What's higher risk equities or peer to peer

Comments

• Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,924 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    If you want to diversify in equities/ bonds etc, through a fund manager then you pay for him/ her/them mega bucks to advise. I'd never risk doing my own choices, following mega paper loss with Halifax plc. I'm warming to p2p, even more so now that p2p ISAs are available.

You think the people at Zopa and Ratesetter who choose which borrowers get the lenders' money work for free?

You can easily DIY a diversified portfolio of stocks and shares without paying mega bucks to a fund manager. With both equities and P2P you can have a portfolio diversified across hundreds of securities or pick and choose individual ones. With both you can pay someone else to handle the diversification or do it yourself.

You are making the classic mistake of assuming that because they don't tell you the charges they don't exist.
  • P2P could be the next car crash waiting to happen:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:3BE9t7OyLL0J:www.altfi.com/article/0131_p2p_and_crowdfunding_could_be_a_car_crash_waiting_to_happen+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk&client=firefox-b

(Use the cached version to get around making a login account)

"The proposed regime may create a very dangerous situation where a P2P website could essentially be started out of someone's bedroom, by someone that has absolutely no lending experience or understanding of loan underwriting. The proposed regulations do not even provide an obligation on a platform to do the most simple of checks, such as a credit check, nor use any sort of fraud detection system. The regulation effectively allows P2P lending platforms to 'outsource loan underwriting to the masses'."
  • aldershot
    aldershot Posts: 197 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    disclosure: I have no p2p in my portfolio (and no regrets). I do have corporate bonds.

If the masters of the universe mispriced correlation risk so badly in 2007-2008, then I have no confidence that the average p2p lending platform can price it correctly now.

I think the default risk is far more digital then others do. Either it's all Ok and everyone can pay their (sub prime) loans, or the economy takes a dive (quite possible in the next few years) and whole swaths of borrowers cannot repay at the same time and the defaults sky rocket. It won't be a contained drip. Just my 2c.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,846 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Malthusian wrote: »
    You are making the classic mistake of assuming that because they don't tell you the charges they don't exist.
    ....as well as the classic mistake of assuming that, after making a loss on a single stock, investing in equities, etc, must therefore be risky/expensive/unreliable/difficult as a general principle rather than spotting that said loss is only symptomatic of poor investing by not diversifying in the first place!
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,924 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Short history of P2P: Once upon a time some people decided to cut the middlemen out of corporate and personal lending, and set up a platform where people who wanted to invest could lend money directly to people who wanted to borrow. But then some sections of the market (Zopa, Ratesetter and friends) realised then when you cut the middlemen out of lending, a lot of people borrow money and don't pay it back, because the middlemen aren't there to say "no you can't have any money". And that if this happened too often, people might lose their shirt and kick up a fuss about it.

So P2P decided to put the middlemen back into lending. Instead of their customers picking which loans to invest in individually, the platform's middlemen would match lenders to borrowers for them (although depending on platform the customers could still ask the middlemen to pick "high risk" or "not so high risk" loans). Furthermore, the platform would hold some of the interest back from their customers and put it into a "reserve fund" to cover those borrowers who despite the best efforts of the middlemen didn't pay their loans back. Because otherwise P2P would just be the same as a high yield bond fund, and we already have lots of those. Instead, now P2P is a With Profits fund but one that only invests in corporate and personal debt instead of a multi-asset stockmarket portfolio. And thus the future of investment took a brave leap forward into the 1970s.

Of course we still have the other segment of the market - Lendy & Funding Circle etc. - which remains true to the original aim of P2P, to cut out the middleman, and match people who want to engage in corporate lending without due diligence and people who want to borrow money without going through due diligence for no doubt perfectly good reasons.

And everybody lived happy ever after, after allowing a 2% per annum deduction for bad debts.
  • Marine_life
    Marine_life Posts: 1,059 Forumite
    Hung up my suit!
    I suspect that if you compare a single share in one company to a P2P investment it will be relatively eaiser to say which is the higher risk. However, if you look at a balanced portfolio it would be much more difficult as you'd need to understand the composition of the portfolio.

Logic suggests that P2P is more risky as there is always a risk of platform failure and this is still a relatively immature market. However, FCA regulation means that should become less of an issue.
    Money won't buy you happiness....but I have never been in a situation where more money made things worse!
  • p2p is riskier than funds and bonds anytime, but p2p is less riskier than individual company shares
    Another night of thankfulness.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    p2p is riskier than funds and bonds anytime, but p2p is less riskier than individual company shares

In any investment class there are any number of inherent risks. Broad comparison simply isn't meaningful.
  • Flobberchops
    Flobberchops Posts: 1,279 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I'm a big fan of P2P.

In terms of risk I've noticed that if a stocks portfolio dropped 10% in value, most people would be philosophical and say "it's the nature of the beast, don't micromanage, let the fluctuations even out". But those same people would start panic-selling if one of their ten P2P loans defaulted.

I'm a pragmatist and I like to look at the bottom line - and that bottom is, in my personal experience, P2P represents a fantastic return and refreshingly free of the fees, charges and commission that stockbrokers are synonymous with. P2P is one of the best things you can do with cash, short of spending it on booze and women.

I'll balance that by saying I don't feel platforms like Zopa offering a mere 4ish% are worth the bother. If I'm going to waive FSCS compensation I want it to be worth my while.
    : )
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    In terms of risk I've noticed that if a stocks portfolio dropped 10% in value, most people would be philosophical and say "it's the nature of the beast, don't micromanage, let the fluctuations even out". But those same people would start panic-selling if one of their ten P2P loans defaulted.

One of the biggest failures of amateur investors is to cut their losses by selling up totally. Once in serious decline the true value of a business is a lot less than it's balance sheet worth. Let alone market worth.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure