PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Help, first time buyer in London with £55k/year

Options

Comments

• Mark1987
    Mark1987 Posts: 101 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    economic wrote: »
    where have you invested the 140k to get 4-5k return?

My parents made some investments outside the UK. I don't know exactly what. Do you think I could get more than that with my savings?

How much should I save each year to keep my savings in line with the house price rise in London?
  • economic
    economic Posts: 3,002 Forumite
    Options
    Mark1987 wrote: »
    My parents made some investments outside the UK. I don't know exactly what. Do you think I could get more than that with my savings?

How much should I save each year to keep my savings in line with the house price rise in London?

i think you need to realise house prices are not guraranteed to go up every year.

i would just stick some cash in stocks, some in high interest savings, some in p2p. you dont need to put it in anything else really.
  • Mark1987
    Options
    In case I don't have doubts about living London and I want to stay what should I start to look at with my budget? Houses around 350k seem to be the best option.
  • SuboJvR
    SuboJvR Posts: 481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Whilst I appreciate all too well that it is frustrating to be paying high rental costs, I don't think you need to be in any rush. You're doing pretty well; good salary, good savings, scope to save more.

But you're not sure of where you want to "settle down", granted not everyone makes a plan to stay in the same house for 50 years. Maybe I'm old fashioned but I wanted to try and buy a house that I could see myself staying in, assuming no other drastic life changes. But you're not even sure if you want to stay in London for the next couple of years! Renting gives you flexibility, it puts you in a great position to buy when you feel ready. You could meet the person of your dreams tomorrow and want to settle down and buy a place together, which would get a little complicated. You could end up wanting kids quite soon, and in a house too small to accommodate.

For £350k in London, I think you'd struggle to find a house. A quick search turns up a few 1 bed flats, a couple of 2 bed properties, but not really any houses, depending on area of course.

In terms of notice for renting - on a statutory tenancy, the landlord will serve notice. However you don't need to be out at the end of that. If you stay, and continue to pay rent, they must apply to the courts to have you evicted, which probably won't be a high priority for someone who is continuing to pay rent and be a model tenant. So it can take months to get someone out.
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If you think you'll be here for over three years it's worth thinking about buying. Less than that, it's too much hassle and also a gamble.

If over five, it's definitely worth buying. I'd look further out, from zone 4 outwards. I'd not neglect south of the river.

If you could afford it, a house would be better than a flat, and a two-bed would mean you could take in a lodger.

If you meet someone and settle down, you'd be well advised to look at moving from London. The property you get there might not rise in value so much, but many other parts of life could be a lot better.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It is not legal staying in a house if you have to leave after a notice.

It's perfectly legal to stay in a rental property after being given notice. The only time it's illegal to stay is after the LL has correctly served notice, waited for that notice to expire, gone to court and won an order to instruct the tenants to leave.

If you are really considering letting your property I strongly suggest that you brush up on all of the responsibilities of being a LL (and don't think employing a Letting Agent will absolve you of any of these responsibilities, because the law is clear that it's the LL that is responsible).
  • Mark1987
    Options
    zagubov wrote: »
    If you think you'll be here for over three years it's worth thinking about buying. Less than that, it's too much hassle and also a gamble.

If over five, it's definitely worth buying. I'd look further out, from zone 4 outwards. I'd not neglect south of the river.

If you could afford it, a house would be better than a flat, and a two-bed would mean you could take in a lodger.

If you meet someone and settle down, you'd be well advised to look at moving from London. The property you get there might not rise in value so much, but many other parts of life could be a lot better.

If you think it is worth to buy staying here for the next five years then I could make an effort and stay here, even a bit more than five years. As I said, I am only wondering about my future. It could be possible that I sill stay in London until I am old. We'll see...
    Regarding the area to buy I don't really care about living close to the center and I don't like busy places so I would be more than happy to consider zone 4-5 and south of the river. Any idea? I saw affordable semi detached houses around Staines and Egham but also not far from Hampton, like west Molesey.
  • SuboJvR
    SuboJvR Posts: 481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    If you think it is worth to buy staying here for the next five years then I could make an effort and stay here, even a bit more than five years. As I said, I am only wondering about my future. It could be possible that I sill stay in London until I am old. We'll see...
    Regarding the area to buy I don't really care about living close to the center and I don't like busy places so I would be more than happy to consider zone 4-5 and south of the river. Any idea? I saw affordable semi detached houses around Staines and Egham but also not far from Hampton, like west Molesey.

You're talking about two different things now. Living in London is not the same as living in suburbia! :) The areas you mention are potentially more suited to both working in London, and settling down, so possibly covers both bases in terms of longevity.

This isn't to say people don't settle down in London of course. But it usually follows what when people start thinking with a family view, they want to move away.

Staines/Egham are outside of the standard travel card zones, a season ticket would set you back around £2,500 per year at the moment. West Molesey isn't really commutery, but it's near Surbiton which is a big commuter spot (and rather expensive, as a result).

It depends where exactly your work is in London; think about the routes in. Is Underground a possibility (north west of London has longer tube links). London Waterloo serves most of the south west stations so Surrey onward. Waterloo East, London Bridge and Charing Cross serve more Sussex/Kent side. Paddington out to the West (e.g. Reading etc). And there my knowledge runs out!

And think about wider issues such as what else may be important to you. For us, that was a garage. Parking.
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Staines, Egham, West Molesey are possibly not in London itself, and some are outside the M25. Probably fine though.

You need to be comfortable with the commute if it's for five years or more. This needs a lot of research and preparation.

SuboJvR has covered most of what I planned to say.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • dlmcr
    dlmcr Posts: 182 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Living anywhere near London is imho a mugs game nowadays economically and from a quality of life perspective. That job that pays 60k in London you can get further north paying say 40 but the accommodation is degrees cheaper which means that your money left over is much higher.
    By all means go to London for the experience but I cannot imagine wanting to live anywhere near there for 5 years or more taking part in such a rat race life, it's a horrible grind that really take its toll long term and the stress of it takes years off your life.
    If all you want is endless HPI from buying a house in the south east then I would question whether over the next 5 years that would even occur in the same manner as it did in the last 5 years, with the costs involved in buying would you after 5 years be likely to make a profit on what you bought now? I am not so sure but maybe that is a debate for the HPC crowd?
    I cannot understand the obsession with living in the south east of this country, maybe if you are from a different country you cannot understand that there is an economy outside the south east. But hey by all means stay in London or the south east and pay 300k for a 1 bed flat above a kebab shop waking up every day wondering what you are doing with your life, up north we can have a nice 4 bed detached with big garden in a nice area for the same money and the wages are not much less!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure