[TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM] "Shopper Discount & Rewards"

Options

Comments

• jak
    jak Posts: 2,027 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Watch out for national express also. I just called to cancel my £8 charge. I was very upset but they said they'd refund the charge within 10 working days so we'll see.x
    2022 Comp total (prizes + free spins): £494.81 #20 £12 a day Jan: £382.95/£372 #57 360 1p challenge: £17.70 £10 a day Feb: £571.09/£280 March: £311.96/£310
  • elvis_girl
    elvis_girl Posts: 244 Forumite
    edited 9 December 2013 at 3:44PM
    Options
    The fact that they gave me back my money without question [TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM]
    I think we should name & shame the companies concerned which so far includes Easyjet, Interflora, Allposters & Vistaprints.
  • broke_mum_of_three
    Options
    Help I have just noticed the £8 charge but unfortunately I have deleted any emails from them and the office is closed, any advice!?!

It was Easyjet that they got me from!
    Live on a little over £4k challenge
    Sealed pot challenge no. 315
  • so2006
    so2006 Posts: 638 Forumite
    edited 9 December 2013 at 3:45PM
    Options
    I cant beleive an airline would give details like that! I mean come, on if i owned it, if the ticket was £10 to £1,000,000 I would still not sign them up [TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM]
  • cantaymus
    cantaymus Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    Here's the text of an email I've just sent to ctshirts.co.uk.

"In January I ordered some clothing from you. I have been an occasional customer over some years from various addresses, but, because of something which has happened, I may not be in future.

In February and again in March a company called Shopper Discounts and Rewards, P.O. Box 454, St Albans AL4 0YE, has debited £8:00 from my credit card. It appears, on researching their website, that I am said to have signed up to this monthly debit at some point and am now a "member". I would not knowingly have done so and, so far as I am concerned, I have not. I have certainly not knowingly authorised the £8:00 monthly debit from my credit card account.

On enquiry it appears that the so called "password" for my "account" with Shopper Discount and Rewards is a word which is clearly associated with your company. (You can understand that I'm reluctant to set it out in an email). However it is clearly identified with you and is similar to, but not identical to, the password I have used for logging in to your website. Equally clearly to me it is not a password I would ever have used for logging into a so called cash back site like Shopper Discounts and Rewards had I been minded to set up an account with them.

Can you explain how this may have happened? My suspicion is that, somehow, my details have been passed to Shopper Discounts and Rewards by you."
  • cantaymus
    Options
    Here is a reply from CT Shirts (Charles Tyrwhitt).

"I am alarmed to hear that a company has charged you without your
    authorisation. I would advise you contact you credit card issuer and claim
    back the charges immediatly if this is the case.

The Charles Tyrwhitt website trialled a link with the company called
    Shopper Discounts and Rewards, which appeared in the form of a pop up on
    the website promoting a £10 discount off your next order at Charles
    Tyrwhitt. This pop up was through the company Shoppers Discounts and
    Rewards, however this partnership with that company was ceased as we did
    not believe the offer was as clear as it should have been, coupled with
    complaints from our customers.

Please be assured that Charles Tyrwhitt would never allow your credit card
    details to be passed onto a third party, no matter if we were in
    partnership with the company or obviously not if we had never encountered
    them before. My feeling is you may have signed up because of the promotion,
    without realising that you were signing up with the company Shoppers
    Discounts and Rewards. If this is not the case then I advise you to claim
    back any unlawful debits they have made from your account, however if this
    is the case then i find it extremely curious at how they arrived at your
    personal details.

I really must apologise for the inconvenience caused and I really do hope
    we can be of service again in the future.

I hope I have cleared up the issue for you.

If I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best regards

Irfan Dadabhai"
  • cantaymus
    Options
    And here is my response.

"Thank you for your prompt reply. I'm afraid that, although it explains things to an extent it really doesn't go far enough. I would never have knowingly signed up to a site such as Shopper Discounts and Rewards. I particularly would not knowingly have signed up on the basis that they could charge me £8:00 per month, essentially for nothing. I may well have clicked on something on your site which led to this situation and no doubt there was something about the terms buried in a plethora of small print. But that is hardly open, transparent and fair in my view.

As I said in my original email to you, my "password" in my so called "membership details" on the Shopper Discounts and Rewards site makes it plain that it has come from you. It is a version of your company name. It is not a password I would ever have used on a cash back site.
    I therefore hold your company responsible for this situation and shall be glad to hear from you what you intend to do about it. I am currently £16 out of pocket."
  • catiovi
    catiovi Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    My story is so similar...after I bought flights from Easy Jet in Jan/Feb/March (about 20 flights for my wedding), I discovered this charge £8/month for Shopping Discount and Rewards. I only realise that on the second month of charge. The problem is that they had my details, so I was the "member" (name, surname, address - I use them when I book the Easy Jet flights), but they were billing my husband credit card (which we use to pay for tickets) , without even care that are two differed names, two differed persons. After I call them they confirmed that our details come from Easy Jet. How dare them?
    After telling them that I'm gone seek help from Citizen Advice Bureau and newspapers, they promised a refund. I'm disgusted the way Easy Jet and Shopping Discounts and Rewards operates. We should really do something about it [TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM]
  • Sue_S
    Sue_S Posts: 302 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've just seen the £8 charge on my bank statement so I logged onto their website (had to ask for my password as I'd never logged on before!!!) and cancelled the membership. I then called them, said very angrily that I'd never agreed to this and they said immediately that the £8 would be refunded within 10 working days into the account it was taken from.

Is there anyone else we should complain to [TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM]
  • sjpkgp
    sjpkgp Posts: 920 Forumite
    edited 9 December 2013 at 3:47PM
    Options
    Same tale as the above for me. Interflora the culprit. I seem to remember a "get £10 off your next flower" voucher popping up, me pressing it, and not being completely happy, but like everyone else this was not something I conciously signed up to. Anyway, I phoned them on 0808-234 1539. You get ten minutes of pressing choices, where it tells you who sent your details and eventually you get to an option to speak to someone. The chap who answered sounded like he had had many similar calls, and after five minutes of resistance (you signed up for it, and we will cancel immediately) I got the response I nearly wanted which was we will cancel and refund your four payments, and will send you an email saying so. I did not get, however, the promise of a complete deletion of my account and all details, so I may be following this up with a Subject Access Request. [TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM]. I will also be complaining to the information commissioner. The tactics used to get this information, are not, in my view, reasonable.

Hope others also complain to try and stop others being duped.

Thanks
    Sal
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family