Digital Freeview boxes for under £22

Comments

• smurf_2
    smurf_2 Posts: 18 Forumite
    mrsyorkie wrote:
    I know i'm being thick, but can i plug a freeview box into a portable telly, or does it have to be through the main aerial? We have sky free to view downstairs and we want a freeview box for upstairs in the bedroom but there is no outside aerial point. Do we need one?

I installed a freeview box last night on the TV in my bedroom which does not have an connection to the roof mounted aerial. I used an old portable aerial which was purchased from Woolworths a few years ago and it picked up all of the freeview channels just fine and the reception is a lot better than if i was using it as a standard analogue aerial in my TV.
  • Freesat via Sky does NOT give you E4 or More 4 - be aware!!!
  • smurf wrote:
    I installed a freeview box last night on the TV in my bedroom which does not have an connection to the roof mounted aerial. I used an old portable aerial which was purchased from Woolworths a few years ago and it picked up all of the freeview channels just fine and the reception is a lot better than if i was using it as a standard analogue aerial in my TV.
    Thanks i was just wondering that myself!
  • mrsyorkie
    mrsyorkie Posts: 998 Forumite
    First Post
    Thanks Smurf :D

Did you just plug one end of the aerial into the box and the other into the telly?
  • mrsyorkie
    mrsyorkie Posts: 998 Forumite
    First Post
    ETA:

Sorry for the double post.

Ooh, and sorry for the post above this one - just realised what i had written! Having one of those days...
  • Newbie here! On a connected topic: I have a freeview box but have trouble getting all the ITV channels, Channel 4 etc. I have been told by an aerial installation engineer that i need a new aerial which will cost £100 and possibly new cabling too. Am I being ripped off or is there an easier, cheaper solution?
    Thanks
    Kate
  • BexTech
    BexTech Posts: 4,772 Forumite
    It is best (if you want to record Freeview channels) to get a box with two scart sockets. This way you can watch analogue TV and record Freeview if you wish. This also means you can have both a VCR and Freeview box on one scart socket of the TV. Same as you can with a Satellite or cable box.

You connect VCR to Digital box VCR scart socket and then the digital box TV scart socket to the TV.

As I know many people wrongly wire up their system and have VCR and Freeview (or Sky or cable) box on two separate TV scart sockets, thus taking up a socket they don't need to.

Using SCART with any device (VCR/Freeview/Sky/Cable) will give you stereo sound on a stereo TV and pro-logic version of surround sound on a pro-logic enabled TV.

Again many people use RF out for viewing VCR/Digital box and this means lower picture quality and mono sound on the TV, even if the programme and TV is stereo.

Only the higher end Freeview boxes now have RF out, most are just RF loop through, so it can pull out the digital info from the analogue signal and then pass through the incoming aerial signal for the analogue channels to the TV etc.

Some people may have old TVs that only have RF input, so for those you will need a box with modulated RF out, but you need to remember the picture and sound won't be as good.
    It's PAC not PAC Code, it's MAC not MAC Code, it's PIN not PIN Number, it's ATM not ATM Machine, it's LCD not LCD Display, it's DVD not DVD disc... It's no one not noone, It's a lot not alot, It's got not gotten... Panini is the plural of panino - there is no S!!
    (OK my English isn't great, the sciences, maths & IT are my strong points!)
  • BexTech
    BexTech Posts: 4,772 Forumite
    Newbie here! On a connected topic: I have a freeview box but have trouble getting all the ITV channels, Channel 4 etc. I have been told by an aerial installation engineer that i need a new aerial which will cost £100 and possibly new cabling too. Am I being ripped off or is there an easier, cheaper solution?
    Thanks
    Kate

Although the channels are digital, they are still transmitted through an analogue wave form.

Each set of channels are transmitted in a group in the space of one analogue channel. The group of channels are called a multiplex (MUX for short).

http://www.dtg.org.uk/retailer/dtt_channels.html

The above link lists the channels available on each MUX.

If there is a problem with reception, such as location, aerial or cable then you will be missing the whole group of the channels in the MUX, not just one or two in the MUX.

If you are missing one or two in the MUX then the problem is the Freeview box, may just be a case of deleting all the channels and rescanning.

If your location can get all the muxes available and you aren't, then a new aerial and cabling could be the answer. Just don't be fobbed off with "You need a digital aerial", there is no such thing.
    It's PAC not PAC Code, it's MAC not MAC Code, it's PIN not PIN Number, it's ATM not ATM Machine, it's LCD not LCD Display, it's DVD not DVD disc... It's no one not noone, It's a lot not alot, It's got not gotten... Panini is the plural of panino - there is no S!!
    (OK my English isn't great, the sciences, maths & IT are my strong points!)
  • pjbuk007 wrote:
    Please note that Freeview coverage checking sites can be wrong!!

The one linked to in the post says we CAN get freeview, but many of the others say we cannot, including the one they use in John Lewis.

In fact we discovered last year that our neighbours had been using a freeview box for years. We bought a cheap ALBA one which lost the signal, then got Sony boxand have had freeview no probs for 8 months!

We had the telly bloke around for another reason and to check aerial, and we have superb reception on all channels! Therefor did not need aerial adjusting.

I strongly suggest that if the postcode checker says "No", you borrow a box and try. I also think this should be more widely publicised as we there may be many others who think they cannot get freeview.

Very true but an even easier solution is to visit what used to be " Dixons " our local one at Ilkeston in derbyshire offered to supply a box appx £20 and should the reception not be good exchange it for other brands until effective one found " WARNING DO NOT PAY FOR EXPENSIVE WIDE BAND AERIAL INSTALLATIONS " try different boxes 1st
  • The_JinJ
    The_JinJ Posts: 468 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Woolworths have a Technosonic STB 2099 for £24 - good wee basic box - menu systems are quite good with 7 day epg etc
    Neil
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport