Clydesdale bank crazy situation

Comments

• AliceBanned
    AliceBanned Posts: 3,048 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    PS Clydesdale said I have to go into a branch with all my statements proving I tried to pay, and then pay in branch. My nearest branch is 30 miles away and I think I've been through enough. They can go bloody jump through hoops, not me. :(. I've done enough jumping (and tears).
  • AliceBanned
    For the sake of £35 plus fees they might have just written it off. It's caused me huge stress and hours of phone calls. Simplest thing is write it off and consider it compensation for the harassment letters and phone calls every few days. Each one more surprising than the last since I've made the payments but no way of accessing my Clydesdale account to find out it didn't go in.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    For the sake of £35 plus fees they might have just written it off. It's caused me huge stress and hours of phone calls. Simplest thing is write it off and consider it compensation for the harassment letters and phone calls every few days. Each one more surprising than the last since I've made the payments but no way of accessing my Clydesdale account to find out it didn't go in.
    While they should have made it clearer exactly how to repay your overdraft I'm not sure the fault is all theirs - all of your attempted payments must have been bouncing through to your other account so even though you couldn't check Clydesdale you still should have been able to see all these payments coming through elsewhere and realised what was going on?

No doubt Clydesdale wouldn't have joined up the dots to realise why you weren't succeeding in repaying your debt to them so what you perceive as harassment they'd just see as legitimate credit control chasing given no visible (to them) attempts to repay - you may be able to secure some sort of goodwill gesture from them but in your shoes I wouldn't be simply expecting them to write it off even if that seems like the simplest thing to you!

I'm still a bit puzzled as to how a switched account is overdrawn though - if it was overdrawn when switched then they'd obviously have needed the repayment to close it (I'd have assumed this would need to be done as part of the switch), but if it wasn't overdrawn when switched then how did it become so afterwards?
  • Don80
    Don80 Posts: 300 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    eDicky wrote: »
    Where are you sending this online payment, and how are Clydesdale asking you to pay what you owe?

Any funds sent to an account that has been switched will automatically be sent on to the account that it has been switched to.

Wow what a situation! My understanding is (maybe now should be was!) that you needed enough money in the new account, either cash or agreed overdraft to pay off any debts. If not that would be deducted from the balance transferred.

Sounds like this has gone horribly wrong for you.
  • Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    eskbanker wrote: »
    While they should have made it clearer exactly how to repay your overdraft I'm not sure the fault is all theirs - all of your attempted payments must have been bouncing through to your other account so even though you couldn't check Clydesdale you still should have been able to see all these payments coming through elsewhere and realised what was going on?

No doubt Clydesdale wouldn't have joined up the dots to realise why you weren't succeeding in repaying your debt to them so what you perceive as harassment they'd just see as legitimate credit control chasing given no visible (to them) attempts to repay - you may be able to secure some sort of goodwill gesture from them but in your shoes I wouldn't be simply expecting them to write it off even if that seems like the simplest thing to you!

I'm still a bit puzzled as to how a switched account is overdrawn though - if it was overdrawn when switched then they'd obviously have needed the repayment to close it (I'd have assumed this would need to be done as part of the switch), but if it wasn't overdrawn when switched then how did it become so afterwards?

In my experience, they close the account even if its overdrawn (this is necessary as part of the switch) and then pass it on to an unsecured credit team to whom you repay the money within X number of days. If its not paid it eventually enters a process of warning letter 1, warning letter 2 and then collections which puts a black mark on your credit file.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    When an account is switched, any debit balance remains at the old bank. A marker is placed on the old account which redirects any further credits received after the switch to the new account, which is why your payments kept being sent back.
    You can arrange to pay the outstanding balance but will need to ask your old bank for the account number where it needs to be sent, it's usually an internal suspense account number, from there they will allocate it to the debit balance on your old account. Alternatively, ask your new bank to call them to get this account number and then you can send an electronic payment to them.
    The people on the phones at the old bank probably just look at the account which has been switched, see the balance and tell you it's ok to make a payment, they're probably not aware of the redirection which is in place, follow up your complaint about this advice.
  • AliceBanned

The payments bounced through two accounts. One of the accounts was only opened 2 weeks ago. I had no way of seeing where the money was going until it got to the second account. Even on the Halifax online banking, the bill payment I set up was changing itself to the new accounts!! So I had not audit trail of what I was doing but Halifax should have surely. Between the two of them they should have worked it out but it was left to me and I was baffled, particularly under the stress of the letters coming and numerous phone calls that resulted in frustration because I kept being told I must be inputting the wrong information. I frankly wondered whether I was getting some kind of brain disorder, seriously. It has been most unpleasant.

As far as I was aware switches don't switch payments into the account as well as out! This hasn't happened previously. It has switched the direct debits. I know this now but no it hadn't occurred to me but to be fair neither had it occurred to staff (including IT in online banking) in two banks.

I don't mind paying the amount but really - the amount of trouble it has taken and still I can't get the money to them..over what was initially £35..

I think I went £5 over the overdraft due to fees added. I had no idea until I got the first letter because I no longer seemed to have access to online banking.

The lesson I've learned is I've had enough of switching as I have several loans and credit cards so keeping on top of it all is driving me crazy. I will close every account I can in future and keep it simple.
  • AliceBanned
    Ed-1 wrote: »
    In my experience, they close the account even if its overdrawn (this is necessary as part of the switch) and then pass it on to an unsecured credit team to whom you repay the money within X number of days. If its not paid it eventually enters a process of warning letter 1, warning letter 2 and then collections which puts a black mark on your credit file.
    The account is still open apparently. I have to send a letter (snailmail) to get it closed. I've had so many phone calls with them over this but still no progress. I can't close it until I can get the money to them.
  • AliceBanned
    meer53 wrote: »
    When an account is switched, any debit balance remains at the old bank. A marker is placed on the old account which redirects any further credits received after the switch to the new account, which is why your payments kept being sent back.
    You can arrange to pay the outstanding balance but will need to ask your old bank for the account number where it needs to be sent, it's usually an internal suspense account number, from there they will allocate it to the debit balance on your old account. Alternatively, ask your new bank to call them to get this account number and then you can send an electronic payment to them.
    The people on the phones at the old bank probably just look at the account which has been switched, see the balance and tell you it's ok to make a payment, they're probably not aware of the redirection which is in place, follow up your complaint about this advice.
    Exactly, I agree. What was I supposed to think if they kept advising me to send it again?! I had better things to do than work out that they couldn't give accurate information and it isn't my job to do so. In the end it became clear that something was wrong though I suspected it after the second payment but I had Halifax telling me I couldn't put account details in correctly and Clydesdale telling me I hadn't made the payments. I don't see how I'm responsible really at all. In the end I posted on here which is where I learnt that payments get redirected to. it seemed obvious once I was told but amidst all the stress and confusion of the situation I was looking to them for advice and was not given the right info by either bank.
  • AliceBanned

PS I did check my other accounts, did see the other payments, thought I was going mad and had put the other bank's details in and not Clydesdale. So I thought (as I was being told as well) I might be mistakenly putting in my Coop details and then my TSB. It might sound thick but that is what Halifax were telling me - and that is what the online banking system showed - ie I only had online payments set up for TSB and Coop (many times:o).

Maybe I'm slow or maybe I just kept getting stonewalled by the banks whenever I tried to sort it out. They kept saying I hadn't made a payment or set up that online payment and the last time I phoned them today I was telling the I seriously needed a witness next time I did it because I could not trust my own mind anymore. I told Halifax today that I saw 'Clydesdale' come up when I put in the sort code and I was 100% certain I had done it numerous times. It occurred to neither of us what might have happened. It is only obvious when you know it especially for me when I have a lot of other things on my plate and struggle to keep up with payments anyway. They should know more about their own systems though -even (especially) customer services/IT.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure