PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Advice on surveying a foreign property

mrlukeduke
mrlukeduke Posts: 9 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 23 February 2018 at 5:53PM in House buying, renting & selling
Hi all

I am considering buying my parents' villa in Spain but want to have it surveyed for any structural issues first, so I know what I'm buying from them. I also have a vision for the property should there be no major issues reported.

I have been in contact with a company out there who help a lot of expats etc so speak English. Apparenty they do "everything" from surveying to architecture/designs to refurbishment to legal/council bureaucracy, and so on; and they do not use subcontractors. Which is ideally what I want.

Anyway... I suddenly realized that there might be a conflict of interest with having a surveyor come in to survey a property on which a "thumbs up" (i.e. no structural issues) would grant this same company more work.

Should I be seeking an independent surveyor, someone unrelated to the architectural company? Or are all architects also surveyors, and thus I have legal/regulatory protection like in the UK?

Any tips/thoughts appreciated. Thanks!

Luke

Comments

• bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    You need a Spanish solicitor anyway so let them deal with it.

Keep buying the property separate from any plans you might have for it.
  • I'm confused -- the solicitor doesn't do surveying...

I would only buy once a survey is conducted to assess structural integrity and if there are no major issues.

My question is how independent a surveyor would be who works for a renovations company.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure