NHS worker since 1999? Are you due £1,000s of tax back

Options

Comments

• Dazed_and_confused
    Options
    Look smug when you are getting two more years worth State Pension than your friend in years to come.

She'll be happier now but maybe less so when she realises what she might have lost in State Pension entitlement, potentially for 30-40 years of retirement!
  • Loulou70
    Options
    If you employer is not supporting your claim then do your own via Hmrc especially If a colleague has completed a similar course and has had a refund.
    Have you asked for written confirmation as to why they feel you are not eligible ? I would challenge it if you feel you match the criteria determined by Hmrc for claimimg widening access training refund.
  • Ffi
    Options
    Can anyone help i am really frustrated with this situation and not sure where to go from here. I fit the criteria for a possible refund under the widening access scheme but despite numerous letters to hmrc to reclaim they have stated i am not eligable for NI or tax because i was employed. Yes i was employed by the NHS which is part of the criteria but i was sponsored to go to university to become a qualified nurse. The trust i work for state my finacial details were not transfered during a merger with a neighbouring trust therefore cannot request a refund on my behalf. The whole thing ids frustrating because i know people who were seconded by the same trust have been successful 😣
  • Ffi
    Options
    Help anyone i am nt getting any response an new to this site so not sure if anyone is seeing my posts
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ffi wrote: »
    Help anyone i am nt getting any response an new to this site so not sure if anyone is seeing my posts
    your question relates to a very specific query which it appears no one on here is an "expert" in

yes we can read the online guide, but then presumably so can you? It seems to imply that obtaining a refund if you did the course after 6 April 2013 is something that your (then) employer has to do

for the benefit of other readers, this is what comes up via google:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/widening-access-training-scheme-refunds-for-nhs-trust-workers

http://www.nhsemployers.org/news/2017/04/tax-and-ni-refunds-widening-access-training-scheme
  • Ffi
    Options
    Phew thanks for the reply thought i wasnt doing this properly. I have read all the guidance an do meet the criteria but hmrc have refused any refunds because they say this was a salary :( just wondered if anyone had been in the same boat an if they had an idea how to progress this further because i feel this is injust I have thought about seeking legal advise but this would be costly. Feel so frustrated with it all and cannot see any threads that matches my situation:(
  • Ginoo1783
    Ginoo1783 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 9 September 2017 at 4:34PM
    Options
    I am an NHS employee and was released by the TRUST every week for 7hours to college. The contract was Trainee Assistant Practitioner under the contract name 'trainee sponsorship-fixed term'. It is a 2 years course duration and I was a full time student. On this contract I was expected to go for 7 hours to college and work for 30 hours per week. The training was a clinical/foundation degree (80% clinical practice and 20% academic).

I have read the HMRC rules that is provided on this website and had inquire to the TRUST HR regarding this matter. They have said that I am not entitled to this claim however by looking on the HMRC rule called 'statement of practice 4/86' my case and other of my colleague who did the same course have tick off all the boxes under this category.

My two classmates who did the same course (which are working from the different TRUST) have received their refund last month. So I am just wondering why my TRUST saying we are not entitled to it. :undecided:undecided:

PLEASE ADVISE
  • butterfly72
    Options
    Ffi wrote: »
    Can anyone help i am really frustrated with this situation and not sure where to go from here. I fit the criteria for a possible refund under the widening access scheme but despite numerous letters to hmrc to reclaim they have stated i am not eligable for NI or tax because i was employed. Yes i was employed by the NHS which is part of the criteria but i was sponsored to go to university to become a qualified nurse. The trust i work for state my finacial details were not transfered during a merger with a neighbouring trust therefore cannot request a refund on my behalf. The whole thing ids frustrating because i know people who were seconded by the same trust have been successful 😣

Something similar has happened to a friend of mine. She has contacted the university who have provided proof that she was a seconded student. Maybe try that?
    £2019 in 2019 #44 - 864.06/2019
  • Lisacamilla
    Options
    Hi
    I am really confused about the HMRCs Widening access training scheme available to NHS employee... I was a Trainee Social Worker in Northern Ireland from 2006-2009 this was funded by the DHSSPS .. it was a Regional scheme and being offered a place between NHS trust and a place in the voluntary sector was a lottery . I happened to be offtend a place by a voluntary agency but a friend was offered a place with a NHS Trust. My friend has just been awarded a tax refund of approx £6000 and I have been told I not eligible because I was employed by the voluntary sector. I cannot see how this is ethical or legal so am in the process of seeking advice.. has anyone any experience of same?? Any information will be gratefully received :-))
  • Alycats
    Options
    I completed my MSc in 2 years although the course I enrolled on was registered as a part time course. However I "apelled" 2 modules (which I completed at the same time but the year before) so my University will not give me a certificate to support my claim for tax/NI contributions refund. The first year I actually did a module over the summer break too. Do you think there is anything I can do as it appears a nightmare with many variables? I was employed the whole time as an Advanced Nurse Practitioner having one day off/ week for Uni attendance and am still in that role now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure