disCOURTeous

Comments

• missile
    missile Posts: 11,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 19 April 2017 at 10:49PM
    Lavendyr wrote: »
    Sometimes amazes me how sanctimonious people can be. I'd be as frustrated as you in this situation OP. I wish I could be of help but all I can offer is sympathy!

Unfortunately this forum attracts trolls.
    Thanks your comment, it means more to me than you know :A
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    It's inconvenient but at the end of the day i would say giving evidence in a court case is more important than a holiday.

The defendants future may depend on the evidence you present in court and it seems slightly ridiculous that whether he is found guilty or innocent may depend on whether you are on holiday or not!
  • Tiddlywinks
    Tiddlywinks Posts: 5,777 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    missile wrote: »
    Unfortunately this forum attracts trolls.
    Thanks your comment, it means more to me than you know :A

The fact that someone has given an opinion which is different to your view does NOT make them a troll.
    :hello:
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,680 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Do you actually have proof that this holiday is booked?
    If so, just submit the proof they ask for.

If it's still in the planning stage, it's a bit more complicated but I would write telling them it's an arrangement that involves 6 other couples & that you advised them that you would be unavailable on specific dates - including the new trial date.

TBH, if I'd made myself available for a trial that was postponed through no fault of mine and had told them I was unavailable because of a holiday (that might have cost £thousands), I'd be somewhat miffed too.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 20 April 2017 at 3:49PM
    Thanks, please be advised:
    After the first trial date was cancelled, I did contact CPFS to advise them that I had a holiday booked. They ignored my communication and sent me the second citation. I have responded and sent them proof that I have a holiday booked and await their response.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 20 April 2017 at 7:30PM
    Thanks, please be advised:
    After the first trial date was cancelled, I did contact CPFS to advise them that They ignored my communication and sent me the second citation. I have responded and sent them proof that I have a holiday booked and await their response.

So what you are saying is you contacted them -and they responded.

Personally I'd have rung them. You've not said what the timescale was.
    The message that you may have received i.e. " could be arrested " etc is a standard message .You are a small cog in a big criminal justice wheel.

It could help to protect people who have been intimidated, so it's very clear.

When you are dealing with the Crown it's very standard.
    Until the case has reached court , you are bound by the rules of the court and the Crown.

In this case, I do think there should have been some contact from the police or cps to say
    " the case has been postponed , do you have any more dates",
    Because I think the average person doesn't unnecessarily understand the seriousness , and expense, of being involved in a court case.
    It is a case of when they say ' jump' you jump :( That's what being a witness involves.

I don't really get what you are so offended about.

If you felt the initial hearing was discourteous , you should have spoken to the court clerk.

As for being a troll-I've been a witness a number of times with various jobs.The court has to be afforded a great deal of respect.
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,748 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I now understand why Joe Public are often deaf, dumb and blind and walk on by when they witness an incident. :A

Agreed. Can't understand why anyone would wish to be a witness given the inconvenience and potential personal risk someone takes doing so. Doesn't make it any better when the person is then given a lenient sentence.

As for the person suggesting being a witness is more important than a holiday, that depends on your perspective. I'd certainly be a bit upset if I was negatively financially impacted for carrying out my civic duty.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,082 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I feel for you OP! You try and do the right thing but feel like you are being treated like cr*p!

The time wasted in courts is shocking!

I did jury service a few years ago, and there was SO much of our time wasted. We were delayed 4 hours one day as they forgot to transport the prisoner to the court!!

Not to mention the costs of translators etc...

You have provided a written statement, so if you cannot attend, then they will just have to use that and read it out. Or tell them to set up a conference call so you can attend via video link!
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • ThumbRemote
    ThumbRemote Posts: 4,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    They'll plead guilty at the last minute, so you won't actually be needed anyway.
  • ARandomMiser
    ARandomMiser Posts: 1,756 Forumite
    I feel for you OP.
    The courts have no respect for anyone but themselves and work based on total arrogance. I hope they get their act together and you get away on your holuday.
    IITYYHTBMAD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport