PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Comments

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I've been away for a while, visiting Liverpool on probate business, and the bit about the gold made me sit up. Can't do a linkie to a pic, but there was a plaque set into the wall of a bank that said:
    "In May 1940 when this country was threatened with invasion part of the nation's gold reserve was brought from London and lowered through the hatch [in the pavement at the base of the sign] for safe keeping in the vaults of Martins Bank".
    Presumably, if it looked like an invasion in the south of England was going to succeed, the gold could be shipped out of Liverpool to Canada.

Very sad to think that evacuee ships might have been used as cover for gold that *was* exported as payment - the gold standard didn't go bust till 1944, I think?
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,951 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    maryb wrote: »
    Tell me no-one has money in the Co-op that isn't covered by the compensation scheme

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/03/18/officials-draw-rescue-plan-co-op-bank/

Thank you for this. We have quite a chunk of our savings in the co-op and, though I knew there were issues, I hadnt done anything about it. It is well under the limit of the scheme but that would be time and effort before we saw it again. It is my priority this week to move the money elsewhere...
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 20 March 2017 at 8:48AM
    maryb wrote: »
    Tell me no-one has money in the Co-op that isn't covered by the compensation scheme

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/03/18/officials-draw-rescue-plan-co-op-bank/

I'll admit to being surprised anyone is still with the Co-op Bank. It's been in trouble for quite some time now. Quick calculation time - and I think it must have been about 5 years ago I transferred my bank account out of there "in case".

I've been wondering for some time whether I should investigate the Ecology Bank and Triodos more closely as a possibility to be with..
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,951 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    To think, for once, is to act.

New account opened elsewhere with plans to transfer funds tomorrow.

Thanks again...
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,119 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I've used Triodos in the past MTSM. Not with them at the moment as I've used the money paying to do the house up... It's covered by the Dutch deposit guarantee system as the UK bank is part of the Dutch bank. The only issue I had with them was that their online systems weren't great. But hopefully that has improved.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 20 March 2017 at 1:53PM
    greenbee wrote: »
    I've used Triodos in the past MTSM. Not with them at the moment as I've used the money paying to do the house up... It's covered by the Dutch deposit guarantee system as the UK bank is part of the Dutch bank. The only issue I had with them was that their online systems weren't great. But hopefully that has improved.

What's the Dutch deposit scheme like?

I imagine that it's much the same - or better...

I don't do online banking - so don't know if they would function for me? I manage both my savings (based in home city) and bank account (ditto) by getting to branches when I'm physically near them + phonecalls + post (if it comes to putting a cheque into my bank account and I won't be near a branch for a while).
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,119 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    What's the Dutch deposit scheme like?

I imagine that it's much the same - or better...

I don't do online banking - so don't know if they would function for me? I manage both my savings (based in home city) and bank account (ditto) by getting to branches when I'm physically near them + phonecalls + post (if it comes to putting a cheque into my bank account and I won't be near a branch for a while).

Sounds like you need to do some research then. Triodos don't have branches. Maybe start by finding out what banks have branches near you and then select from those.
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I had a very odd dream last night. I was escaping the UK in a small boat and transferring to a larger boat out in the Channel.

The main theme of the dream was that I did not have any Francs (I know) to use when I got to France. My UK cards were unable to be used there. Not sure if that was due to me being a fugitive, or some other reason.

In view of this I am considering keeping hold of some Euros for SHTF.

Any thoughts?
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Good thinking jk0, but maybe it means other currencies in general or even other things besides money? Like gold?
    Personally I would never, ever, ever consider having money in an online-only bank. Watching the Iceland carryon proved me right on that one.Reading all the forums full of desperate people trying to transfer money around.. awful!
  • jk0 wrote: »
    In view of this I am considering keeping hold of some Euros for SHTF.

Any thoughts?

Might be worth keeping a few hundred, but I wouldn't go mad with it.

It's dead money, and there's no way of knowing what will happen to its value (if it plunges in value, you could lose a lot of the pounds you originally paid for it), and the Euro could collapse at any moment, leaving you with a huge wad of worthless paper.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure