Post-accident compensation calls

Options
Back in April I was involved in a motorway accident that caused considerable damage to my car. The other driver’s insurance company admitted liability, repairs were authorised and carried out (albeit taking over 7 weeks until I got my car back) and a loan car provided and paid for. I was asked several times by my insurance company whether I had any whiplash, aches or pains etc to which I replied no – I’m not one for making spurious claims.

The problem is that a few weeks after I had the car back I started receiving numerous calls from various companies (all of whom had detailed knowledge of my details, the other driver’s name and details, the insurance companies involved etc) saying that money had been put aside by the other driver’s insurance company to cover any general inconvenience or financial consequences of the accident (costs of phone calls to my insurers and repairers, bus or taxi fares, missed appointments, effect on work, just general nuisance of not having my own car etc) and it was just waiting to be claimed. I replied in each instance that although it had obviously caused a lot of inconvenience I hadn’t particularly suffered and did not consider a claim to be justified, but as time has gone on the number of calls has become almost unbearable – numerous calls virtually every day to both mobile and house phone to the point where I am just being rude and dismissive and hanging up. When I have tried to discuss it logically I’ve been told that there is a 3 year limit on claiming and that these calls are likely to continue over this period unless I claim it at which time the calls will cease (presumably as there will be no commission to be made as the claim has been dealt with).

Against my better judgement I am considering claiming just to stop this constant harassment. If I do so does anybody know if there is likely to be any consequence with regards to my insurance company and/or policy or any other downside?

Much as I hate to perpetuate these vultures making money out of todays blame culture the nuisance factor of all these cold calls disrupting my work and home life is driving me barmy.

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,734 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Register with the TPS then threaten the companies with reporting them if they don't stop cold calling. The threat of the fine they'll get generally does the trick.
    I'd also consider whacking in a complaint to the insurance company for sellng on your personal details and contact information.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    elsien wrote: »
    I'd also consider whacking in a complaint to the insurance company for sellng on your personal details and contact information.

Unfortunately "you" probably agreed to this as part of the T&Cs when "you" took out insurance with them.

"you" = generic person
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    And there is no guarantee it was the OP's insurance company who sold on the information. You just have to think of all the individuals and organisations who become involved in recovering, accessing, providing a courtesy car and repairing the vehicle. Any of those could be the culprit.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Against my better judgement I am considering claiming just to stop this constant harassment.
    Believe me that's not going to happen. Myself and many others get these calls and I've not had an accident, well certainly not in the last 10 years.

As posted sign up to the TPS and when any of them ring up just tell them they've made a mistake.
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    And you will still get cold calls "conducting an important survey about health for The Government" When I invoke the TPS they tell me that they are exempt.

When all they need to get my co-operation is to offer to pay me.....

(They don't work for nothing, and neither do I)
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • straighttalker
    Options
    I wonder what would happen if you started getting cold calls about funeral payment plans or life insurance?
  • Hoof_Hearted
    Hoof_Hearted Posts: 2,361 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Snap! After my perfect no fault accident, I have been plagued by calls. I am not going to commit fraud as my injuries were very minor. I started off being polite but I have lost patience and for the last 67 calls I have just been rude to them. I gather there is a two-year cut off for injury claims so my calls should stop soon.
    Je suis sabot...
  • straighttalker
    Options
    Three year cut off for personal injury.
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just tell them you've been advised that you can't claim seeing as you died in the accident.
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Three year cut off for personal injury.

And that 3 years starts from when the injury was linked to the accident.

You could have a sore neck for 20 years, and then a consultant tells you this sort of injury is the result of trauma from a car accident, so you remember that big pile up when you were 18, and you can still claim.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure