Putting home into family trust to avoid nursing home fees

Options

Comments

• pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I do have some sympathy with OP. However, she seems unaware that many, many people will never have enough income to save very much.

An example would be those carers who 'are paid a pittance' that she mentions.

Paying for ones care does give an element of choice, though.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Veryannoyed_3
    Options
    pollypenny wrote: »
    I do have some sympathy with OP. However, she seems unaware that many, many people will never have enough income to save very much.

An example would be those carers who 'are paid a pittance' that she mentions.

Paying for ones care does give an element of choice, though.

I'm fully aware that some people will never be able to save much. My children would love to buy their own homes, but their incomes don't stretch to mortgages, it's impossible to save enough for a deposit when you're also paying rent.

This is one of the reasons why I want to safeguard my own property to give them the chance to have their own home at some future date.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Personal care does not cost £46,800 per annum. Or rather, it should not cost that amount.

It could be called fleecing someone in need of more than 'personal care' to feather the nests of those who know they can steal from the sick to give to the well.

Veryannoyed, I'm wondering if this is a generation thing. People like your Mum grew up in a world where you did as you were told, you worked all the hours available, you never sat on your bum and expected anything you couldn't afford, you obeyed the laws of the land, you paid your taxes and your National Insurance contributions, and you never questioned those things.

Your Mum and Dad were told that they would be cared for if ever their health deteriorated and they needed the NHS (which was set up for that very purpose) to provide care to meet those health needs. They kept their part of the contract.

The contract wasn't broken by your Mum and Dad. It has been broken by the generation that have no idea what your Mum and Dad went through.

All we can hope is that the more recent generation who have demanded and received and have had all their needs met, will one day open their eyes, their minds and their hearts. Preferably before their health deteriorates.

Yes, I think your Mum has indeed paid her dues. In more ways than one. It's society that has failed to keep their part of the contract.

Excellent post, :T:Tand very sensitively put. Thank you.

I'm 63 and that is exactly the way it was for my parents and also my thoughts when I was younger. In actual fact my father worked hard all his life and was taken care of by the state in his last few weeks, no care needed for mother apart from an hour trying to revive her from a heart attack which was unsuccessful.
    She did her bit, crane driving in the ship yard during the war, so in my mind she was also a heroine.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Oldernotwiser
    Options
    All we can hope is that the more recent generation who have demanded and received and have had all their needs met, will one day open their eyes, their minds and their hearts. Preferably before their health deteriorates.

That would be the OP's generation then?
  • andyrules
    andyrules Posts: 3,558 Forumite
    Options
    Mrs_Money wrote: »
    2. We are fast becoming a nation of renters - what happens when there is no property to sell in old age anyway?
    Just a thought...

A fair point, especially as the younger generation will receive no help with deposits from inheritance if the parental home is sold, and also as more and more people are removing their assets from harm's way long before the time they may need care.
  • I agree that it's very difficult to see how that sort of fee can be charged when the people who work in nursing homes are so poorly paid. My mother's home has two registered nurses and the rest of the staff are care workers who are paid a pittance. My mother's home is one of a number owned by a charity but it must be one of the most expensive in the UK.

What gets me, apart from the injustice that people who were prudent with their money are then forced to pay up for fees which those who spent all their money don't have to pay, is that there is a proper mechanism for continuing care funding but that these rules are now being deliberately wrongly applied by PCTs to deny funding to patients who clearly do meet all the criteria.

I wouldn't object to people paying a standard fee towards their care, perhaps through an insurance policy, but arranging any sort of fair system seems to be totally beyond politicians.

I've voted for Cleggie's mob since I was 18, I won't be doing so again!

Another even bigger injustice as far as self funders are concerned is the practice of charging self funders more for their place in a care home than those who are being funded by the state. So you can have residents in the same care home enjoying the same care and facilities on very different rates. The local authority has the buying power to block book places at much reduced rates. The self funders then are are charged more so the care home is no worse off. So people who have been prudent and tried to put aside money for their old age are penalised in this way too.
  • Morrison117
    Options
    That would be the OP's generation then?

No, it wouldn't be the OP's generation at all.

It would be the generations that followed on. The second generation after those who are now in most need of support and care - because that second generation hasn't discovered the meaning of self-support.

There's a lot of talk of 'personal care' mentioned on this forum, on this thread and on others. But whoever remembers their Grandparents talking of 'personal care'? It's a conveniently invented phrase, to move thinking about 'care' away from the genuine reasons for needing care to the conveniently adopted terminology.

Care means care. Need means need. Needing care means needing care.

The forgotten 'personal care' is the way by which the youngest generation of today has cared only about their own 'personal care' today, about their 'wants', and their 'demands' , but without having been invited to think about their personal future needs that may arrive tomorrow. The 'wants' and 'needs' and 'demands' and 'care needs' of the youngest generation have all been fulfilled.

Let alone to have been required to think about those who gave more of their own physical resources to provide that which may now support the next generations.

Because they have people who are able to demand on their behalf. That no longer applies to the older generation. Those who were willing to put their lives, their livelihood, their own comfort at risk ... all for those who came after.

All without thinking about themselves, or their own future personal needs.

The generation that has no experiece of sacrificing personal comfort should now be invited to consider how they will feel if they are suddenly, and overnight, and without warning in need of .... care.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Morrison117, You move me to tears, I have no idea what age you are, what gender you are but If i was your wife/husband/mother/father/nana/grandad
    I would be so proud of you for being so sensetive and I applaud your insight into the subject we are discussing. Thank you so much for sharing it.

If you are male and around 60 will you marry me;)
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Morrison117
    Options
    Let's get married then. :cool: :cool: :cool:

Just remember that you posed the question and I accepted your proposal, so you won't hold it against me, will you!!

See you .... wherever and whenever. :)
  • madelaine
    Options
    They claimed what they were entitled too, and rightly so, so just because someone needs to go into a care home as they have Dementia, they should have to give up everything, why should they? if they are entitled to CHC, these people have paid National Insurance all there lifes, and never claimed a penny, they were not entitled too,(certainly true in my aunts case) yet lots of people, i am sure we will all know someone, work shy, who have never paid into the system, but know how to claim everything going, If a relative has a primary health care need, why should they have to sell there home, when this care should automatically be funded by the NHS, ask yourselves this question ,if your relative had some other disease, such as Cancer, would you think it is fair to have to sell there home to recieve care, and for the people who state relatives should look after there own family, this is not always possible,nobody is able to give 24 hour care, even if we wanted too, especially when a relative becomes unreconisable, totally out of character, agressive, most people hopefully will not have to face this situation, but, if and when you do, i am hoping things change and you don't have to fight for your relatives rights.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure