UPDATED: Air Source Heat Pumps/Air Con - Full Info & Guide, is it cheaper to run than mains gas?

Comments

• thechippy wrote: »
    I'm in Hindhead, 20 mins from Guildford.....;)

Do you want me to pop in and have a look for you foc when I'm passing??

I can highly reccomend this chap! He has helped me in the past :)

Do take up his offer.
    If you found my post helpful, please remember to press the THANKS button! --->
  • thechippy
    thechippy Posts: 1,938 Forumite
    How's it going with yours mate..:beer:
    Happiness, is a Kebab called Doner.....:heart2::heart2:
  • thechippy wrote: »
    How's it going with yours mate..:beer:

Dont even ask...

http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27723
  • bushyh
    bushyh Posts: 53 Forumite
    Well folks heat went off totally this afternoon, have been out several times (not that I need to as I can usually hear it inside if I stop and listen) the pump does not seem to be working though bizarrely it sounds like the hot water is heating up - guess will know that tomorrow if it runs cold - thankfully I do have an immersion to get over that one.

Ho ho ho - still my christmas tree looks lovely and will appreciate the cooler climate!
  • If the pump wasn't working and it sounded like the hot water was heating up it sounds to me like the immersion was doing the water heating.
  • grahamc2003
    grahamc2003 Posts: 1,771 Forumite
    I've been trying to search for confirmation (or not) on whether ASHPs will be covered by the RHI when it comes in next year. I'd got the impression that they will be included, but the price is still up in the air of course (even though about 7p/kwh has been mentioned, but that before the coalition cutbacks).

I ask because today I had someone MCS qualified to quote for a system for me. Haven't got the quote yet, but the system looks like it's going to be a 9kw Mitsubishi outside unit, connected to 3 inside units (as yet unspecified), all air blowing, and no hot water involved. It's a supplementary system, not designed to keep all the house as warm as most people like, but just really to take the chill off the colder areas (i.e. I'm not interested in maintaing 25 degrees everywhere when it's -7 outside, that would probably be impossible in my big leaky old house).

I asked whether such a system will be, or is likely to be, covered by the rhi. He didn't think it would be, and implied only 'full systems' like the ecodan will be covered. That was pretty bad news to me. Do others have some views or definitive (as far as they can be at the moment) information about the rhi for such a system?
  • Haven't got the quote yet, but the system looks like it's going to be a 9kw Mitsubishi outside unit, connected to 3 inside units (as yet unspecified), all air blowing, and no hot water involved. It's a supplementary system, not designed to keep all the house as warm as most people like, but just really to take the chill off the colder areas (i.e. I'm not interested in maintaing 25 degrees everywhere when it's -7 outside, that would probably be impossible in my big leaky old house).

Hi Graham

What temperature indoors are you hoping to achieve and maintain the rooms at? Which rooms will the indoor units be installed in.

I have a multi split system like yours installed in my 2 bed flat and the whole flat is toast warm at about 22/23C however if it drops below about -5C we have to bump the fan speeds up and leave it on 24/7 as the house temp drops very quickly.
  • grahamc2003
    grahamc2003 Posts: 1,771 Forumite
    Hi Graham

What temperature indoors are you hoping to achieve and maintain the rooms at? Which rooms will the indoor units be installed in.

I have a multi split system like yours installed in my 2 bed flat and the whole flat is toast warm at about 22/23C however if it drops below about -5C we have to bump the fan speeds up and leave it on 24/7 as the house temp drops very quickly.

Hi Richard (seen your, and Steve's youtube videos, very useful, thanks).

The mcs person measured up all the rooms/outside walls/windows etc and will feed all the info into his PC which has software which will indicate temperatures acheivable in all the areas of the house, presumably with no other heating. I don't want high temperatures upstairs - I can handle zero in my bedroom, but the wife and teenage girls like it a bit warmer than that. We tend to get damp problems sometimes due to too low a temperature (I run dehumidifiers to fix that), so I'd like the temps up a bit to fix the condensations, so say 12/15 in bedrooms. The main living room has a woodburner, so no probs getting that into the 20s - I'd like the option of not lighting the wood burner, so I'd like 20 in this room (no prob for the ashp since one would go in this room, and hopefully inject heat into the (often cold) hallway with the door open. The other area of the house consists of two more rooms, one a large 30 year old extension with 'louvre' windows (i.e. gaps to the outside, about as poor heat retaining properties as you can get) and large (old) double glazed units all along the length. We don't use it much in the winter, but around 14/15 would be ok for this. The dining room (also an inside unit located here) i'd hope for 20 degrees for a couple of hours a day (using a portable heater if necessary)
    All rooms currently have storage heaters on low/medium, running at about £6 per day (on e7). If I tried to maintain 20 everywhere, that would go up to I'd guess £9/£10 with all heaters on full, and some rooms would still be cold later in the day. The main heat in the room used most is the woodburner.

My main problem currently is whether or not such a system will be covered by the rhi.
  • Hi Richard (seen your, and Steve's youtube videos, very useful, thanks).

The mcs person measured up all the rooms/outside walls/windows etc and will feed all the info into his PC which has software which will indicate temperatures acheivable in all the areas of the house, presumably with no other heating. I don't want high temperatures upstairs - I can handle zero in my bedroom, but the wife and teenage girls like it a bit warmer than that. We tend to get damp problems sometimes due to too low a temperature (I run dehumidifiers to fix that), so I'd like the temps up a bit to fix the condensations, so say 12/15 in bedrooms. The main living room has a woodburner, so no probs getting that into the 20s - I'd like the option of not lighting the wood burner, so I'd like 20 in this room (no prob for the ashp since one would go in this room, and hopefully inject heat into the (often cold) hallway with the door open. The other area of the house consists of two more rooms, one a large 30 year old extension with 'louvre' windows (i.e. gaps to the outside, about as poor heat retaining properties as you can get) and large (old) double glazed units all along the length. We don't use it much in the winter, but around 14/15 would be ok for this. The dining room (also an inside unit located here) i'd hope for 20 degrees for a couple of hours a day (using a portable heater if necessary)
    All rooms currently have storage heaters on low/medium, running at about £6 per day (on e7). If I tried to maintain 20 everywhere, that would go up to I'd guess £9/£10 with all heaters on full, and some rooms would still be cold later in the day. The main heat in the room used most is the woodburner.

My main problem currently is whether or not such a system will be covered by the rhi.

I am pretty sure it will be, it states heat pumps what your installing is a heat pump, it doesnt matter if it delivers that heat to water or to air its still a renewable heat source.
  • I agree with Nick. I mean Richard.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure