MSE News: Are you an Erudio student loan holder? We want your feedback

Comments

• zombi
    zombi Posts: 46 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 7 November 2014 at 11:55AM
    Unwittingly earlier this year I fully filled out Erudios form and was able to defer for another year, this after they stole a months loan repayments from me (and then paid them back)

Since that I have cancelled the DD with them with my bank.

I do hope in doing so I have not changed or unknowingly agreed to change the terms of the original SLC loan.

Me too! Although only two of my 3 loans were sold to Erudio. I never received any information from SLC or Erudio to tell me this.

My first knowledge of Erudio having bought 2 of my loans was when they took 2 payments from me and I received a letter admitting to having taken one (lucky I noticed the shortfall in my bank account for a second month). They only refunded the one payment after promising both, so I had to get the bank to do a Direct Debit Indemnity claimback to get the second refunded. I too have cancelled my direct debit, which stood for years unmolested by the SLC. Erudio also sent me a statement saying they'd charged the wrong interest several times with some unintelligible explanation as to why - Can I now hold them in default? Guess not....

I now have the same concerns as you Daswalkerdas
    meh...
  • You have all been miss-sold a loan basically.
    You were told " This is a safe loan because it is with the government" and "It won't effect you getting a mortgage" and the loan was promoted to you when you were minors.
    It doesn't matter that the terms and conditions say the loan could be sold on because this was never explained to you, also the promotion of the loans said the exact opposite.

The question needs to be asked is if these miss-sold loans need to be all cancelled?

Also , current student loans.
    How can on one hand the promotion of the loans be about them being safe government loans yet they are trying to flog them off.
    They are miss-selling the loans even now!!!
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    edited 7 November 2014 at 5:31PM
    fermi wrote: »
    All correct as far as I can tell.

Erudio's claim that is is a legal and contractual requirement to keep a direct debt in place in deferment seems to be entirely false, and a deliberate attempt by them to misrepresent the legal position on this.

I would also add that Thesis Servicing have never insisted on having a DD in place. Nor SLC for that matter.

Only Erudio seem to be peddling this porky pie.

And the fact that when people complain they back down, is very telling.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • anna2007 wrote: »
    Yep, count me in too.

With the amount of time put in to complaints that so far haven't resolved any of our problems, this seems a small price to pay for a little payback!

Edit: We should probably move this over to the main Erudio thread to ask if others are interested, it might not be picked up here?

Another Edit: Just popped over to the main thread and erudioed's way ahead and already posted, doh! :)

Thought I had replied that I was in too..... clearly not though.

Please add me to the list AReeves :)
  • rmd_2
    rmd_2 Posts: 27 Forumite
    My wife applied to Erudio for deferment of her student loan. She declared the following monthly incomes:

£1,856.05 - income from her full time employment
    £68.10 - her 50% portion of Child Benefit
    £131.83 - Profit from rental income for the financial year to 5th April, 2014 (profit for the year of £1,582 divided by 12 months)

Total - £2,055.98 per month, which is below the deferment threshold of £2,227.25 per month.

As evidence, we provided a copy of her accounts for self employment, and a bank statement showing the Child Benefit payments. However, we have had a response saying that she does not qualify for deferment. We have responded, by outlining the above, and asking for a copy of their reasoning and calculations which brings the amount over the deferment threshold.

I can only assume that they have taken the gross rental income of £375 month in determining the monthly income figure, but from that a commission is paid to the managing agent, interest payments on the mortgage, insurance and other general expenses.

If erudio are taking the top line to be income, rather than bottom line, then a lot of self employed folk are going to be liable to pay back their loans, even though the physical cash may not be there.

Take my example - I am a business partner in a small business with a turnover of about £200,000. Once all the running costs are paid, the profit (which tax is payable on) is about £50,000, £25,000 between the two of us, which, for me is below the deferment threshold. If they apply the same logic as they have done with my wife's self employment income, they will take £100,000 as my income..........

Please correct me if I have got the wrong end of the stick, but I am not looking forward to my fight with them once deferment time comes up!

As an aside, we wrote to them on 3rd November, 2014, and again on 11th November with a 14 day warning, and still have not had a reply, so it will be formal complaint to them tomorrow night.
  • Erudio are a bunch of criminals.
    BIS did due diligence? People at BIS may have been bribed.
    I think David Wilnetts the ex-minister should be investigated for corruption too.
  • Lungboy
    Lungboy Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    So is anything happening with the feedback from this thread?
  • Lungboy wrote: »
    So is anything happening with the feedback from this thread?

I wonder if Erudio have "lost" all the feedback from MSE :rotfl:

@MSE Towers - are you hoping to have a response from Erudio by a certain date (& good luck to you if you are :D). Please keep us updated, thank you.
    And I find that looking back at you gives a better view, a better view...
  • I wonder if Erudio have "lost" all the feedback from MSE :rotfl:

Hahahaha :rotfl:

I love how we can see the humour in this mess. Keep it up everyone x
  • patanne
    patanne Posts: 1,286 Forumite
    Frankly I think they were all hoping that this would just go away as no-one has any idea what to do next. I wish that I could be of more support but basically all I can do is keep reading and hope that you all know that I wish that there was something I could do. I come from an age of free (although more limited) education.

I also understand that if you do not earn enough to be required to repay then you should not be expected to repay. It seems unfortunate that some people seem to see this as an actual debt. I wish you all a stress free (aren't I naive) deferral.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure