully cooperate and assist us and our insurers in the investigation of any third party claim. If our insurers are required to make any payment to a third party as a result of the use of the Vehicle which involved a breach by you or any Additional Driver of any of the terms and conditions of this Agreement or of our motor fleet insurance policy, you will have to pay on demand all sums paid by our insurers in relation to the claim. This is in addition to any damages which we may legally claim as a result of the breach. If you provide false information in relation to any third party claim, or if we or our insurers suspect fraud, we may notify fraud prevention agencies and databases, and you may be prosecuted.
  • mgfvvc
    mgfvvc Posts: 1,169
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Yeah - I think I'm going to give it a go the next time I hire. The only thing that gives me a slight doubt is the fact that all the excess places seem to be relatively niche and small outfits. I'd be happier giving them money if it were the likes of Direct Line with a track record of actually paying out.

I have used and claimed from direct-carexcess.co.uk. They are part of AIG, a very big multinational, not a niche insurer. As the price is competitive and the claims process was reasonable, I am happy to recommend them.
  • mrmot
    mrmot Posts: 192 Forumite
    To be honest I don't mind having an excess of 1K as I very rarely write off cars ;-)
    S

But it's not just your care of the car during the hire period, you can bet if it sustains damage from any source, they'll charge the excess.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure