Thinking about a Halogen oven

Options
After hearing an article on the radio about Halogen ovens being great at saving energy and time, I am tempted but don't want to buy the wrong one or end up with it sitting on the worktop. Our house is all electric and at the moment use a microwave for odd warm-ups, the main fan oven of our cooker when needed and got a single ring gas camping stove for everything else. oh yes, and the trusty slow cooker.
I believe that almost anything can be cooked in a Halogen oven apart from slow cooker recipes, including chips. Really?
Would really love some feedback from those of you who are using one and which is the best model to go for should I decide to splash out on one? Thanks in advance for any help given :-)
Birthdays are good for you.... the more you have - the longer you live. :j

Comments

• so_very_confused
    Options
    I have only recently bought a halogan oven so still very much a novice and I am sure there will be experts along later. I love my halogan would not now do without it. Rarely use the microwave except for soups and beans. I cannot advise on model, mine developed a fault on the lid within three months, could send it back for replacement but this will take 28 days frankly I'm not prepared to do without it that long. Little ingenuity sorted out lid problem. Try searching on Old Fashioned money saing as I am sure there is a thread on there.
    SCP # 034
    The £1000 emergency fund #59
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've had a halogen oven for nearly 2 years now. My mum bought me one as a Christmas gift.

It works well- I can't fit an oven or stove into my miniscule kitchen so aside from the microwave, this has been my newest addition to cooking things since I got (and stopped using) a steamer about 13 years ago.
    I think the halogen oven works well, can't fault it for simplicity and most look like the same sort of thing; 2 dials. one for temperature, one for time. You just guess the correct setting for each and can watch whilst it cooks.

Only a few downsides:
    This thing needs space. I have so far melted many nearby objects. Everything from a nearby plastic container to a cleaning cloth becoming disintegrated.

The top needs a stand for when you need to put it aside, in many ovens this does not come with the oven so look for places like Lakeland and so on for a stand (I think I got mine on ebay or Amazon or something- they're not hard to get hold of but it's irritating to find you need one and can't use the oven until you have one delivered).

The oven base itself is very easy to clean. Mine even fits into a table-top dishwasher but otherwise just leave in a sink filled with soapy water overnight and it's done. But the lid, is another matter. Very easy to pick up dirt, near impossible to clean. I wish there was a way, to my best efforts so far I have not found one.

The oven when in use has a slight suction effect which can mean anything light such as un-pinned down tin foil will float to the top of the oven and block the heat from moving through the oven.
    Keep an eye on your cooking because you live and learn what works with this one.

Otherwise a decent way to cook things if you can't afford an oven or don't have space for an oven. Just don't buy one thinking it's that much easier to clean than an oven!
  • tealady
    tealady Posts: 3,742 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I have one and I love it. The only downside for me is it is at the opposite end to my sink and the glass pot is very heavy to carry so I tend to take the water to the pot and clean it in situ.
    IMO the best thing I have ever bought.
    Find out who you are and do that on purpose (thanks to Owain Wyn Jones quoting Dolly Parton)
  • burnsguitarman
    Options
    Halogen oven is brill, we got a large size one from Costco, extra racks and extension. Last week, Our Actifry stopped working so was looking for a replacement. Aldi had a multi cooker for £69, it's kind of a cross between an Actifry, (air fryer) and an Halogen oven it has all the same racks and extender as my Halogen and is just as good. Very versatile and will make my halogen oven practically redundant now.
  • whippetman_2
    Options
    Love my halogen. Got it from Aldi for about £35. I just use a glass counter saver rather than a stand.

Best roast chicken ever. Upside down for 20 mins then turn over for another 40.

Matt
  • Traceydolphins
    Options
    We love our halogen, it cam from Coopers of Stortford with a load of accessories for about £50 i think it was. Have cooked a great deal many things in it, chips, wedges, pies, roasts etc the only things so far I have not had luck in cooking is casseroles and using it to bake cakes (the manufacturer says it can bake but I can figure it out)
  • consultant31
    Options
    I love my halogen oven too. It will cook anything you can cook in an oven, using the same electric temperatures as you get in any recipe. Cooking is quicker though, probably because the space is small to get up to full temp (unlike the 15 minutes or so you need to have a full size oven on before cooking). As for cleaning, it's a doddle. Hslf fill with warm water and a couple of drops of Fairy liquid, put the lid on and switch it on for 5 mins or so - it cleans itself!

They seem to be available everywhere now at around £40 - £50. Well worth the money IMO :)
    I let my mind wander and it never came back!
  • imho
    imho Posts: 2,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I do use mine a lot but i cant use it for Pies,Pizza Cakes etc as it only cooks the top of foods.I always use the extending bracket for cooking Chicken and it cooks that great as you can turn over a Chicken and great for roast potatoes but no way any one could use a Halogen oven and not have a proper oven installed.
    I have used halogen ovens for over 4 years and am on my 3rd model which has lasted so much longer then the Robert Dyas own make model.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure