Tales from the city

Comments

• crazy_cat_lady
    crazy_cat_lady Posts: 7,063 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Congratulations ani - things are going so well for you, and how thrifty to get everything sorted on the cheap. Definitely the way to do it!
  • ani*fan
    ani*fan Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Thanks ccl. :) I've got a challenge on the go to get our new place sorted at absolute minimum cost.

I've just spent a hungover day on here, reading diaries and finding out how everyone's getting on. I stumbled across one I hadn't read before and oh my word, the things people go through with their partners. How glad I am for my OH and for our peaceful, loving life together. You absolutely cannot buy that kind of happiness and I'm so grateful for that tonight.

Hope everyone has a pleasant debt busting evening. :heart2:
    If you know you have enough, you're rich. ;)
  • ani*fan
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 16 April 2017 at 9:31AM
    I've checked all the bank accounts and everything looks fine and as it should be. No surprises. I need to do a budget for moving house month, but until we know the date and how much the electrics will cost it's a bit tricky. Need to wait and see.

I had a scary incident with the kitten today. We are 3rd floor and have a balcony. She's been curious about the balcony but has never tried to get out. Today there were birds fluttering around outside and she made a lunge at the door. I got the fright of my life and closed the door quickly, trapping her paw. After some cuddling and a treat she settled down but I think we both got a fright. I'll be so happy when we're on the ground with a garden so she can get out safely.

We sent the wedding invites last week, super early but our guests do have a long way to travel. Acceptances have been coming in via our wedding website and so far everyone can come. :T It's exciting all this. :)

Also had some interest in the expensive thing I'm selling. I have it advertised at £1,200 at the minute and the potential buyer is in London so not sure how that would work. I could post it I guess. I'll have to wait and see if he decides he wants it.

I have Monday off for the holiday so may spend a couple of days relaxing and doing some work on my assignment. Estate agents and solicitors don't open again until Tuesday so nothng much can happen on the house buying front. Just need to relax.

Happy Sunday everyone. :)
  • ani*fan
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I had an email chat with my potential buyer yesterday who possibly wants my expensive thing for his son. He is looking at another one, closer to home, but will let me know today if that works out or not. I've offered him 2 weeks to find out if my thing is right for his son, with full refund if it's not, and I'm thinking if he paid me through paypal then he will have some protection. Does that sound like it would work for us both? I've never sold such an expensive thing online before.

We're going to pick up the carpet this evening. The van we have hired is not too big so I'm just hoping the carpet fits in. We'll see.

It's Easter Monday so our solicitors are still closed, nothing much happening on the house buying front. It does look like we'll get the keys on the 19th of May though. :cool: Can't wait!

My ebay bid for the dining table still only has me as the sole bidder. I'm starting to worry that it's just too big. I guess I'll just have to wait and see about that too.

I'm off work today and working on my assignment. Nothing like being organised. It's good for me to be this disciplined.

Happy debt busting everyone. :)
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Fortune_Smiles Posts: 5,029 Forumite
    Hi Ani

if it was me I wouldn't offer a trial period - what if the item got damaged during that time?

I think the buyer should satisfy themselves that the item is right for them before paying.

Fortune x
    Mortgage: 86% paid Mortgage Neutral: 100% Emergency Fund: 100%
    A Better View 🌄 'Being on the edge isn't as safe, but the view is better' - Ricky Gervais
  • ani*fan
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Thanks fortunesmiles. Do you think I should send it off to London without receiving any money first? I'm a bit worried about doing that, but I really don't know how this is supposed to work. I was hoping someone local would buy it so they could come and look and then buy it or not. Y'know? I'm a bit stuck with it all.
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Fortune_Smiles Posts: 5,029 Forumite
    Absolutely get the money first. You wouldn't walk into a shop and ask to take the item home for two weeks to try it out before you paid.

Advertise the item and describe it as fully and honestly as you can. Answer any questions the buyer has. Post when full payment has been received (and only when cheques have cleared). Offer to refund only if the item is not as described and if it is returned in its original condition. Make sure you keep photographs of the item and postal receipts so you can claim if it gets damaged in transit.

You need to protect yourself as a seller as well as dealing fairly with your buyer.

Fortune x
    Mortgage: 86% paid Mortgage Neutral: 100% Emergency Fund: 100%
    A Better View 🌄 'Being on the edge isn't as safe, but the view is better' - Ricky Gervais
  • ani*fan
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Thanks for that Fortune. He was supposed to get in touch yesterday if he wanted it, but he didn't. I'll stay hopeful for a day or two but it's not a goer, I don't think. Bummer.

I also think the table I bought is going to be too big. I'm hoping to get outbid but I'm still the only bidder. Oh dear. Find out today.

We went to pick up the carpet yesterday and it was absolutely not the colour advertised. It was hideous! So we didn't get it. I'm gutted. I thought we were doing so well getting stuff cheap but this is a setback.

The solicitors are open again today so some stuff to be done. We need to agree the date for completion, and also arrange access to check the electrics. We need to take in proof of deposit so bank statements printed off and they also need to see our ID again, for some reason their mortgage advisers do not speak to their solicitors in that place. I think OH is going to do this, thank goodness.

Overall, not the best day to be going back to work after that lovely Easter weekend. My boss is very ill and off work from now so I'll be on my own trying to manage with things. 10 weeks until the summer holidays. :rotfl:

I think I'm being tested today. It woud be so tempting to blow some cash on a takeaway tonight to cheer me up but the secret to debt busting is to just keep going, even when things are hard, and when it all seems to be going wrong, just keep going and keep going, as though there is nothng else to do. It will all come good in the end.

• Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    ani*fan wrote: »

I think I'm being tested today. It woud be so tempting to blow some cash on a takeaway tonight to cheer me up but the secret to debt busting is to just keep going, even when things are hard, and when it all seems to be going wrong, just keep going and keep going, as though there is nothng else to do. It will all come good in the end.

Ay-men to that:D

There will be more carpets/tables/buyers for your expensive 'thing'...........no need to rush and make mistakes - been there;)
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,112 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I'd advise waiting until you're in before you start buying things for the new flat. Once you're living there you might find you want different things to those you'd envisaged. Plus having the space to get work done and give the place a really deep clean is always a bonus in the first few weeks! You don't want your 'new' stuff getting damaged/dirty, or to be constantly moving boxes around.

Trust me ... I've been living amongst my renovations for 3.5 years now!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure