Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*

Comments

• mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972
    Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    The liquorice and peppermint tea has sold out at my Aldi, I echo concerns re the teabags being plastic. My Tesco had the Twinings liquorice at a similar price. Verry nice
    Aldi's fantastic foot cream was back on Specialbuy the other week, 10% urea, I do recommend it more than any other. Grab it if you see it. I grabbed three.
    The local free paper has been full of people harrumphing over Aldi customers having to enter their car registration number into a machine on the packing benches within the store after shopping.
    Our Aldi adjoins the town centre and the car park was being used a lot by people not shopping at Aldi. My sympathies are with Aldi.
    It doesn't affect me as I use my adult's trike for shopping, although I don't park it at the cycle rack as this is too far from the trolley point. It usually gets tucked beside the signage at the front of the store.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    The liquorice and peppermint tea has sold out at my Aldi, I echo concerns re the teabags being plastic. My Tesco had the Twinings liquorice at a similar price. Verry nice
    Aldi's fantastic foot cream was back on Specialbuy the other week, 10% urea, I do recommend it more than any other. Grab it if you see it. I grabbed three.
    The local free paper has been full of people harrumphing over Aldi customers having to enter their car registration number into a machine on the packing benches within the store after shopping.
    Our Aldi adjoins the town centre and the car park was being used a lot by people not shopping at Aldi. My sympathies are with Aldi.
    It doesn't affect me as I use my adult's trike for shopping, although I don't park it at the cycle rack as this is too far from the trolley point. It usually gets tucked beside the signage at the front of the store.

Well. I certainly hope they don't introduce this system to either of the Aldi stores I use as I don't pack my shopping on the bench, I take my trolley straight to the car and unload it into bags there. I possibly wouldn't even notice such a machine!

Are people receiving PCNs if they don't "sign out" their vehicles?
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,492
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite

What's the problem with that? Many of the council pay & display meters around here ask for car reg. I think it's to stop people passing on unexpired tickets.

Oddly enough, one of our local Aldis had one of those machines and then thy took it away. No idea why, maybe it was infringing human rights!:rotfl:

I really don't understand why people get so het up about Aldi keeping its car parks for customers' use only. For a small store the 1.5 hours is more than enough. The one occasion I couldn't manage this (car wouldn't start:mad:) the management were very helpful and gave me the name and number of the manager who agreed to verify my reason for overstaying if a fine ensued. It didn't happen but the facility was there.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I don't know whether it is just at one of our local Aldis, but it has a display, at the entrance, offering 50% off the lowest price of items shown.

I bought two pairs of ladies' leather gloves(originally £9.99 a pair) for £6.98, a wide fluffy scarf for £1.99,two bottles of Swarfega for £1.98 and two sets of pottery measuring spoons and cups for £4.98. There were lots of children's rugby balls and pasta tool gift sets.
  • Feral_Moon
    maman wrote: »
    What's the problem with that? Many of the council pay & display meters around here ask for car reg. I think it's to stop people passing on unexpired tickets.

Maybe your car park is different but all the Aldi stores I've ever visited have ANPR cameras which track the time you enter and leave the car park. There is no ticket machine.

But, if I'm understanding the OP correctly, some Aldi stores are now installing machines in the packing area of th store for customers to input their registration numbers prior to leaving the store as proof they used the car park as intended.

What I would like to know is whether a failure to input these details results in being issued with a postal PCN?

If so, this is bang out of order unless customers are clearly notified that they must do this before leaving the store, preferably by the cashier otherwise, as in my case, people could leave the store oblivious to the fact it's even there!
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,492
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Feral_Moon wrote: »

If so, this is bang out of order unless customers are clearly notified that they must do this before leaving the store, preferably by the cashier otherwise, as in my case, people could leave the store oblivious to the fact it's even there!

This is exactly what happened. Certainly for the first few weeks until people got used to the practice. Not sure why they took them away though. I wonder whether you might be right and people were getting notices but could prove (from receipt) that they'd been shopping in the store so cased more hassle than they were worth.
  • Happygreen
    Happygreen Posts: 2,948
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    The Lidl in "big town" centre has that kind of car park. I absolutely understand as folks just used it as a free car park and did their shopping in town, blocking the spaces for Lidl shoppers.
    Our local Lidl is a nightmare to park atm because of the extension building work going on and they already moved the trolleypark right in between the cars, too. I am a bit concerned for when it's done about spaces but I suppose when the builders have tidied up it will get better...
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win - Gandhi
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972
    Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    I honestly have no idea if the notices are being issued, possibly. People were mostly moaning as they now have to walk an extra 100 yards or so from the FREE multi-storey car park in the town centre if they are not bona-fide Aldi customers.

There was the usual snobbish 'wouldn't be seen dead shopping there, why should I have to?' response from those who are nevertheless happy to park there, depriving proper Aldi customers of a parking spot.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • Feral_Moon
    maman wrote: »
    This is exactly what happened. Certainly for the first few weeks until people got used to the practice. Not sure why they took them away though. I wonder whether you might be right and people were getting notices but could prove (from receipt) that they'd been shopping in the store so cased more hassle than they were worth.

Well, I always save my Aldi receipts so will always have proof I was parked legitimately. There was one occasion my car broke down in the car park and I had to await a recovery truck. As a result, I exceded the 90min parking limit by at least an hour. The cheeky parking people only sent me a PCN with a cropped photo of my car's number plate as it was leaving the car park backwards whilst loaded on a recovery trailer!! :rotfl:

Needless to say, I appealed their idiotic PCN and they withdrew it sharpish lol
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Another thing I seen many customers do is to go to a checkout with the sign in red as cashier is leaving and they have a go at the poor cashier.

Has anyone else had seen customers in both Aldi and Lidl do this?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure