PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2018 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Morning all,

Went for our weekly shop and managed to only spend £18.01. :j :j That means that I am £16.99 down on my weekly budget this week.

My monthly total is £60.89/ £151!!

So so happy.
    Frugal Living Challenge, Household £0/5,000 Personal £0/3,000 Starting on the 25th Jan.
    January 2018 Grocery Challenge - £42.88/280 20p Savers - £5.20p Virtual Sealed Pot No. 14 - £19.04/£260 Mortgage Overpayments - £0/£1,200 Sealed Pot No 37 :j
  • Morning all. I've had quite a few NSD up to 5 not including today. Popped to Lid! yesterday for a few little bits spent £7.63 then Ald! £3.17 brings my total to £26. little worried now as I've spent over half my budget already. On the bright side its free coffee and fruit at work today.
    Jan GC £57.26/£50
    Feb GC £17.06/£60
    Jan - Mar WLC 6/11
  • End of the first week for me and I've spent £35.88/200. Fairly pleased and think this week will be similar but I know next week is going to be spendy as I'm going to visit friends and the travel and eating/drinking out will add up... hopefully I'll be able to cover it with the savings from this week and next - fingers crossed!!
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,691
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    So far, so good. Just £9.15 spent in Wk 1 with 6 NSDs. :):)

The only thing I will need this week is milk that I'll get from the local C!op. It's dearer than in Sainsbobs but it's nearer to home and doesn't entice me to spend as much. :D I also have one of their 50p MOCs for meat/pate products that I may or may not use, depending on what they have in stock. Same applies to ys items.

This week's meal plan has been done, with everything coming from the freezer, fridge and cupboards.

Sun (yesterday) - Roast pork, gravy, chestnut & apricot stuffing, roast and mashed potatoes, sprouts
    Mon (today) - Liver, bacon & onion casserole, mash and Savoy cabbage
    Tues - Ham, red pepper & chorizo pasta bake
    Wed - Baked cod fillet in mustard sauce, mash, peas
    Thur - 1/4lb beefburgers, baked courgette slices, chips
    Fri - Battered fish fillet, mushy peas
    Sat - Seafood platter

For this week's soup I'm trying curried carrot & chickpea; no recipe - just adding what I think will work. :D

I'd second what others have said about meal planning before going shopping. And keeping a record of every spend, on what and when is also an eye-opener that helps you to see where your cash is going. It might seem a bit of a faff at first but it pays dividends in the long run. ;)
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • Evening all. Thank you PipneyJane for the potato suggestions. I’m filing that for this weekend.

The last two days have been NSDs.

Totals So Far:
    3 NSD
    €110.27 / €250.00

I’ll be doing some shops tomorrow as I want fresh greens instead of cooked veg and to get pork chops which are on sale at Lidl. I’m already thinking of removing some things from my Lidl list to scale back my total. This Saturday we’re hosting a dinner party so I’ll have to plan my spends for that. There will be about eight of us in total. I’m going to make the ice cream with all that leftover brandy cream as a dessert. :)
  • I'd to join this year's Grocery Challenge please, with a budget of £180 each month. (This amount is for two adults, but also feed visiting friends, family and grandchildren!!!) Have food in larder and freezer to use, so hoping to have a low-spend month with lots of thrifty but tasty meals :)
    #Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain #We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us #If you focus on what you have left behind, you will never see what lies ahead - Gusteau/RatatouilleGC 2022: £0/£2,500 total spend
  • Hi all..
    Shopping day... spent £38.69 in L*dls & £14.99 in my mums local butcher (got chicken bo*obies, small n large sausages, burgers and 2lb mince) :T
    Decided on a roastie for tea, chicken from the slow cooker, various veg & yummy roast potatoes and parsnips :D
    Also made a large cornflake cake for packed lunches this week, grated up a large bag of breadcrumbs (froze them) & will make a banana loaf tomorrow thanks to some squishy ones in the fruit bowl!
    Feeling really positive about the challenge.. It's given me focus for what I want my family to eat!
    Totals have been adjusted and currently stand at £83.95/£350.. :)
    "There's a little witch in all of us"🥰
    DEBT FREE 06/2018
    MrsSD 2023 Decluttering Campaign:
    🏅⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Dizzy_Imp
    Dizzy_Imp Posts: 2,755
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Shopped for fruit, veg, milk, coffee and bread today. Came home with hot chocolate, cat biscuits, crumpets and lots more, not on the list. £77.67 spent, which added to my fist shop and the food bought at the cafe during footie tournament means I'm already at £196.90/£600. Almost a third of my budget gone...gulp...
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    YorksLass wrote: »
    For this week's soup I'm trying curried carrot & chickpea; no recipe - just adding what I think will work. :D
    Now that sounds good! Its one to aim for later this month. So far I'm using up stuff from the freezer....very, very slowly. There's only so much that can be eaten in one day, after all! The fridge is still half full and I hope to hold off a shop until Saturday at least. £11.63 spent so far, but £5.50 of that was spent on YS goodies that I gave away.

4 NSDs so far - more than I expected at day 8. Just as well, because my credit card took a real hammering last month, and the bill arrived today to prove it :o
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Spent 9.76 euros today, bought 6 cans tinned tomatoes, 2 dozen eggs, ham, courgettes, cherry tomatoes, orange juice and cereal for DD.
    Leaving 116.23 left to spend.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport