We've made some changed to Competitions Time. Please see this thread.

PLEASE READ - Posts by the MSE Team and BG's - merged

Comments

• fire**fly
    fire**fly Posts: 147,800
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    lilias wrote: »
    Well, in the stickie Divadee says

"A lot of threads being posted are duplicates of other threads. Please can people use the search facility. A userguide to the search facility is above in this thread.

As the search facility can be hit and miss if you do spot a duplicate please can you pm the link of the original and duplicate(s) threads and the board guides can merge them together.

This is not just to keep the boards tidy, but some comps if you enter more than once you disqualify yourself.

Please can you only pm them to one board guide this saves time for board guides when going through the merge requests.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=6604602&postcount=3

hiya :) yes, &
    in the comping guide it says

# 5
    VelvetGlove
    post_old.gif 04-07-2008, 8:56 PM

If you click a BG name, it will take you to their profile page,
    over on the right is the 'Contact Info' & you should see a link to 'Send a private message to xxxx'

If you click that, a Private Message (PM) box will display & then all you need to do is put a title (eg Merge Request Please), then tell the BG what the Original Thread URL & the Dupe Thread URL is. (Highlight the URL of a thread in the bar at the top of the browser screen & right click > copy. Then click your mouse back into the PM box & right click > paste). You can ‘Preview Message’ to see how it will look, if you want, before you click to ‘Submit message’.

Please also post on the duplicate comp thread that it is a dupe, include a link to the original thread & if you mention that you have sent a merge request to whichever BG you sent it to, then that will save others doing exactly the same thing & bombarding the poor BGs with multiple requests for the same thing.

it's very confusing at the moment :o
    please be a responsible pet owner & spay/neuter your pets, too many strays & not enough homes for them sadly. k2u58ioz4c8e.png

• OnceUponADream
    OnceUponADream Posts: 16,047 Forumite
    weeowens wrote: »
    Hi,Tea Pea Dee

I was much of the same opinion re not sending merge pms to the BG team as I found it all a bit confusing with the mixed messages from various people.Plus I'll admit that I was fearful of making a hash of sending to multiple BG's as asked.
    I've now thought about it & will just bend with the MSE admin wind for a bit as I just feel that to do cease any sending of merge messages may not be fair on the less experienced members on here.
    I mean no offence to anyone but maybe together we can just pull together for a few days until we get this sorted either way.

I've only sent two since this was posted and I sent to all three BG's explaining in the PM that I had sent to all of them.

The final decision will have to come from the BG's as they are the ones who deal with the 'workload'.....it makes no difference to me typing an extra two names into the box.
    The shinbone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.
    :TBig thanks to all competition posters:T
  • Tea_Pea_Dee
    Tea_Pea_Dee Posts: 3,978
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I've only sent two since this was posted and I sent to all three BG's explaining in the PM that I had sent to all of them.

The final decision will have to come from the BG's as they are the ones who deal with the 'workload'.....it makes no difference to me typing an extra two names into the box.

UOAD it makes no difference to me how many names I type on a PM, I am a touch typist, so could type 100 names in the time it takes a one-fingered typist to type 1 name ;) My point is that it is not fair on the BGs, not the posters. My tools are lying in the corner collecting dust atm until MS Andrea reports back :)

Respect for ourselves guides our morals, respect for others guides our manners~Laurence Sterne
    All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others~George Orwell
  • Dalkirst
    Dalkirst Posts: 9,210
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I am already opening PM's that have already been merged:rotfl:
    Darren
  • OnceUponADream
    OnceUponADream Posts: 16,047 Forumite
    UOAD it makes no difference to me how many names I type on a PM, I am a touch typist, so could type 100 names in the time it takes a one-fingered typist to type 1 name ;) My point is that it is not fair on the BGs, not the posters. My tools are lying in the corner collecting dust atm until MS Andrea reports back :)

I did question the amount of work it would create y'day for the BG's, however my point is that I have continued to request merges instead of ignoring them and have done so as Andrea has suggested.

I do think the 'old' system is best. however not being a touch typist I'm unsure how i'll cope if we need to type three names in one go;)
    The shinbone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.
    :TBig thanks to all competition posters:T
  • Daphne01
    Daphne01 Posts: 22,145
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Dalkirst wrote: »

That's the reason I'm sticking to the one merge one BG rule at the mo. It's ridiculous :/
    A strong man stands up for himself, a stronger man stands up for others.

• Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,858
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Senior Ambassador
    Dalkirst wrote: »

sorry :o

I had a few already done too, being the weekend we've probably been online a few times, and also only a few posters are doing the 'send to all BGs'

imagine a weekday evening, first one on will have double the amount to do, and last on will have dozens of pm's to check, all of which will already have been merged :(
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Well, there's no logic in sending a PM to all three BGs ... I'll stick to the usual way ...

Hope you get it sorted to your satisfaction.
  • CraSiEla
    CraSiEla Posts: 4,932
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    ER... I always thought we are here to save money!!!

It makes sense to send ONE pm to ONE BG only for ONE merge. :money:

This would save the resources of MSE.

I'm sure the guys in MSE towers don't want us to send a merge to three different people - using all these resources for one merge, it just doesn't make money sense.

Not sure what I'll do yet, if I see something which needs merging - (think I'll go back to being 24-36 hours behind in comping.)

Glad has said it all
    Glad wrote: »
    imagine a weekday evening, first one on will have double the amount to do, and last on will have dozens of pm's to check, all of which will already have been merged :(

Good luck getting it sorted to your satisfaction BG's :)
    ASK A WOMAN HOW SHE FEELS
    AND SHE'LL OPEN HER HEART AND TELL YOU HER

FEARS, HOPES AND DREAMS
    ASK A MAN WHAT HE FEELS AND HE'LL TELL YOU
    HE FEELS LIKE A
    PIZZA
  • Former_MSE_Andrea
    Former_MSE_Andrea Posts: 9,614
    Combo Breaker First Post I've helped Parliament Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    edited 15 October 2012 at 8:35AM
    Hi everyone

Sorry, this wasn't meant to cause confusion.

We had reports of people grumbling that merge requests weren't being done and when we looked there was indeed criticism of one BG in particular for not having merged some threads (now removed as it's obviously not appropriate).

We definitely don't want to make BGs' lives harder and we weren't aware people didn't do this as standard.

The idea of a special Merges sticky is a great one. Whatever helps keep the board running smoothly and makes BGs' lives easier is fine. I'll leave that up to the board guides to sort if they agree.

Have a good day :)
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories