Boiler Insurance: Home ins addon or seperate?

At the moment I have no boiler insurance whatsoever, when the boiler has gone wrong I've got someone in to fix it and so far this has worked as cost has been zero (no parts required and I have a gas safe engineer as a friend).

However this is no longer practical and the boiler is getting older (fitted 2013).

Plus my home insurance is due next month.

I'm wondering whether to add "Home Emergency Cover" to my home insurance, which seems to mean £500 per year towards boiler repair or replacement, or a dedicated insurance.

Leaning towards the former and wondering if anyone else is doing similar ?

Adding cover to my home insurance is about £45, compared to what seems like £120+ for a dedicated insurance. I know you can get it cheaper than £45 but they seem to have so many exclusions and restrictions that it seems pointless to add it.

Comments

• ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Gromitt wrote: »
    At the moment I have no boiler insurance whatsoever, when the boiler has gone wrong I've got someone in to fix it and so far this has worked as cost has been zero (no parts required and I have a gas safe engineer as a friend).

However this is no longer practical and the boiler is getting older (fitted 2013).

Why is it no longer practical? Has your friend said he won't do the work for free anymore?

5 years is not exactly old for a boiler. There is no good reason to expect that you will have any trouble for some time to come.
  • Gromitt
    Gromitt Posts: 5,063 Forumite
    ValiantSon wrote: »
    Why is it no longer practical? Has your friend said he won't do the work for free anymore?

He's retired and going on a 6 month cruise, and likely will be going on many more long holidays so I can't really depend on him any longer. If I have a breakdown whilst he's on holiday it wouldn't really be practical to expect him to return home early to fix my boiler.
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Gromitt wrote: »
    He's retired and going on a 6 month cruise, and likely will be going on many more long holidays so I can't really depend on him any longer. If I have a breakdown whilst he's on holiday it wouldn't really be practical to expect him to return home early to fix my boiler.

Some people are so selfish. ;)

Why do you anticipate problems? As I said, the boiler isn't that old. If you really want to insure then I don't think much of boiler insurance, so I'd go for the home insurance add on.
  • Gromitt
    Gromitt Posts: 5,063 Forumite
    ValiantSon wrote: »
    Some people are so selfish. ;)

Why do you anticipate problems? As I said, the boiler isn't that old. If you really want to insure then I don't think much of boiler insurance, so I'd go for the home insurance add on.

I don't anticipate problems, I just don't want to be stung if I do have a problem.

Just had a letter through from Homeserve offering me insurance for £4/month which seemed tempting, but I just know I'll forget about it and it'll be £10/month next year so threw that in the bin. Also had my home insurance renewal quote in, £134, plus a letter from ESure offering me free home emergency cover on top of the quote they've already given me (£155). For a £20 increase I'm quite tempted! Just need to ring the first again to see if they can do any better :)
  • My boiler is 25 years old and apart from the odd thermocouples (approx. £4 from B&Q) and cleaning the pilot, it hasn't needed any repairs. It is a Potterton floor standing model though so not very efficient but they do go on forever.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure