List of Banks not doing contactless cards

They all seem to be sending these annoying contactless cards out now, and I was hoping that somewhere there was a list of banks that wont be having these or that you can have a card without it as I dont want it.

I've just had to cancel 2 credit cards due to being told that the new cards issued by them can only have the contactless thing in them :mad:, and one bank account.

I dont want it, its not necessary for me, so if there is a list of banks/credit cards that dont do or inversly that do - so I can avoid them, can someone list it on here.

If not then please can MoneySavingExpert do an investigation on how to avoid being contactless, please :o

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Why dont you want 1 ?

A genuine question
  • PGSchick
    PGSchick Posts: 14 Forumite
    because I dont have a need for it and I dislike the idea that someone else can just swipe my card over things debiting my account if they stole my cards.

Anyway what does it matter why I dont want it, why are the banks/credit cards just rolling it out without warning?

Ok at least Barclays told me it was coming and I could ring them asking for a card without it.

Not so with amazon credit card, if you dont have the contactless function you cant get an ordinary credit card and they didnt warn it was coming just automatically switched me to it when renewing my card - WHY?
  • stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,844 Forumite
    I understand there is technology being tested that will allow you turn the contactless facility on and off at whim.

When ever it will get implemented is another question...
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
  • InsideInsurance
    InsideInsurance Posts: 22,460 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3926817

The above thread from earlier today suggests some ways of disabling the contactless aspect of a card
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    And I have seen it mentioned (possibly in the thread that II linked to) that the first time you do a contactless transaction you have to enter a PIN, so if you never do one then nobody can ever take money from the card that way. Whether a card is contactless or not should not be your primary reason for choosing an issuer.
  • Gromitt
    Gromitt Posts: 5,063 Forumite
    agrinnall wrote: »
    And I have seen it mentioned (possibly in the thread that II linked to) that the first time you do a contactless transaction you have to enter a PIN, so if you never do one then nobody can ever take money from the card that way.
    But people can still use the card online regardless of whether or not you've activated the contactless functionality, so keep it in an appropriate wallet and only take it out when you intend to use it.
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    PGSchick wrote: »
    They all seem to be sending these annoying contactless cards out now, and I was hoping that somewhere there was a list of banks that wont be having these or that you can have a card without it as I dont want it.

You might find this useful, but it doesn't appear to have been updated for a year: https://www.contactless.info/UpdateOnUkRollout.asp.
  • madgagoo
    madgagoo Posts: 354 Forumite
    First direct don't offer one, yet. I believe this will change in the near future however.

Tbh I expect all banks will change to offer contactless cards some time soon. I think you ought to change the question to be which banks offer an option to opt out of contactless cards. For what it's worth Natwest do allow you to opt out, however they are only being issued on request at the moment (mostly!).
  • I bank with Barclays & I'm not keen on having a contactless card either for the same reasons that OP has. I asked Barclays to disable the function. They said that it wasn't possible but if it was used fraudulently they would refund me. Not sure I believe them.
  • stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,844 Forumite
    I bank with Barclays & I'm not keen on having a contactless card either for the same reasons that OP has. I asked Barclays to disable the function. They said that it wasn't possible but if it was used fraudulently they would refund me. Not sure I believe them.

You need to ask Barclays to issue you with a ELECTRONIC visa debit card they are non contactless cards.
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family