Boiler Replacement by British Gas £3700

My Central Heating boiler is about 20 years old and needs renewing.
I have a 4 bed semi - 11 rads, 5 sinks, 1 bath, 1 shower.

Called BG after seeing an offer on their website of upto £800 off a new boiler. "Upto" means dependant on conditions of course.
However, as an over 60 resides in the home, am not living off the state, plus weve got the Homecare Insurance, etc etc...Woo Hoo...all the terms were met!

Appointment was made online. Received an email confirming appointment. Next day received a call from BG to confirm appointment and tell me the name of the sales advisor who would be calling. All sounded very helpful and efficient (If only their HomeCare service was a good). Few days letter then receive a letter in the post again confirming the appointment, and ever so gently warning me the advisor will take upto an hour and half to dicuss options and conduct the survey.

The sales guy rings the door bell literally on the dot (although he did arrive 10 mins earlier but sat outside in his shiny new car).

Conducts his survey and quotes me around the £3700 mark. Thats for a replacement boiler BG Glowworm 330, a power flush, a wireless thermostat, and a few other bits and bobs like adding a new radiator thermostat. Although he was unable to break down how he came to the £3700 figure, i tried to do it for him. Apparently Boiler is around £1100, Labour £1900, Thermostat £150, plus VAT, plus all the required certification etc etc etc. Also have to have this magnetic filter thingy fitted too. Bear in mind this quote also takes into account the £800 discount.

I said it sounded to expensive. The response was the price is fixed but he'll knock £150 off if I pay a deposit now - Take it or leave it.
I said leave it - he left his details and before departing said BG are the best, the boiler is fantastic, it has a 15 year parts availability guarantee, we supply and fit the whole package, take care of everything, do millions of systems, are number 1, so dont compromise with anyone else and feel free to call if I decide I want to go ahead. Oh and the quote will also be in the post.

Im no heating engineer, but this sales attempt by BG with all the efficiency and sales patter has just led me to feel this is an attempt to pull the wool over my eyes and it is actually expensive. But thats just how I feel, or is it actually a reaonable quote?

Comments

• Canucklehead
    Canucklehead Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    Good morning: Very expensive price for a mediocre boiler...you should be able to knock £££s off that quote. Get 2 more written, full specification quotations from CORGI gas engineers recommended to you by a source you trust and compare like for like. Check their qualifications with CORGI.

HTH

Canucklehead
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
  • lemontart
    lemontart Posts: 6,037 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    not really - get some more quotes from elsewhere,
    I am responsible me, myself and I alone I am not the keeper others thoughts and words.
  • Paparika
    Paparika Posts: 2,476 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    £800 discount on a quote that's about 1k overpriced..
    Life is about give and take, if you can't give why should you take?
  • kimwoo83
    kimwoo83 Posts: 17 Forumite
    I had a similar experience last night. Our flat currently has slightly antequated electric heating (night storage) and hot water. We need the gas supply brought up to our flat from the ground floor (we're first floor) EXCLUDING the cost of that part we were quoted £4.5k for the installation of the heating system, which would consist of 3 or 4 radiators and a heated towel rail, we have a living room, bedroom, bathroom, kitchen and hallway.

I realise this is probably a bigger job than bobadobado's upgrade but it still seemed expensive.

Are BG fair pricers?...
  • geri1965_2
    geri1965_2 Posts: 8,736 Forumite
    I would never get BG to replace my boiler - they quoted me £1,000 more than two other CORGI registered companies for exactly the same boiler.
  • lexa34
    lexa34 Posts: 587 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Ring 0800512012- tell them your circumstances as being age, disabilities etc... you may be able to get a grant towards new system depending on your council WarmFront criteria. Nothing wrong with it- the money is sat there waiting to go towards systems. If you qualify in any way, shape or form then take the grants (using coucil, then power supplier then Warmfront (govt scheme) so you get the full entiliment towards the heating systems not "used up" on free cavity wall and loft insulation. Also, don't use the people who run the Warmfront scheme's installers (Eaga) as they are pretty much as overpriced as British Gas.

Even if you aren't eligible you an still get your loft insulation topped for about £150 ish WHATEVER your circumstances.

Sorry if you knew all this already.
    Green and minimal chemicals is the new black- I know a fair old bit about sustainability, specially energy and transport stuff. If I can help- please ask!
  • Razor
    Razor Posts: 286 Forumite
    And the best bit is out of that £1900 labour they would pay a subcontractor around £400 to do all the work except the electrics!
    Mine needed a new fan so that must be whats wrong with yours:D
  • lapat
    lapat Posts: 816 Forumite
    is this a combi boiler or just a standard heating boiler with tank for your hot water..?
    need to have a lightbulb moment
  • Unfortunately I'm not at all surprised with the conduct of the British Gas in relation to your replacement boiler, or indeed anything else. I'm given the impression that these BG employees hold strictly to the code of minimum effort & commitment with maximum effort for extra bonuses.

The way people can hit back is by reporting this() don't bother trying to report it to the BG robots manning the "customer care") report it elsewhere and stop your direct debit/monthly payments - if everyone done this these corporate vultures (BG, Virgin, Tiscali, The Banks et al ) would soon feel the effect.
  • midflight
    midflight Posts: 247 Forumite
    he left his details and before departing said British Gas are the best...
    This could well be the most hilariously inaccurate statement I have ever read in my entire life! (and then some). British Gas are the best??????

THE BEST AT WHAT!?!?!?!? Hmmm... the mind boggles! :cool:

p.s. as for the quote, I'd be very surprised if you couldn't get the job done to a very high standard by a small local installer for less than £2000.
    I had my ancient boiler replaced last year with a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 28i Junior. Smaller house than yours, but still a large end-terraced. Total cost = £1350 and that included quite a bit of new pipework, wireless controls, TRVs, etc... and even then I still had people telling me I'd overpaid!! Been very pleased with it though. Hope that helps...
    SKIPS STONES FOR FUDGE
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport