Contractors working at my house, and my car has been badly damaged.

Comments

• bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    ripplyuk wrote: »
    They must have hit it with the lorry that was removing rubble and soil from the garden because there is a small pile of that where the car was parked. A bit was actually on top of the car too. I've taken photos of everything but I accept that I can't prove it was them.
    There is white paint on my car from their lorry.

I'd be straight down to see the boss with the photos and see what he/she says.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,967 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Has the manager come back to you yet? I'd wait until he responds. If his team admit to the collision, it's a case of claiming on their insurance.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    There is white paint on my car from their lorry. I'll ask for their insurance details but I would still rather get a quote for repair before contacting mine. I don't have hire car cover so I'll be stuck without one.

Should I ring one of these accident management companies?

Is their any chance it is worth me trying the small claims court, if I pay out for it all?

White paint that you believe is from their lorry.
  • ripplyuk
    ripplyuk Posts: 2,888 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I've spoken to them again. They apologised for it and said one of the guys must have hit it when he was reversing. Apparently this guy hasn't come in to work today and is not answering his phone. They asked if I wanted them to fix it, or if I wanted to get it fixed myself. They seemed keen for me not to contact my insurer and said they would sort it through theirs.

The garage are strongly encouraging me to use their accident management company, with a credit hire car etc. I don't feel right about increasing the costs, even if this third party will be paying, but I do need a car. They were adamant I don't need to tell my own insurer. I thought I had to, even if I wasn't claiming off them. Could anyone tell me which is true?
  • ripplyuk
    White paint that you believe is from their lorry.

Yes. The lorry was white.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,967 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I've spoken to them again. They apologised for it and said one of the guys must have hit it when he was reversing. Apparently this guy hasn't come in to work today and is not answering his phone. They asked if I wanted them to fix it, or if I wanted to get it fixed myself. They seemed keen for me not to contact my insurer and said they would sort it through theirs.

The garage are strongly encouraging me to use their accident management company, with a credit hire car etc. I don't feel right about increasing the costs, even if this third party will be paying, but I do need a car. They were adamant I don't need to tell my own insurer. I thought I had to, even if I wasn't claiming off them. Could anyone tell me which is true?
    You do need to inform your insurer. It will be in your T&Cs with them. If you neglect to and it subsequently comes to light, you may end up in the difficult situation where your insurance could be cancelled.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post

Put the claim through the builder's insurer, they should sort you out a courtesy car in the meantime. You do have to inform your insurer for information purposes only as you will see from the T&Cs of your policy.
  • ripplyuk
    The quote for repairs is £2300. :eek:
    The whole quarter panel and the bumper need replacing. I passed the details on to the the third party and they are putting it through their insurance. They're taking their time and starting to talk about getting other quotes to see if it can be repaired cheaper, or using their own choice of repair shop. I'd much prefer to use my own place as they have a good reputation.

Am I obliged to get more quotes and/or allow them to repair it? I don't trust they'll do a good job as I know they'll do it as cheaply as possible.

Also, I've read that if I let the third party insurer repair it, I cannot go to the ombudsman if I'm not happy. Is that true? It's making me wonder if I would be better going through the accident management company. At least they'll be looking out for my interests.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Just in case... you should go bang on neighbours' doors, see if anybody saw something and assumed they'd own up/tell you.

"Oh look, he just hit that car.... ah, working at the house - they'll tell them then"
  • jobdone1
    jobdone1 Posts: 841 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Just let them sort it out for goodness sake
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business