Holiday question

Hi I am owed holiday from this year,I am on long term sick leave,I know my employer does not pass this over to another year and I don't know if I will be able to return to work,have tried and didn't work out to well.How would I go about this holiday issue.

Comments

• McClane54
    McClane54 Posts: 278 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    sounds like your having a nice holiday, why try and get more out of the system
  • Leedash
    Leedash Posts: 441 Forumite
    I do not like your tone,I'd been working years you stupid person,paid shed loads of tax and ni,please don't slate a person
  • CAB_Malvern_Hills_representative
    CAB_Malvern_Hills_representative Posts: 153 Organisation Representative
    LEEDASH wrote: »
    Hi I am owed holiday from this year,I am on long term sick leave,I know my employer does not pass this over to another year and I don't know if I will be able to return to work,have tried and didn't work out to well.How would I go about this holiday issue.

HI

Following a number of cases brought in the higher courts the European Court of Justice (ECJ) has ruled that a worker who is off work on sick leave continues to accrue statutory holiday while s/he is off sick. If they are able to go back to work this is a special situation and they are effectively now allowed by law to carry the holiday forward into the next leave year if they couldn't take it because when they were off sick . Additionally if your employer ends your contract you will be able to claim for accrued untaken holiday pay up to the date of leaving. If your employer refused to pay this you would be able to make a claim for unpaid wages at an Employment Tribunal ( ET ( which must be done within certain time limits ). If you do leave then initially you would write to your employer asking for the accrued holiday pay and only if it wasn't forthcoming would you need to consider an action at an ET. Your local CAb could help you with this process if needed. Follow the link below to more information on this :

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/work_e/work_time_off_work_e/holidays_and_holiday_pay.htm#what_happens_to_your_holiday_if_you_are_off_sick

Obviously you will need to work out how much is owing to you. Hope that this helps.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
  • paddedjohn
    paddedjohn Posts: 7,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    You accrue holiday whilst you are off sick and your employer must let you carry it over to the next year, alternatively you may wish to ask them to pay you it instead of sick pay.
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport