The "Save 12k in 2018" Thread!

Comments

• Owen1991
    Owen1991 Posts: 70 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 January 2018 at 2:21PM
    Can I join in please? I've never seen this challenge before but I'm keen to give it a go.

As this will be my first year, can I start with £12000 and see how I get on with that.
    Will update my Sig with the number once i can get access.
    Thank you

Owen1991
    2021 - £11250 Saved || 2020 - £4750 Saved || 2019 - £4000 Saved || 2018 - £9000 Saved
  • geoffers4
    geoffers4 Posts: 263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 5 January 2018 at 10:30PM
    denmjd wrote: »
    May I just ask please for hints & tips on how people are managing to save these amounts? Don't mean to be rude, I really am just genuinely interested, is it from your wages or is there anything else anyone does to supplement this for savings? I am looking for the best savings method as I want to start saving for my wedding, thanks in advance for all your help & I wish you good luck in your goals! Thank You

Congrats on the upcoming wedding and welcome to the thread! Just to echo what others have said - everyone's situation is different so of course the actual amount saved will be different. I'm always super-impressed by people who stick with the thread all the way through the year, and stick to their budget even if their income isn't huge.

I've reached the point where our mortgage is paid off, and our boys are grown-up, so I can save larger amounts now. But my hints & tips are the same as always; buy groceries at Aldi, take a packed lunch to work, avoid posh coffee shops (avoid all shops!), stick to a budget and study the MSE website for money-saving ideas.

YNAB sounds excellent, but I still rely on a good old fashioned spreadsheet for my budget

see an example by clicking this link

Good luck!
    Save 12k in 2013-2014-2015-2016-2017-2018-2019-2020-2021-2022 - then early-retired.
  • darkidoe
    darkidoe Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    May I just ask please for hints & tips on how people are managing to save these amounts? Don't mean to be rude, I really am just genuinely interested, is it from your wages or is there anything else anyone does to supplement this for savings? I am looking for the best savings method as I want to start saving for my wedding, thanks in advance for all your help & I wish you good luck in your goals! Thank You

Frugalwoods does the Uber Frugal Month: The Ultimate Guide To Saving More Money Than You Ever Thought Possible in January and July collectively as a group. I am doing it at the moment. Might be worthy exercise to learn some of the common concepts of saving/frugality/minimalism/resourcefulness/happiness/goals.

Save 12K in 2020 # 38 £0/£20,000
  • denmjd wrote: »

Hi Denmjd,

Congratulations on your engagement!

I can see you’ve already had lots of useful replies but wanted to add one more thing for you. That whole pay yourself first idea - so American but so true. I started the challenge last year and the thing the target did for me was make me clear on the amount I wanted to save ie pay myself. Then I did that first at the start of the month and tried to budget the rest of my month with what was left. Not always successfully but I’m a work in progress. That was the biggest thing that changed for me in doing the challenge. I’m trying for a bigger number this year too so I’m not claiming I’ve got this 100% sorted or anything.

Good luck!
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    geoffers4 wrote: »

YNAB sounds excellent, but I still rely on a good old fashioned spreadsheet for my budget - you can see an example by

clicking this link

Good luck!

I am always interested in what others budget for. I noticed you don't include life insurance in yours geoffers4 - is that deliberate (and if so, why?) if you don't mind me asking?
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post

I do two things, I put a certain amount into a S&S ISA and I tidy our accounts - we have two, and I log in almost every day to monitor and record spends (I know mine but not DH's) and simply tidy down to the next round number. On good months I do this to the next £50 but on stretch months I might just go to the next £10. Lots of people do this, and describe it as Tilly tidying (attributing to the person on here who made them consider it).

I also don't count over-paying our mortgage and we don't count our pension contributions (which are through salary).
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • denmjd
    denmjd Posts: 81 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    geoffers4 wrote: »
    Congrats on the upcoming wedding and welcome to the thread! Just to echo what others have said - everyone's situation is different so of course the actual amount saved will be different. I'm always super-impressed by people who stick with the thread all the way through the year, and stick to their budget even if their income isn't huge.

I've reached the point where our mortgage is paid off, and our boys are grown-up, so I can save larger amounts now. But my hints & tips are the same as always; buy groceries at Aldi, take a packed lunch to work, avoid posh coffee shops (avoid all shops!), stick to a budget and study the MSE website for money-saving ideas.

YNAB sounds excellent, but I still rely on a good old fashioned spreadsheet for my budget - you can see an example by

clicking this link

Good luck!

Thanks so much for replying geoffers4 & thanks for your link, so handy, i started one last night before I was off babysitting all evening, but this is so much better, saves me loads of time, & what with work , my mum, & 3 grandkids, time is in somewhat short supply lol, so this is very much appreciated, should be able to see things much clearer now... I have to say how friendly & encouraging people are on here, not been on for a while, so much to do & problems with friends, (illnesses & supporting them, bless their hearts) I had forgotten just how helpful people are... I don't do coffee shops, eeek! the prices!! (good job i'm not a coffee drinker, can't believe these places are always so busy) do shop at Aldi, & a tiny bit at Waitrose (just for their Lemon & Pepper chicken) the taking lunch to work thing I could be better on, so the challenge IS sticking to the budget,my downfall is, not spending for ages then having a splurge, then it takes a while to get back to saving again, having a big event to save for will be the focus, so hopefully will keep on track Thanks again, I wish you well on your challenge, look forward to seeing how you do xx
    Hi No. 105 January savings £350
    £250 in N/w Flex reg saver
    also opened an s&s Orbis Isa with £100
  • denmjd
    darkidoe wrote: »
    Frugalwoods does the Uber Frugal Month: The Ultimate Guide To Saving More Money Than You Ever Thought Possible in January and July collectively as a group. I am doing it at the moment. Might be worthy exercise to learn some of the common concepts of saving/frugality/minimalism/resourcefulness/happiness/goals.

Thanks Darkidoe, this looks great, I will have a more in depth look at this when I get home, I do like the way from what I've briefly looked at that there is humour in it too, Homework Time (similar to Hammer Time, but without the dance moves) you never know what extra hints & tips you will find on this, i appreciate you posting this I am sure it will help me, as one well known supermarket puts it, every little helps! I wish you well in your challenge, for whatever goal you aim for xx
  • denmjd
    I do two things, I put a certain amount into a S&S ISA and I tidy our accounts - we have two, and I log in almost every day to monitor and record spends (I know mine but not DH's) and simply tidy down to the next round number. On good months I do this to the next £50 but on stretch months I might just go to the next £10. Lots of people do this, and describe it as Tilly tidying (attributing to the person on here who made them consider it).

I also don't count over-paying our mortgage and we don't count our pension contributions (which are through salary).

Hi Suffolk Lass, many many thanks for your reply, like the idea of tidying your accounts, I am guessing that you put the leftover £50 or £10 in your savings account? I will definitely be doing this, can't believe I've never thought of doing it before DOH! sorry what is S&S? I wish you well on your challenge & goals whatever they may be xx
  • Hi Slowlyfading

Could you put me down for £6000 this year please.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure