Question about insurance

Comments

• Aretnap
    Aretnap Posts: 5,208 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    jack_pott wrote: »
    They're just thoughts that were prompted by your remark about it still being a car even if "totally immobilised and could only be moved by being dragged away".

What if he takes the battery out/disconnects the prop shaft/removes the wheels/whatever? Where is the line in law between a car and not a car.
    That would be a question for a court to decide based on the specific facts of the case - you're not going to find a list of every possible modification you might make to a car with a ruling on whether or not it's still a car. It would come down to the ordinary meaning of the words, broadly interpreted.

In ordinary language a car which has run out of petrol is still a car, as is a car which has broken down, a car with a flat (or disconnected) battery, or a car which you've jacked up while you change a wheel. (Pumbien v Vines involved a car with deflated tyres, seized brakes and no oil in the gearbox, which could not have been moved without significant repairs). If you'd dismantled it to the point where no reasonable person would still call it a car then you might be able to leave the constituent parts on the road without the need for an MOT - but then you could probably be done for littering instead.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Aretnap wrote: »
    That would be a question for a court to decide based on the specific facts of the case - you're not going to find a list of every possible modification you might make to a car with a ruling on whether or not it's still a car. It would come down to the ordinary meaning of the words, broadly interpreted.

In ordinary language a car which has run out of petrol is still a car, as is a car which has broken down, a car with a flat (or disconnected) battery, or a car which you've jacked up while you change a wheel. (Pumbien v Vines involved a car with deflated tyres, seized brakes and no oil in the gearbox, which could not have been moved without significant repairs). If you'd dismantled it to the point where no reasonable person would still call it a car then you might be able to leave the constituent parts on the road without the need for an MOT - but then you could probably be done for littering instead.

Or more likely wilful obstruction of the highway.
  • Aretnap wrote: »
    If you'd dismantled it to the point where no reasonable person would still call it a car then you might be able to leave the constituent parts on the road without the need for an MOT - but then you could probably be done for littering instead.

Which brings me back to the question: would a reasonable person call this a car? My guess is that nobody will want to answer the question until you build one, and then there will be people queuing up to tell you it's illegal.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 9 September 2017 at 4:11PM
    Car_54 wrote: »
    The OP's vehicle was originally intended for use on roads

But this was originally intended for use on roads too.

If the definition is "motorised and intended for the roads" then you could commute to work on a lawnmower without tax & MOT.
    If the definition is "motorised or intended for the roads" then you need tax & MOT for a bicycle.
  • At the end of the day a parked car on a road there shouldn’t be an issue fair enough it has no MOT that only effects the driving aspect of the car, with or without MOT if I park it in the same spot it is still going to have the same restrictions & anyway why shouldn’t I be able to park it in a public place? I pay the road tax for the vehicle, i paid it up front & it is still going to be valid when the MOT runs out? Surely I have this right to leave it idle on a public road as a tax payer?
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    At the end of the day a parked car on a road there shouldn’t be an issue fair enough it has no MOT that only effects the driving aspect of the car, with or without MOT if I park it in the same spot it is still going to have the same restrictions & anyway why shouldn’t I be able to park it in a public place? I pay the road tax for the vehicle, i paid it up front & it is still going to be valid when the MOT runs out? Surely I have this right to leave it idle on a public road as a tax payer?

Yes but they have a right to fine you for the use of a vehicle (whether or not you drive it or not) and you will have no defence. Will you be caught? Depends. Have you pi55ed off any neighbours recently? Or do you have busybody neighbours?
  • Mercdriver wrote: »
    Yes but they have a right to fine you for the use of a vehicle (whether or not you drive it or not) and you will have no defence. Will you be caught? Depends. Have you pi55ed off any neighbours recently? Or do you have busybody neighbours?

No but I have a recordering tracker device that I have in the vehicle, which I can use as evidence if I do get a fine to show that I have not driven the vehicle after all it seems useless to me to have an MOT if you are just using the car for storage for example.
  • No but I have a recordering tracker device that I have in the vehicle, which I can use as evidence if I do get a fine to show that I have not driven the vehicle after all it seems useless to me to have an MOT if you are just using the car for storage for example.

You'd be guilty and have no defence whether it moves or not.
  • Aretnap
    Aretnap Posts: 5,208 Forumite
    No but I have a recordering tracker device that I have in the vehicle, which I can use as evidence if I do get a fine to show that I have not driven the vehicle
    And your evidence will make no difference whatsoever - it doesn't matter whether you have driven it or not.
    after all it seems useless to me to have an MOT if you are just using the car for storage for example.
    Well, the law requires you to have an MOT if you keep your car parked on the road. If you think it's a silly law then fair enough, you're entitled to your opinion. That won't stop you being fined for breaking it though.
  • No but I have a recordering tracker device that I have in the vehicle, which I can use as evidence if I do get a fine to show that I have not driven the vehicle after all it seems useless to me to have an MOT if you are just using the car for storage for example.

Can't you find a car park or any other public place that isn't a road to park it legally?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure