Need advice on immersion switch, on or off and other "how to use"

Hi everybody

Please forgive my stupidity lol!
I have moved into my new flat (it's a Bovis home) about 10 years old
It has gas central heating and a hot water tank, do I neeed to leave the immersion switch on 24/7?
I don't use much hot water as I have ice cold showers twice a day, only need hot water for washing my hands during the day and I do use a little with my showering switching from cold to hot

Trying to think of the best way to be frugal

I currently have my timer for hot water to come on 3 times a day for an hour a time, but I've turnt the immersion switch off

Not really sure what is the right thing to do?

If anyone can explain how all this works and best way to use everything

Currently got heating on for the 1st time this year

Comments

• EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Two questions:
    1) Does (or can) the gas boiler also heat the hot water cylinder, or does it just do the central heating?

2) Do you have an Economy7 electricity meter/supply?

If the answer to 1 is 'yes', and 'no' to 2, then keep the immersion heater switched off.

Any other combination of answers then the situation gets more complicated!
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • EachPenny wrote: »
    Two questions:
    1) Does (or can) the gas boiler also heat the hot water cylinder, or does it just do the central heating?

2) Do you have an Economy7 electricity meter/supply?

If the answer to 1 is 'yes', and 'no' to 2, then keep the immersion heater switched off.

Any other combination of answers then the situation gets more complicated!

Hi there

I don't have economy 7, I know that the boiler in the kitchen comes on is on now while my central heating is on, I have the immersion switch set to OFF next to the water tank in the hall cupboard, and have had it like this for over a week, yet when the timer kicks in for the water to come on, I do get hot water
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Off.

Immersion is for backup in your case
  • Is the water timer the same timer as for the central heating? That means your boiler does the hot water too and the immersion should be OFF.

The immersion is there only as a backup so you can still get hot water if the boiler fails.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Is the water timer the same timer as for the central heating? That means your boiler does the hot water too and the immersion should be OFF.

The immersion is there only as a backup so you can still get hot water if the boiler fails.

Yes, the timer controls my central heating and hot water
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport