"Complete Savings" scheme

Strapped
Strapped Posts: 8,158 Forumite
edited 14 February 2017 at 12:12PM in Praise, vent & warnings
I just purchased something from TheHut.com and was then asked whether I wanted to join the "Complete Savings" scheme. I've never heard of them before.
So claim all your Complete Savings benefits... plus get your £15 cash back voucher! To get your £15 cash back voucher just make a purchase at thehut.com in the next 3 months. See full instructions on the next page to redeem your voucher and how to access your site and start saving today! Plus we'll send your Membership Pack email to you at your email address. Try all the benefits for the next 30 days FREE and see how much you save! There's no obligation to continue. If you are completely satisfied, do nothing and you'll be able to enjoy ongoing savings for only £10 a month and of course you have our Guarantee as described in the Offer and Billing Details! Retailers and discounts are updated often, so visit the Complete Savings website regularly to get the most out of your membership. You can save up to £100 every month!

It also says in the fine print that Complete Savings is owned and operated by the Webloyalty group of companies.

I was briefly tempted to do the sign up and cancel before the 30 days is up, but reading the fine print, it seems a faff to actually claim the cash back (sending off a sales receipt) and so like most cash back schemes, doubtful as to whether you actually get the cash back. So I decided not to risk it, as sometimes these things can be difficult to cancel and enough people already have my card details!

Has anyone else heard of this scheme? Reading t'internet they seem to have some bad press, but it is mostly in the States. Scam? Genuine cashback scheme? :undecided

MoneySavingExpert.com insert

Complete Savings is part of the Webloyalty group. See our previous news story that relates to other companies in the group:

Beware costly subscriptions when shopping online
They deem him their worst enemy who tells them the truth. -- Plato

Comments

• Strapped
    To answer my own question :o it seems that this is a new name for what was previously Shopper Discounts & Rewards - it's been around for a while it seems!

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=991555
  • Don't touch with a bargepole!
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed. ;)

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite! :rotfl::rotfl:
  • Strapped
    That seems to be the general concensus from that other thread - amazing they are still going really.
  • stemcgoo
    stemcgoo Posts: 130
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Well, yes, I suppose the big complaint about these webloyalty "schemes" is the way they sign people up, it does seem to be catching a lot of people out who have not read the small print when they're making a purchase, however, they are still going because they do actually give the cashback.

I have been a member since January 2011 and paid my £10 per month each month, however I always get my (minimum) £10 reward for pizza hut when I email them the receipt and on top of that, my other savings with them are so far over £250.

This is a combination of cashback rewards for online purchases (most retailers give 10% cashback, including popular names like Currys, Thehut, HMV, etc etc) and 20% discount on retail vouchers I've used in Debenhams, Halfords, and Currys.

So, my recommendation is, read the small print, know what you are signing up for, and once you understand, make the most of it because it really does represent very good value.
  • I was caught out . This Webloyalty run several schemes . The Complete Saver replaces the previous Shopper Discount & Rewards scheme which what I must have inadvertantly joined when I made an online purchase. For 15 months they were taking £10.00 a month from my credit card before I realised what was going on. You could say I should have noticed it sooner but I have dozens of transactions a month and I had been in hospital and very ill for a long time after.
    I rang them and got an automated reply which allowed me to cancel my membership . I then rang again and got through to a very courtious man who said they would repay 3 months subscriptions immediately. I then wrote asking for a full refund of £150 and was sent an UNAUTHORIZED CHARGE AFFIDAVIT form to fill in and return . I am now awaiting their reply.
    Webloyalty who run these schemes have been the subject of a class action in the USA for running what are called "click through scams "
    They have been ordered to repay over $3 million to people caught out
  • cpsave
    cpsave Posts: 9 Forumite
    When I made a purchase from Play.com before Xmas I remember getting notification that I could get £15 off my next purchase. I remember joining the Complete Savings scheme but at no point do I remember seeing anything about paying a membership fee of £10 per month. The first I knew of this when i saw it debited from my bank account.

I have now cancelled my membership and have asked for copies of what details came up on my PC at the time from both Complete Savings and Play as I would not have signed up for anything where I had to pay a fee if that had been made clear in their details.
  • I'd take whatever stemcgoo says with a large pinch of salt. All his posts are about this site and he signed up here just to tell us about it!!

Cpsave, this is a very common occurance, people tempted by the discount and only realising they'd joined something when the money was taken out of their accounts There are lots of threads about this on here. I ordered from Play in December too, and I definately remember the invitation to save money on a future order. I also remember some text saying I was signing up to a "club", but there was no mention of cost on the main page. I think you'd have to click through for T&C's.

It's only a game
    ~*~*~ We're only here to dream ~*~*~
  • boobbby
    boobbby Posts: 769 Forumite
    Argos have also now joined the happy band offering cashback if we join this scheme. In their favour it does state very clearly that you will pay £10 a month until you cancel although I would not touch any of these type of schemes with a bargepole
  • i too got caught out by complete savings unknowingly subscribing whilst making a purchase from play.com! i have managed to get the money the took from my credit card refunded, the card details were supplied to them by play.com! who when i contacted them to complain sent this pass the buck reply i will never buy from play.com again. here was play.com s reply
    Dear Frank Goold,

Thank you for your email.

We are sorry to learn that you were having problems with the 10% discount.

Please be advised that the service you refer to is operated by Complete Savings which is a preferred partner of Play.com.

As we are two separate companies, we regret that we are unable to respond directly to you about Complete Savings.

If you wish to contact Complete Savings, their customer Services Team can be reached from 8am to 8pm from Monday to Friday and on

Saturdays from 9am to 4pm on 0800 389 6960 (calls are free from UK customerservice@completesavings.co.uk.

We hope that this information is of some help to you. If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us and we will be happy to be of assistance.

Kind Regards,

Customer Support Team
    Play.com
  • Had 0 trouble with them, received my £15 cheque in less than 10 days, and now another £10 monthly cashback on its way, i will cancel though so i dont have to pay membership. Not a dodgy company
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure