Which is best Condenser Boiler to buy?

Comments

• neas
    neas Posts: 3,801 Forumite
    XXX2 Duo tec or platinum 40kw or megaflo 33kw boiler…
    Thursday at 2:11am · Like

XXX Those good ones martin? Are they gloworm/worcester bosch? Everyone says to get those types (am wanting a combi condenser).
    Thursday at 4:28pm · Like ·

XX2 Baxi. Type it in google. They won a load of awards last yr. Higher kw = better hot water
    Thursday at 5:51pm · Like

XX2 …With a combi anyway
    Thursday at 6:00pm · Like

XXX how'd you know all that martin? Im a complete newb when it comes to boilers lol.
    Thursday at 9:12pm · Like ·

XXX2 I'm a boiler man lol
    Yesterday at 8:33am · Like

My mate on facebook posted this. he works installing boilers and recommends those two BAXI models as they won tons of awards.... so now i have people saying get a baxi, get a worcester or a valiant oO.. im confused. I think we want to have a 33kw+ model so as to have good flow.
  • ziggyman99
    ziggyman99 Posts: 431 Forumite
    neas wrote: »
    My mate on facebook posted this. he works installing boilers and recommends those two BAXI models as they won tons of awards.... so now i have people saying get a baxi, get a worcester or a valiant oO.. im confused. I think we want to have a 33kw+ model so as to have good flow.
    What flow rate do you have at your kitchen cold water tap? The flow rate will determine what size boiler to fit. It's no good fitting a 33kw boiler if you've only got 10l/min. It would be wasted.
    As for awards - these are given by people in suits - usually as a result of greased palms - not by the engineers who work on them all day long......
    I don't install many Baxi boilers but i've worked on many. There OK but wouldn't be my preferred choice. I think the Worcester or even better the Vaillant would be my choice if it had to be one of those 3 makes. If not then it would have to Viessmann. But i'm biased as I fit them the most.
  • neas
    ziggyman99 wrote: »
    What flow rate do you have at your kitchen cold water tap? The flow rate will determine what size boiler to fit. It's no good fitting a 33kw boiler if you've only got 10l/min. It would be wasted.
    As for awards - these are given by people in suits - usually as a result of greased palms - not by the engineers who work on them all day long......
    I don't install many Baxi boilers but i've worked on many. There OK but wouldn't be my preferred choice. I think the Worcester or even better the Vaillant would be my choice if it had to be one of those 3 makes. If not then it would have to Viessmann. But i'm biased as I fit them the most.

so if i can get a 33kw one which version of the valiant should get?
  • seems to me ...(the way i work it out in my head ...I'm no plumber ..but i like and study engineering)

also the way Ive decided to go.

i either buy a combi condensing boiler or a conventional condensing boiler.

Ive made my mind up to go conventional condensing .

so i heat up tank in the loft ..and try and program it so it never goes flat out ........like a car trying to do 0-60 in the quickest time possible.

Something says to me .,..that every time you turn your kitchen tap on with a combie ..the combie goes flat out maximum.. boiling water at source...thus creating hot cold cycles for the boiler / heat exchanger, what ever its called.

it also acts like a kettle depositing lime scale on the inside ....because of the rapidness of what its trying to do.

now do everything slowly ...no rapidness .,.and you will save fuel and wear and tear.......

i think the conventional condensing will help to achieve this .

think the reason so many combies are being fitted ..is because its less work for the plumber to do .,..and less work for his brain to do .

combie.......cold water sourse.........couple of manifolds for the central heating

conventional....imersion coiled tank.......header tank for that.
    header tank for the heating.header pipes for the top ups........expansion pipes.diverter valves.,..tank stat ..pump.

now you can see why average plumber chooses route that is less palavor...and easiest to make quick and easy money with.

i already have the conventional apparatus in place ...and will arrange for it so that MR plumber does as little work as possible .

if you see it another way please ...say so with explanation ..on how Ive come to the wrong conclusion about this.

all the best.markj
  • neas
    That would prob work if the heating was entirely lossless
    even in a jacket tank the wirioitater will lose some energy to outside its why airing cupboards are warm as hot water is slightly heating air making it warm inside cupboard. So the upside of condenser is you only heat water when you need it... i believe they are more efficient because of that reason.

Is like having a thermos flask kettle whereby it constantly keeps it warm... people dont do that because it would be a waste.
  • i built the tank instalation into the loft myself ..it has at least 1 foot of insultion around it ..and if the heat source is off for a week...take a holiday etc... the water is still pretty warm when i come back.

what im talking about here ..is a condencing boiler...but not a combi.

all the best.markj
  • Canucklehead
    Canucklehead Posts: 6,254 Forumite

think the reason so many combies are being fitted ..is because its less work for the plumber to do .,..and less work for his brain to do .

combie.......cold water sourse.........couple of manifolds for the central heating

conventional....imersion coiled tank.......header tank for that.
    header tank for the heating.header pipes for the top ups........expansion pipes.diverter valves.,..tank stat ..pump.

now you can see why average plumber chooses route that is less palavor...and easiest to make quick and easy money with.

i already have the conventional apparatus in place ...and will arrange for it so that MR plumber does as little work as possible .

all the best.markj

I fit a boiler/system to suit the customer and his or her requirements with guidance on what will work and not work.

Do you think it's possible the customers thirst for space saving and reduced costs drive them to a combi not the installers lack of brain power or desire to get in and out as fast as possible?

GSR.
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
  • Canucklehead

ah, a real plumber

I'm not having a go at you specifically.

given my situation......would you say ..conventional condensing has advantages for boiler life over combi condensing .....and is simpler in design ...and less expensive to repair the actual boiler.

all the best.markj
  • Canucklehead
    Canucklehead Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    Hi

A heat only boiler and a combi are basically the same.

A combi is a heat only boiler with all the components of a heating system built into it.

I have no idea if there is a difference in burner run time on a heat only with a cylinder and a combi. I'm sure there is someone out there who has got the information from the boiler memory and compared, but not me.

Your question could be discussed ad infinitum.

GSR
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
  • Can anyone tell me what is involved in a service.

if,
    I keep my system flushed ..
    I add inhibitor ..
    I add a magnetic filter and regularly clean it ..

I take the cover off ..and blow or clean away dust.
    I check flues and make sure they are good and sound.

I check there are no drips...or moisture in the wrong place

and no gas leaks

so what's the guy to do in this service.

if the boilers emissions are not right ..can they be adjusted

will a nice blue flame tell me that everything is good.

I have a co gas analyzer ....so by taking a readings when its good and new .....i have that to go on for future.

so what's the guy left to do.

all the best.markj
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family