Which car should I go for

Options
2»

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    A Corsa is the cheapest to insure? Whilst looking at cars for my little one not long ago they were seriously expensive. We could have insured a 1600cc Focus for less than the 1L or 1.2L Corsa.

In the end it was a KA which has a bigger engine but a lot cheaper. Under £1000 which is not bad for her first car.

She loves it and it reminds me of driving MINI's all those years ago. Fiit to the floor and keep it there. Dont lift off unless you have arrived at your destination :)
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Strider590 wrote: »
    Honestly these days I don't think small cars are a good idea as a first car, the way other people drive, the way they seem to try to intimidate small cars, it can't be any good for driver confidence and in some respects it's no wonder you see so many being driven around so over cautiously.

Natural result of driving schools using small hatches and people being nervous of driving anything bigger once they've passed. I wonder if it would make a difference if tests had to be taken in a rather bigger vehicle, at least Focus sized, say.
  • anajames
    anajames Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    Friend had Nissan Micra, i drove it once i would suggest that.
  • BeenThroughItAll
    Options
    liltzero wrote: »
    Unless you're a girl don't choose the Micra. It's like driving a Fiat 500, no man should be near one.

What should a man drive then? An M3? Lexus IS250SE-L? A high-mileage A3? Toyota Corolla?

Or perhaps a Yaris with the optional FBO pack - because everyone knows the Yaris is the most 'manly' of all sexist stereotyped vehicles.
  • Mishomeister
    Mishomeister Posts: 1,051 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Another potential option coming up is Honda Jazz. Any thoughts on this one?
  • consumers_revenge
    Options
    Bubble shape micra - last ones on a 2003 plate is a bit before.

New shape is an electrics nightmare I'm told by the micras owners club

Wife had a L reg micra for the last 6 years. Just check the MOT for mentions of rust on the cross member. These can be welded if rotted but not a deal breaker.

Miss it now its gone, great fun....
  • dannyrst
    dannyrst Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    From the sound of it, cost is your main concern. Get something like an old VW Polo. If you get one under £1000, it'll probably last longer than a Corsa/Micra.
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    "New" micra is a Renault Clio with a more reliable prtrol engine. Avoid.
    (Nissan Note is a Renault Modus with a more reliable petrol engine, avoid, both can be bought with the Renault 1.5 diesel- avoid)

Out of the two I'd go Corsa, but free choice I'd be looking at a Yaris
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Small car with small engine doesn't always mean cheap insurance. With 1 years NCD my 19 year old son was able to insure a 2005 2 litre petrol Ford Mondeo estate for £800 which was £600 cheaper than the 2005 1.3 litre Ford Fiesta whose engine he'd just blown up from lack of oil.
  • Mishomeister
    Mishomeister Posts: 1,051 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tarambor wrote: »
    Small car with small engine doesn't always mean cheap insurance. With 1 years NCD my 19 year old son was able to insure a 2005 2 litre petrol Ford Mondeo estate for £800 which was £600 cheaper than the 2005 1.3 litre Ford Fiesta whose engine he'd just blown up from lack of oil.

I have no NCD, and want a cheap car so I would not worry about every scratch that I may make whilst gaining my driving experience. When I willl become more experienced and confident driver this is when the time for a more serious car will come.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure