Underpinning a Chimney Breast

Hi,

I have a chimney breast that has been raked back in my kitchen but it is still fully intact in the room above. When I bought the house the surveyor highlighted the fact that the raked back chimney breast in the kitchen was not adequate support for the chimney breast and stack above.

My question is, would it be satisfactory for me to get the chimney breast above underpinned?

I have already got a quote from a builder for £350 to remove the remainder of the raked back chimney breast and put a steel beam in that part of the ceiling in order to support the chimney breast above.

Thanks

Jay

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Jaynorth wrote: »

My question is, would it be satisfactory for me to get the chimney breast above underpinned?
    Sadly, I can't see your kitchen from here, but even if I could, I'm not a qualified structural engineer. Those who are, tend not to do consultations by internet. In other words, no one on MSE can give you a full answer.

Every situation's different, so while a builder can put an RSJ or gallows brackets in, he isn't qualified to specify which ones are adequate or appropriate. He might over-specify, but the question then is, will that come back to bite you if you later decide to sell the property and have no paperwork?

It's a risk many take and then offer indemnity insurance.

Were you going to inform building control???
  • Jaynorth_2
    Jaynorth_2 Posts: 127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks for your reply. Personally I think the current support is adequate and the surveyor was just covering him/herself by saying the support for the chimney breast above was not adequate.

But it is more than likely that I will be selling which is why I am trying to at least address the issue so that when it is flagged up by a buyers survey I can say that the support has been reinforced.

So yes I did intend to inform building control but having spoken to them about the issue in the past I believe that they only sign off on this kind of issue if the whole chimney stack is removed and they no longer accept gallows brackets as adequate support. I could be wrong and anyone can please feel free to correct me on this.

Bearing this in mind, do you think I need to contact a structural engineer to specify what amount of support is adequate?

Thanks

Jay
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Building control will sign off where part is removed. You are correct that gallows brackets are not acceptable in most places now.

The BCO may specify themselves what they want to see. It could be a steel, it could doubled/tripled up joists. Pay the fee and have a chat. If they want a structural engineer's calcs, then get them. If they don't, you've saved a few bob.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Jaynorth wrote: »

Bearing this in mind, do you think I need to contact a structural engineer to specify what amount of support is adequate?

What Doozer said; she knows more than me!

.....And pray your BCO is as nice as mine.
  • Jaynorth_2
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    Building control will sign off where part is removed. You are correct that gallows brackets are not acceptable in most places now.

The BCO may specify themselves what they want to see. It could be a steel, it could doubled/tripled up joists. Pay the fee and have a chat. If they want a structural engineer's calcs, then get them. If they don't, you've saved a few bob.

Just to clarify, do I contact my building control and ask them to come and have a look so that they can specify which support they feel will be acceptable? Because when I spoke to them before they just said that the whole chimney stack needs to be removed in order for them to sign off - maybe my BCO are not as nice as Dave's :(
  • Doozergirl
    Hmm. Some of them are nice, some not somuch but I think someone has misunderstood. Either me or building control.

Underpinning is not the correct terminology for whst you want to do and 'raking' is what you'd do when you need to repoint a wall. I wonder if I've misunderstood exactly what has been done.

Can you describe what you mean by raked back?
  • Doozergirl
    Or post a picture!
  • Jaynorth_2
    Here is a link to the image: http://imgur.com/a/e4gxKe4gxK

I think the technical term is "corbelled" back
  • Doozergirl
    Nice.

That needs building control sign off. You may as well take it up properly, it's ugly too.
  • Jaynorth_2
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    Nice.

That needs building control sign off. You may as well take it up properly, it's ugly too.

Ok thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport