Challenge IPA?

Comments

• TheGardener
    TheGardener Posts: 3,303
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Everyone parks somewhere and for the majority - its costs upto £2.50 for a few hours in town on a Saturday - its a wholly reasonable expense.
    I don't know if there are any templates - the Debt Doctor is the best with advice for challenging templates but has a day job too so isn't always available on these boards...

An element of most peoples debt is because we so often underestimate our expenditure - just tell the OR that having sought help and advice, you realise that you had not ben thorough enough in gauging your expenditure - ask if they will give you another week and if you haven't already, then see what a pension contribution at work will make you your SOA :)
  • Everyone parks somewhere and for the majority - its costs upto £2.50 for a few hours in town on a Saturday - its a wholly reasonable expense.
    I don't know if there are any templates - the Debt Doctor is the best with advice for challenging templates but has a day job too so isn't always available on these boards...

An element of most peoples debt is because we so often underestimate our expenditure - just tell the OR that having sought help and advice, you realise that you had not ben thorough enough in gauging your expenditure - ask if they will give you another week and if you haven't already, then see what a pension contribution at work will make you your SOA :)

Point taken about the car parking. Yes, I appreciate people here helping have their lives to lead and I'm very appreciative of the help I've received so far.

My pension is already deducted from my pay, so I should've stated that beforehand, I'll take your advice and contact the OR to see if they can extend it.

Thanks,
  • So I'm bemused now, I've just called to speak to the examiner regarding the IPA that's been set, after emailing her Friday and not hearing back from her, I stated that I wanted to challenge the IPA figures as I feel that I simply cannot afford the £24 a month. She brought up the figures there and then we went over them, I told her that I had missed car parking off the figures, £10 and that my fuel allowance should be £70 instead of £60, which then took my surplus to £4 instead of £24; which she advised that I do not have enough surplus to pay anything back and that a new letter would come out to state this and that was it.

I was expecting to have to write into the OR to challenge them etc yet the examiner was happy to accept this information over the phone, I suppose once the letter comes to confirm it I will know for sure.
  • TheGardener
    TheGardener Posts: 3,303
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    ;)
    well done. Very often the OR knows you may have miscalculated but not all of them feel ok with pointing it out to you - their job is to get as much back for the creditors as poss - its for the debt charities and advice boards like this to help with reasonable adjustments.
  • ;)
    well done.

Thank you! All that stress for nothing! :(
  • luvchocolate
    luvchocolate Posts: 3,244
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    Great news! So pleased for you.
  • ;)
    well done. Very often the OR knows you may have miscalculated but not all of them feel ok with pointing it out to you - their job is to get as much back for the creditors as poss - its for the debt charities and advice boards like this to help with reasonable adjustments.

Yes I'm aware that their job is to get as much money back as possible. Thanks for your advice.
  • debt_doctor
    debt_doctor Posts: 4,595
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi,

Sorry I was a bit late to the party on this one!
    Just wanted to say well done.

DD
    Debt Doctor, Debt caseworker, Citizens' Advice Bureau .
    Impartial debt advice services: Citizens Advice Bureau Find your local CAB *** National Debtline - Tel: 0808 808 4000*** BSC No. 100 ***
  • Hi,

Sorry I was a bit late to the party on this one!
    Just wanted to say well done.

DD

No problem and thank you!
  • I had the letter yesterday to confirm that I don't have an IPA to pay, just that my tax code will go down to NT :j

Two final questions; when or at which point can I go back to normal? When I say normal, I mean no longer worrying that I've purchased something on my card and the OR might question me? After I'm discharged?

Also, my partner might be starting a job in next few months (not confirmed), it'll only be for a few hours a week, therefore, she will only bring in an extra £100ish a month, she currently receives Child Tax Credits and Child Benefits only. When I did my SOA I never declared what my partner receives and neither did the examiner ask when I had my phone interview, I just stated that my figures were my share of the bills etc and that was it. The examiner did state when I called her on Monday to challenge the IPA that she didn't have any figures down for my partner, however she never requested these again. Ultimately as it'll be my partner getting an increase what is the best course of action if my partner gets a job?

Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport