National Trust Loophole by joining Scotland using in England

Comments

• Incidentally, Heritage NZ membership does not allow admission to Wakehurst Place. Full list of benefits to members is here: http://www.heritage.org.nz/~/~/link.aspx?_id=A79E087FB9A44AA0A2566D2E70CC58CC&_z=z
  • Is there a list somewhere of properties that you cannot use with your New Zealand card and presumably the same rule would apply to the Malta, Italian and Scottish members.Thank you anyone that can help.
  • 88Sarah
    88Sarah Posts: 7 Forumite
    edited 14 September 2017 at 10:58AM
    To Summerise from various posts it would appear to get an annual joint membership of the National Trust the following costs will apply.

English National Trust. £108 (includes Parking)
    Scottish National Trust £ 63 (includes Parking)
    New Zealand National Trust NZ$72 (approx £40) (Includes some parking)
    Malta National Trust 30 Euros (approx £29)( No Parking)

There are 10 other Organisations/countries with reciprocal arrangements but I do not know if they are open to Overseas residents or what is the cost of membership.

My opinion if you only going to make 3 or 4 visits then the Malta option is the best value
    If you going to make a significant amount of visit the the Scottish one would be the best deal
    New Zealand falls between the two..As it currently stands with the present rules all work out a lot cheaper than joining the English National Trust.
  • Syman
    Syman Posts: 2,616 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    88Sarah wrote: »
    To Summerise from various posts it would appear to get an annual joint membership of the National Trust the following costs will apply.

English National Trust. £108 (includes Parking)
    Scottish National Trust £ 63 (includes Parking)
    New Zealand National Trust NZ$72 (approx £40) (Includes some parking)
    Malta National Trust 30 Euros (approx £29)( No Parking)
    the joint membership for scot Nat Trust listed above is for joint senior (one over 60)
    English nat trust has no such age restraints.

So for a couple both under 60, the savings only amount to about £8/year
    Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today!:mad:
    Cos if you do it today and like it...You can do it again tomorrow.. :p

Bookworm's Thread 2019 reading Challenge total :- 1/60
  • Syman
    Syman Posts: 2,616 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Why do you say the English NT has no age restraints? Or am I misunderstanding you? If so I apologise.

See here ..... To say a big thank you to our loyal members and to make sure everybody can continue to enjoy the places they love, we offer a 25 per cent senior discount. If you’re 60 or over and you’ve held an individual or joint membership for at least five of the last ten years, you’ll be eligible for the reduced fee.
    For 2017 you’ll pay £48.60 for an individual senior membership and if you hold a joint senior membership it’s £80.40.

the discount from NT scotland is applied if you are ove 60. so as a couple under 60 we do cannot get the discount by using NT Scotland.
    Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today!:mad:
    Cos if you do it today and like it...You can do it again tomorrow.. :p

Bookworm's Thread 2019 reading Challenge total :- 1/60
  • AnneMarie4687
    AnneMarie4687 Posts: 50 Forumite
    edited 21 September 2017 at 11:49AM
    It really depends how often you are going to visit a National Trust property. If you are only going say 5 times a year then it is worth taking the New Zealand or Malta option and pay for the parking. It will still work out cheaper. If you are visiting more regularly then look at choosing the Scottish National Trust. Whichever alternative you chose if you are over 60 and take out a joint membership you will save a minimum of £45 a year.
  • peewhyeff
    peewhyeff Posts: 1,186 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    It really depends how often you are going to visit a National Trust property. If you are only going say 5 times a year then it is worth taking the New Zealand or Malta option and pay for the parking. It will still work out cheaper. If you are visiting more regularly then look at choosing the Scottish National Trust. Whichever alternative you chose if you are over 60 and take out a joint membership you will save a minimum of £45 a year.

I looked at Scotland NT and noted you have to put a car registration in for a temporary parking pass which is valid for 3 mths. I am concerned that with a joint membership we may want to travel in another vehicle, or if away from home area possibly a hire car. Does the follow up parking pass have a reg number on it? And if not, does it really take 3 months for it to be processed?
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    peewhyeff wrote: »
    I looked at Scotland NT and noted you have to put a car registration in for a temporary parking pass which is valid for 3 mths. I am concerned that with a joint membership we may want to travel in another vehicle, or if away from home area possibly a hire car. Does the follow up parking pass have a reg number on it? And if not, does it really take 3 months for it to be processed?

Ours came very quickly. First we had a paper temporary pass which was to put in the car window and that does have your registration on it , along with a little card for my pocket IIRC then it was only a few days later that the actual membership pack arrived and that has a car window sticker (non car specific and easy to take off /put on) and the plastic card and handbook.
  • Yes my friends do this!
  • We joined the New Zealand National trust a few years ago. It is ceratinly a cheaper option and suits our purpose as a couple
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure