PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

cheaper cuts of meat

Comments

• Can recommend the Meat book by HFW which has lots of good recipes for the cheap cuts.

HFW stands for Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall for anyone not in the know ;)

For recipes, tips and copies of his books to purchase, visit www.rivercottage.net

HTH
  • Chicken is far cheaper per kg/lb if you buy whole chickens and cut them up yourself. Every part has a use, even the parsons nose and backbone can be roasted and then simmered with bay leaves and a few spices to make a good fresh stock. A small chicken can be bought at Aldis (verified as British and without hormones or added water) for £1.99. Off of that I get 400-500g breast meat, where 454g of boneless breast is on sale next to the whole chickens for £2.99! In addition to the breast you get the legs and wings which can either be slow cooked for stews and casseroles or are great for barbecue and tandoori marinades.

Check this link for how to deal with a whole chicken..

http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/cutupchicken.htm

There are always good deals available on cheap cuts of beef, remember they cook far better when the stewing sauce is thin, so if you want it thickened, do it later after the meat has cooked down.
  • Ohhh brilliant, thank you to the OP and to everyone who replied, I have always bought my meat at the supermarket as I have been a bit nervous of going into the butchers and not knowing what things are, so will definately feel a bit more clued up now. The only thing I need to worry about now is the qty, I haven't a clue where I am with weights, as I just buy the pre-packed stuff atm.
    February Grocery Challenge £250.00

Spend so far £230!! (Ohhh my days HELP) still got almost 2 weeks left!!
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    As a general rule a serving of meat is 4-6oz per person,so buy 1 lb -1 and a half lb to feed 4.HTH
  • i was never sure what quantity to ask for so with rump steak i just ask for a bit big enough for 2 people and normally get a huge bit for about a fiver but the quality is a thousand times better than the supermarkets... i never get meat from the supermarkets anymore except maybe when its reduced.

Theres 2 adults and 2 toddlers in my house and i normally get:
    750g steak mince
    6 chicken breasts
    nice big bit rump steak
    500g either diced pork or some kind of pork chop
    500g stewing steak
    6 eggs
    6/8 sausages and sometimes some bacon
    this normally comes to about £30 and i then portion it up into 250g portions for the mince, and portion the chicken breasts individually then freeze it all and i nomally only have to go to the butchers once a month.....

Bit of a ramble but i hope this helps....
    Other women want a boob job. Honey the only silicone i'm interested in is on a 12 cup muffin tray, preferably shaped like little hearts :heart:
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Some butchers(like mine in Ombersley,Worcs)do freezer packs of meat which work out markedly cheaper than buying smaller amounts.My butcher does a 'midweek pack',which consists of;
    3 lb sausages
    3 lb mince
    2 lb diced pork
    2 lb diced lamb
    2 lb gammon steaks
    This costs £30 approx for 12 lb meat,and lasts for ages if you eat veggie maels as well.The meat isn't frozen,just prepared for freezing.I'm sure other good butchers do similar things-look for a Q Guild butcher to be sure of excellent quality.
  • Smiley_Mum
    Smiley_Mum Posts: 3,836 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    I agree with an earlier poster, oxtail are very tasty done in a slow cooker, used to do mine in a big wok before I got the SC. Good if you get big meaty ones, yummy. I usually put loads of spuds on to cope with all the gravy/sauce that comes from them.
    “Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you.” - Oscar Wilde
  • nabowla
    nabowla Posts: 567 Forumite
    Lamb's kidneys are lovely and fairly cheap too - I normally pay 50p per kidney. Try cooking them in an HM Italian tomato sauce and serve with pasta (Delia has an excellent recipe in her Complete Cookery course and it's probably on her website). Mmmmmm!

Stewing steak is cheaper than casserole steak but just as good in a casserole or in the SC.

If you're brave enough to have a go at making your own stock, try asking your butcher if he 'sells' bones for stock (sometimes referred to as soup bones). Some butchers make a small charge for the bones but many are happy to give you a bag for free. There's often quite a bit of meat left on the bones and they make a really good, flavoursome stock.
  • Smiley_Mum
    Smiley_Mum Posts: 3,836 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    nabowla wrote:
    If you're brave enough to have a go at making your own stock, try asking your butcher if he 'sells' bones for stock (sometimes referred to as soup bones). Some butchers make a small charge for the bones but many are happy to give you a bag for free. There's often quite a bit of meat left on the bones and they make a really good, flavoursome stock.

I think our local butcher gives bones away gratis for pooches, but you can make a donation to local animal rescue place, which people usually do.
    “Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you.” - Oscar Wilde
  • kiwichick
    kiwichick Posts: 1,857 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Gosh, thanks you guys, I knew you would come up trumps!

So,I am now ready to venture to the butcher for the first time next week :j

A few more Q's before I go though :o

*What is Oxtail? How do I prepare it? I know my butcher does it cause I saw it in the window last week but never went in.
    *If I can get hold of bones for stock (free of course), can I use the stock as a base for the casserole? I wont use it myself as am vegie and DH wont eat soup so this would be the only use I can think of. If making stock from bones do I need to let it cool to skim off any fat before using for other things?

Thanks,
    Al.
    WW Start Weight 18/04/12 = 19st 11lbs
    Weight today = 17st 6.5lbs
    Loss to date 32.5lbs!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts