Opinions on fire baskets

Hi, just had my parkray taken out and gas installed, so am looking to fill the big gap where it was and was thinking of a fire basket. What are peoples thoughts and experiences of these? I suspect of course they are much less "efficient" than a fireback and certainly a stove but will they actually heat a big room (two rooms knocked into one in a terrace)? Have seen one 2nd hand at 15.5 inch by 11 inch and am tempted to buy it, or could get a monster 21 inch across one at 12inch depth, but am hesitant, tho I love fire, as it will cost a bomb in wood.

Comments

• How tall is your opening/, above 20 inches and its unlikely to pull very well.

The efficiency of an open fire such as you are contemplating is around 25% when its running. A stove would give you at least 65%. At 6am your central heating cuts in, heat is then lost up the chimney when an open fire is sitting there.

A
  • I can get wood for free. Define efficiency. 25% of free fuel = no cost to me.

What I want to know is do you feel the heat kicking off these things?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    i have an open fire and it does kick out heat,i dont have the radiator on in the lounge as it gets to hot,wood cost about £150-200 a year and run it from late Oct - april from 4oclock pm till 9 pm sometimes more sometimes less
  • could get a monster 21 inch across one at 12inch depth, but am hesitant, tho I love fire, as it will cost a bomb in wood.

I can get wood for free.

???? So which one is it?!
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If you are burning wood, you don't really need a basket so you could try it and see.

Our sitting room fire has no basket although it does have a reredos. It warms the room enough for the radiators to shut off.
  • Ok, I put an 18 inch basket in last night. Unfortunately I only have a 6 inch clay flue, and not the 8 inch minimum, que piles of smoke into room when it got going, and a fairly large heat.

I have closed the opening tonight to 21 inch from around 29, but am still getting a small amount of smoke at start on light up, which I presume is down to cold flue, to a smoky smell in living room. Have put out the co detector but it says it isn't going off.

Any recommendations? Fire is beautiful with a nice heat, and I don't want to go back to a stove. I have gas in now and thermostat in hall is at 18 but it hasn't come on, so I assume fire is heating there too through the door.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure