Quooker

Has anyone installed their own Quooker hot water tap? A google search brings up lots of companies which sell the kits at various prices. I would be interested to hear any experiences.

Thank you
anneliza

Comments

• Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    I have not followed fashion here, and have not used a Quooker. My question is are they safe?

If I built a children's nursery or elderly persons home I would not be allowed to fit radiators. Too dangerous, should somebody touch them. Let us say a temperature of 60 centigrade. Under floor heating would be fitted. Yet people accept a Quooker.

If I viewed hot water pipes to basins and baths in Housing Association/ elderly persons etc houses I would be looking for temperature control/mixing valves. People cannot be at risk from hot or scalding water, be it bathing or washing their hands. Yet people accept a Quooker.

Then there is the cost of purchasing and fitting a Quooker. What about scale? What is the cost and availability of spare parts? What is the life expectancy? What happens to the "dream kitchen" when it fails?

Was the invention of the electric kettle a mistake? Or is the Quooker the solution to the problem that never existed?
  • ryder72
    ryder72 Posts: 1,014
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite

Has anyone installed their own Quooker hot water tap? A google search brings up lots of companies which sell the kits at various prices. I would be interested to hear any experiences.

Quooker is an excellent product and very reliable too.

Get it installed by someone who knows what they are doing.
    A plumber would typically charge about £100 to fit on assuming that the hole in the worktop is easy to do.

Response to Furts.
    ---I have not followed fashion here, and have not used a Quooker. My question is are they safe?
    You are entitled to your opinion. They are safe provided you dont do anything stupid with it. On that basis, nothing is safe. For instance a kitchen knife can kill yet every house has several.

----If I built a children's nursery or elderly persons home I would not be allowed to fit radiators. Too dangerous, should somebody touch them. Let us say a temperature of 60 centigrade. Under floor heating would be fitted. Yet people accept a Quooker.
    You aren't comparing like for like. Is your house a nursery or an elderly persons home. If people living in your house are responsible and they shown how to use it, its very safe. If you think you will have visitors who are likely to use it to wash their faces or bathe under a Quooker tap, its not. One has to work on the assumption that when someone sees/hears water steaming out of a tap and making a gushing noise, they would be responsible enough to react accordingly.

----Then there is the cost of purchasing and fitting a Quooker. What about scale? What is the cost and availability of spare parts? What is the life expectancy? What happens to the "dream kitchen" when it fails?
    All luxury goods cost more than ordinary goods and everything has a lifespan, even luxury goods. That is no reason why they shouldn't exist or be purchased.

---Was the invention of the electric kettle a mistake? Or is the Quooker the solution to the problem that never existed?
    Was the invention of the toaster a mistake? Was the iPhone a mistake? The Stone Age didn't end because they ran out of stones. Quite simply Bronze was a better substitute.

So to summarise - they may be products and services you dont like or agree with and that doesnt make they bad or stupid. If you are going to raise questions, atleast make sure they are reasonably valid.
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • pookiewn
    pookiewn Posts: 471
    Forumite
    Quooker have free installation when you buy one, I'd let them do the hard work for you! Probably safer to retain guarantees etc.
    Fantastic inventions, still on the wish list :)
    "Live each day as if it were your last and garden as though you will live forever"
    Anonymous
  • southcoastrgi
    southcoastrgi Posts: 6,298
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    i can see it being useful in a commercial situation like a cafe, but if you work it out how much boiling water do you really use in a normal home ? so IMO i think it's a very expensive ornament that won't get used very often
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
  • cddc
    cddc Posts: 1,164
    Forumite
    They do seem to have a good reputation for reliability as far as I am aware. But I do wonder how long they will last in a hard water area. Kettles do not have a long life round my way, so I would worry about spending the cost of 20 or more kettles on something that does the job a bit better!
  • Moomum
    Moomum Posts: 958 Forumite
    I have had one for a year and a half, wasn't interested at all but was thrown in as a freebie in kitchen , now I love it!! Is amazing to have boiling water ' on tap ' :-p
    Haven't had any problems at all with it, we are in a really hard water area and it hasn't caused a problem so far. Ours was installed by kitchen fitter who happens to be my brother and he had no problems. Our silestone work top had to be cut professionally though. HTH
  • keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    I think they are an expensive gimmick to be honest.

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • Avoriaz
    Avoriaz Posts: 39,110 Forumite
    Do those of you who have Quookers leave them on 24/7 or do you turn them off at night, when you are out etc?

Do you have to remember to turn them off when you go away on holiday or for the weekend?

Are the fitted with timers?

I really can't see the advantage over a quick boil kettle. I put cold water in a kettle and it is usually boiling before I have sorted out the tea leaves, infuser, mug etc.
  • Kaz2904
    Kaz2904 Posts: 5,797
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    The thing which put me off getting one of these was that it has a tank of water which it always has at or near boiling point. I didn't see how this could cut my fuel bills.
    Debt: 16/04/2007:TOTAL DEBT [strike]£92727.75[/strike] £49395.47:eek: :eek: :eek: £43332.28 repaid 100.77% of £43000 target.
    MFiT T2: Debt [STRIKE]£52856.59[/STRIKE] £6316.14 £46540.45 repaid 101.17% of £46000 target.
    2013 Target: completely clear my [STRIKE]£6316.14[/STRIKE] £0 mortgage debt. £6316.14 100% repaid.
  • ryder72
    ryder72 Posts: 1,014
    Forumite
    I must admit that I dont work for Quooker. I sell them and I love the product. I have one at home and one in the showroom.

I am not going to answer questions about the energy consumption as everything thats been asked is available on their website to read.

cddc - regards the scale. I live near MK, a very hard water area. You can install an inline filter to reduce the scale going into the tank. I haven't done this. Since the water is always at boiling temp in the tank, the scale simply falls away to the base of the tank rather than adhere to the heating coil. The tank requires a service which quooker recommend every 5 years. They will do this for about £125 but its a 15 min DIY job with a couple of screwdrivers, and an adjustable spanner and a gasket kit they sell of about a tenner. It involves opening the tank, wiping the scale away and installing new gaskets. After 4 years of constant use at home, I removed about a small bowl full of scale and its good as new. So its not a big problem and unlike kettles, these tanks dont fail after 2-3 years of use.
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure