Real-life MMD: Whose glitch is it anyway?

Former_MSE_Debs
Former_MSE_Debs Posts: 890 Forumite
edited 16 October 2012 at 5:02PM in MoneySaving polls
Money Moral Dilemma: Whose glitch is it anyway?

My friend agreed to get me some currency for our holiday, so I transferred him the £200. When we got back, he found he had £200 extra in his account as the bureau mistakenly didn't charg him for my euros. I asked him for the cash back, but he said it was rightfully his. Should I ask for it back, confess to the foreign exchange or let him keep it?

Click reply to have your say

Note: Please remember that these are real-life Money Moral Dilemmas and while we want you to have your say, please remember to be nice when you respond.

Previous MMDs:

[threadbanner] box [/threadbanner]

Comments

• 50:50 surely.
  • lvm
    lvm Posts: 1,544
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I agree...halfers seems fair!
  • ironlady2022
    ironlady2022 Posts: 1,544
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Go halves!
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,827
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Forumite
    I would be telling the currency exchange as I couldn't relax and enjoy spending money that I hadn't paid for.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • giltbrook
    giltbrook Posts: 11 Forumite
    edited 16 October 2012 at 10:21PM
    If the bank realise the mistake, the person whose bank account was used for the purchase will be liable to repay the money, so the friend should be 'holding' the money ready to pay the bank back when they request it, even if that takes several years :rotfl:
  • scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    You got the Euros for the agreed price. What happens between him and the bureau is his concern.
  • Go halves but agree to repay your half if they charge him at a later date, providing he gives your proof.
  • alone103
    alone103 Posts: 14 Forumite
    Many years ago I paid for a jumper in a well known store who debited by card at the time and then 48hrs later the money was back in my account, some 3 months later it was debited out of my account. That money has been earmarked and whether it has been collected or not it will be at some point.
  • cazpost
    cazpost Posts: 109 Forumite
    It certainly isn't your money,you've got the Euros you paid for.It certainly isn't his money either,as there has obviously been a glitch.At some point the bank will ask for it back,so I suggest you either have half each on the understanding you will pay it back when the bank ask for it,or more sensibly your friend goes to the bank now and tries to sort out the mistake.
  • Seems to me that you do not need a thief as a friend. He is stealing from you and the exchange bureau. Sooner or later they will catch up with him and retrieve this cash. Makes me wonder what other laws he breaks and the trust in this friendship should be seriously questioned. Why can't people just be honest and then the world would be a much better and safer place. Unbelievable :mad:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure