PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Comments

• I can get some of that Pastures.

The "commitment to distance" is more of a thing here than I've been used to - with the much more infrequent/sparse buses. That was an advantage I had previously - that there were various country-ish type walks nearby - but when I'd had enough it wouldnt be too far to go to get to a bus-stop (where I could just stand and wait for next bus - and it wouldnt take long before there was one). I do have to have different tactics here - like having a bus timetable with me and a fallback position of "If worst comes to worst and my feet have had it + no bus nearby for some time/if ever = phone a friend or local taxi service to come and 'rescue me' ".

Outdoor wear - that is more of a problem. I've recently bought both a raincoat and coat in charity shops - but they are more problematic to get there than other clothes (difficult to find ones that arent 'old person' style I find) and I've never yet seen any of those outdoor waterproof jackets there on the rails. Will have to put thinking cap on re that.

Footwear - I have bought a pair of trainers in a cheapie shop since moving here - and am surprised to find they are actually lasting pretty well - despite only costing £25.

Wind - I hear you. I'm not used to wind - and there's lots of it here. It's frequent and quite often gale force. I don't know the answer to that one I must admit. I land up getting windblown in the more "normal" level winds here and avoiding the gale force ones if I possibly can. That one is a difficulty....and the only constructive thing I've been able to think of to deal with it is that I've bought a mega-strength umbrella that says it can handle winds of up to ?60mph?. I sympathise - as I really don't know what to do about wind either.

Dog-walkers leaving poo around is also a nuisance thing - having to watch out they havent left it sitting around for the rest of us to inadvertently step into. No way of dealing with those other people that have an Idiot Gene in that respect that I can think of either...
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,084 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Morning everyone
    Decidedly wintery again here this morning and temperature due to hit freezing tonight:(

My son looked me out some pots and a bucket of compost so over the next few days I'll get some seeds planted and on to my conservatory window ledges and just hope there is enough light and warmth to sprout them:)

Didn't eat all my lamb last night so there is just enough left to slice thinly for a sandwich at lunchtime. Not sure about tonight I've a half notion for spaghetti and meatballs but unsure if I cba making a tomato sauce, if not I might just do "something" with the couple of big flat mushrooms lurking in the fridge.:) I wish I had some halloumi but don't or it would be getting griddled with one of said mushrooms and slapped in a roll.......
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Was hoping for some gardening weather but not to be today its dissing down. Did get 5 pots of potatoes done yesterday and noticed today 5 of the 10 red robin tomato seeds I put it are sprouting. I love these as can be grown inside on windowsill, only get about 2ft tall and loads of cherry tomatoes. Have used the last of my 4p Christmas eve cabbages which is sad lol.
    Slimming World at target
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Decided to have a belly filling breakfast of 2x toast, 2 scrambled eggs, beans and HP ... that leaves one small crust of bread in the freezer, one egg in the box, but I did use up the half a tin of beans that were in the fridge.

:)

No idea about lunch .... my breakfast was lovely so I won't be thinking about food for hours.

I do still have a whole swede lurking in the kitchen that's starting to look a little dated.... I need to do something with that, so that'll probably end up as mashed swede ... with some mashed potato and gravy .... but what else to go with that? A pie is most logical, but I've had a lot of pies recently so shouldn't.
  • caronc
    meg72 wrote: »
    Was hoping for some gardening weather but not to be today its dissing down. Did get 5 pots of potatoes done yesterday and noticed today 5 of the 10 red robin tomato seeds I put it are sprouting. I love these as can be grown inside on windowsill, only get about 2ft tall and loads of cherry tomatoes. Have used the last of my 4p Christmas eve cabbages which is sad lol.
    I grow cherry tomatoes in hanging baskets and they do really well. One I like for inside is megabyte it grows to about 3 feet and the fruits are medium sized - for a bush type it's quite tidy :)
    Decided to have a belly filling breakfast of 2x toast, 2 scrambled eggs, beans and HP ... that leaves one small crust of bread in the freezer, one egg in the box, but I did use up the half a tin of beans that were in the fridge.

:)

No idea about lunch .... my breakfast was lovely so I won't be thinking about food for hours.

I do still have a whole swede lurking in the kitchen that's starting to look a little dated.... I need to do something with that, so that'll probably end up as mashed swede ... with some mashed potato and gravy .... but what else to go with that? A pie is most logical, but I've had a lot of pies recently so shouldn't.
    Sausages ;)
  • PasturesNew
    caronc wrote: »
    Sausages ;)

You're right, but I struggle with sausages.... I love them, but they're best done fried imho .... nice, juicy, fried sausages. Except I can't use the hob. So oven-baked ... except they can be a bit "spitty" in the mini oven; I could cover them and just finish them off uncovered to brown .... but I hate the idea of hot fat hitting the grill elements - and the impossibility of then cleaning those, which might make the elements smoke (setting off the alarm), or even spark/catch fire...

I do buy some ready cooked ones sometimes.

I really need to work on a solar oven outside in the garden this summer, just for sausages (yes, it's on the list as a plan). I'm also working on a mini bbq, using an old pie tin :)
  • Large flat mushrooms = that could be something like garlicy soft cheese + few chopped nuts + few breadcrumbs used as filler and whacked into oven for 20 minutes or so??

Maybe a few tomatoes put in another casserole dish in the oven and roasted at the same time to serve with them?
  • caronc
    You're right, but I struggle with sausages.... I love them, but they're best done fried imho .... nice, juicy, fried sausages. Except I can't use the hob. So oven-baked ... except they can be a bit "spitty" in the mini oven; I could cover them and just finish them off uncovered to brown .... but I hate the idea of hot fat hitting the grill elements - and the impossibility of then cleaning those, which might make the elements smoke (setting off the alarm), or even spark/catch fire...

I do buy some ready cooked ones sometimes.

I really need to work on a solar oven outside in the garden this summer, just for sausages (yes, it's on the list as a plan). I'm also working on a mini bbq, using an old pie tin :)
    You can cook "fried" sausages in a slow cooker, just pop them in, pop on high, turn after 2 hours, reduce to low cook for around 3 hours:)
    I have one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/SPARES2GO-Outdoor-Portable-Barbecue-Festival/dp/B013C4XCOG/ref=sr_1_1?s=outdoors&ie=UTF8&qid=1490013275&sr=1-1&keywords=bucket+barbecue it's fab:)
  • caronc
    Large flat mushrooms = that could be something like garlicy soft cheese + few chopped nuts + few breadcrumbs used as filler and whacked into oven for 20 minutes or so??

Maybe a few tomatoes put in another casserole dish in the oven and roasted at the same time to serve with them?

That was what I was thinking along the lines of:D
  • PasturesNew
    caronc wrote: »
    You can cook "fried" sausages in a slow cooker, just pop them in, pop on high, turn after 2 hours, reduce to low cook for around 3 hours:)
    I have one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/SPARES2GO-Outdoor-Portable-Barbecue-Festival/dp/B013C4XCOG/ref=sr_1_1?s=outdoors&ie=UTF8&qid=1490013275&sr=1-1&keywords=bucket+barbecue it's fab:)

Yes, I've cooked some in the SC before ... it's irritating/boring waiting sometimes :)

BBQs are a problem here - generally I live in a wind tunnel, so it's not been possible to even SIT outside, never mind anything else, but I'm hoping that'll soon change as there's a new building going up and it's reduced the wind already ...

The trouble with BBQs is neighbours - on a tightly packed new build estate your next door neighbour's also got a 20x20' garden and are just 10' away from where you're smoking/stinking the place out if you buy one.

I've also got a gadget that would work .... not sure what you call it, like a George Foreman grill probably .... not got round to having the courage to plug it in yet; owned it 15 years, petrified of it. I HATE electrical goods in the main.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure