11% over 3 years from Ablrate P2P

Comments

• Jonbvn
    Jonbvn Posts: 5,562 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    jamesd wrote: »
    The relatively high vote counts for the relatively little known MoneyThing and Ablrate are interesting.

I think MoneyThing is an excellent p2p platform. It is more of a traditional pawnbroker setup. However, there is a loan open for a light aircraft ATM.
    In case you hadn't already worked it out - the entire global financial system is predicated on the assumption that you're an idiot:cool:
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Yes, MoneyThing is also quite interesting.
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Moneything is new to me but it looks worth further investigation.

The high rate, the short term and the fact that loans are asset-backed are all in its favour.

Against it is the scanty information on the website, though I may try digging deeper for more detail, eg default rates etc.

How long has it been running?

I like the look of Ablrate but that's back to three-year terms. I have my shares are for the long haul, I like my savings to be more readily accessible.

I gave up FC some while ago; three years was a long time to tie money up and defaults made a mess of the planned return.
  • jamesd
    It's worth having a look at all of those which did well in the poll, so at least you know about the offerings that those familiar with P2P think are interesting.

Ablrate terms have varied to as little as three months in the one before this huge one. Just understandable restricting of offers by them at the moment until their new site and advertising are in place. Should start to pick up a bit then, though they are still relatively new and relatively big loans so they won't have the total number of deals that say a consumer credit place has.

One thing I'm using P2P for is to replace some share/fund holdings. With the rates on offer from some P2P that may even pay more than shares, once the effects of market drops are allowed for. I've usually gone for longer term P2P, preferring five year terms.

I am a bit frustrated by the difficulty and cost of putting P2P into pensions at the moment. The place that has the biggest range has a £1200 a year charge and £200,000 minimum pension value so it's not accessible to a lot of people. Hopefully Ablrate will come up with a good introductory offer to make that sort of thing more palatable.

Plenty of choice in the P2P world for many preferences and interests.
  • jamesd
    They made it to 10% yesterday, currently showing £248,000 with 4 days to go. Very impressive that a relatively new platform has managed to get £248k in lending on one loan so far.
  • jamesd
    Now at £249,700 and they have announced that this loan will be completed by institutional investors on Tuesday, so Monday will be the last chance for individuals to participate. That's also when interest due to those who have put in money will be credited to Ablrate accounts.

After this the site will be taken offline for 7-10 days for their major upgrade.
  • TheTracker
    TheTracker Posts: 1,223 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    How much did you invest?
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    jamesd wrote: »
    Which one is that? If it's much lower it wouldn't interest me because it wouldn't compete well enough with other investment alternatives.

Financing a large Airbus jet is well beyond what Ablrate can do at the moment, maybe in a few years...

Company concerned is Doric Nimrod.

To realise the capital owed the aircraft has to have an ultimate resale value. So the type of plane bought is an important factor when weighing up any investment decision. If you don't understand the business walk away.
  • jamesd
    edited 30 April 2015 at 11:31PM
    TheTracker wrote: »
    How much did you invest?
    An appropriate amount for my circumstances, bearing in mind the context I gave in the first post in this topic. Members of the site who are logged in can see the full list of bidders and amounts. If you happen to recognise me there you can see the amount.

I hope to invest around 10-15% of my money there over the next twelve months or so, though unlikely to ever be more than £1k per deal. That's too much for anyone without a high risk tolerance, where a maximum of 5% would be a better idea. That depends on getting a suitable SIPP deal to use for it though.

That's part of an intent to have 25-40% or so in P2P in the same timespan because I've taken the view that the bull market is a bit long in the tooth and bonds aren't great diversifiers given their state at the moment. So I want equity-like returns but with low equity correlation. I can get that from some P2P.

Too much for most people but I'll be comfortable with it.
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Company concerned is Doric Nimrod.

To realise the capital owed the aircraft has to have an ultimate resale value. So the type of plane bought is an important factor when weighing up any investment decision. If you don't understand the business walk away.
    Thanks, agreed.

There are plenty of interesting investment options around at the moment, no need at all for someone to do something they are uncomfortable with.
  • jamesd
    edited 5 May 2015 at 11:19AM
    £254,500 now with 0 days to go. Anyone who wants to get in before the institutional lenders take the rest needs to do it before business starts on Tuesday. 144 different lenders.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure